Barkley
Malone
Drexler
Hakeem
Ewing
David Robinson
Shaq
Reggie Miller

These guys were better then Pippen, I used 1989-1995 I think.
Bird's last Larry Bird season was 1988
Barkley was routinely savaged throughout his career as a me first gunner
Clyde Drexler was better than pippen? Ridiclous
Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson and Ewing are all centers and as such one of them was always the 4th best center in the league when Pippen was the best SF.
Reggie Miller? He is surely a better announcer. Even he wouldnt say he was better than Pippen.

Ask Jordan who he would have rather had as a running mate and outside of Hakeem or Shaq he is taking Pippen everytime. (Bird was a corpse in the 90's)
LOL
Old 07-09-2010, 12:05 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by satan's twin View Post
One of the most amazing aspects of these signings is that while Miami gets three superstars, it has no cap space to add other pieces. It was looking as though the remainder of the roster would be filled with a half dozen guys named "Who?" For the immediate future, that would not bode well for America's Newest Team. Especially when you consider that an injury to D. Wade or Chris Bosch leaves America's Team anchored by LeBron James, a player who when last on the court with all the chips on the table on the biggest stage, looked like Tarzan/played like Jane.

Now comes word that the idiot bastard running the Timberwolves gives the Heat even more comfort and relief by taking the psychotic bust, Michael Beasley and his $5 million salary cap hit, off the Heat's books. The Heat now will make moves to add role players at will. Pat Riley must have blackmail pictures of the T-Wolves' GM under a dog in order for Minnesota to make this trade.

Call me crazy but I LOVE THE HEATS 3 SECOND ROUND PICKS, TOTALLY LOVE THEM. I think they all make the team and get some burn.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:11 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
This sort of makes my case for me.
Yeah, I realized I was wrong after I saw that.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
One of the most amazing aspects of these signings is that while Miami gets three superstars, it has no cap space to add other pieces. It was looking as though the remainder of the roster would be filled with a half dozen guys named "Who?" For the immediate future, that would not bode well for America's Newest Team. Especially when you consider that an injury to D. Wade or Chris Bosch leaves America's Team anchored by LeBron James, a player who when last on the court with all the chips on the table on the biggest stage, looked like Tarzan/played like Jane.

Now comes word that the idiot bastard running the Timberwolves gives the Heat even more comfort and relief by taking the psychotic bust, Michael Beasley and his $5 million salary cap hit, off the Heat's books. The Heat now will make moves to add role players at will. Pat Riley must have blackmail pictures of the T-Wolves' GM under a dog in order for Minnesota to make this trade.
They may have more money than everyone thinks if the three take less than the max. While it would seem to be a longshot as NBA players rarely sacrifice for the good of the team even if that ultimately is good for them, there have been some rumblings that this may happen. It wont be much but most NBA teams dont play more than 8 guys regularly anyway.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:16 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Yeah, I realized I was wrong after I saw that.
The funny thing is as a Knick fan I spent most of the 90's battling with bandwagon Bulls fans over pippen since it was really hard to make much of a case against Jordan. But looking back he was the glue to that team and there really hasnt been anyone like him since.
Old 07-09-2010, 12:58 PM
Hollywood Park

Here goes the Cleveland owner acting like a slave master . He just can't resist the name calling and hurling insults at a man that exercized his right to leave his job .

As with any good employee, they (Cleveland) needed James more than he needed them .

Last edited by richard : 07-09-2010 at 01:16 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:17 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard View Post
Here goes the Cleveland owner acting like a slave master . He just can't resist the name calling and hurling insults at a man that exercized his right to leave his job .

As with any good employee, they (Cleveland) needed James more than he needed them .
Slave master?
Old 07-09-2010, 01:43 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

Really? If the draft pick isnt protected, I agree but something tells me that it will be. If all they are giving up is a 2nd round pick next year and a lottery protected swap of future number 1's in the year 2200, how is this a bad deal for minnesota? They get a one year trial on a guy that was the second overall pick two years ago and is still in his rookie contract. If he blows up, great, you have a star that you can re-sign next year. If not, what did you really lose?

If anything, minnesota got a gift.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Mike Miller to Heat. Riley is working quickly to fill in the gaps. Let me make it 2-5 that dala says this too is a bad move.
I hate Mike Miller but at those dollars for what they need him to do, its a great signing.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Worthy played wing on a fast break offense with the best point guard in history. I could have scored 15 and grabbed 5 rebounds a game in that offense with magic.

Since defense is 1/2 the game and pippen was easily one of the top defensive players in the game it is hard to say a guy who scored 17 points a game makes that an even trade.

If you were choosing teams from scratch and you had to take one of these two, virtually everyone would choose Pippen. Worthy's skill set was just not that unique in the NBA. Pippen's absolutely were.
Pippen was better in my opinion. You could run an offense through Pippen as Chicago did lots of times with or without Jordan. When I say "run the offense" I mean simply that he could be the primary ball handler. Pippen had that unique ability to fill the wing or the run break. The list of guys that can actually do that effectively is smaller than people think.

He could also play the point on the press on defense although Grant played that role until he left for orlando. It is a special defensive player that can play both the point and the front wing in a press defense. It takes a huge degree of versatility as you have to be long and agile enough to play point and quick enough to play wing.

Worthy shouldn't be underrated though and I think that you may be unintentionally doing that in your posts. He wasn't just a wing filler on a fast break. He had one of the best first steps in the game and presented a major matchup problem for most teams with his size and quickness on the wing. A top 50 player? No, but certainly from 1983-1989 one of the best small forwards in the game.
Old 07-09-2010, 01:59 PM
Del Mar

Quote:

Slave master?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Coach Pants

He made a mistake trusting the guy. It's only "business" where ethics be damned.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
LOL

Titles as a measure of a players worth is stupid. Especially in the case of Hill who may have had a ring had his ankle not broke into 50 pieces. What is ridiclous is that Kobe Bryant was saying the same exact thing a few years ago when he was pouting and demanding to be traded unless the lakers added some better pieces. I guess Chris Wallace being completely incompetent makes up for that. If you dont know who Chris Wallace is then you dont really know what is going on anyway.
Who know's about Hill, but I agree, without the injury, who knows what he could have done, or won. Who knows if Labron would have won a title if he didn't have his attitude? We could play guessing games all day long.

I dislike Kobe a ton too. Chris Wallace being an idiot played a part in the Lakers winning, but so has their ownership willing to pay $20mil in luxery tax.

I really dislike the NBA. I don't think I have enjoyed watching it since the Bull's run or the Piston years.

I was sucked into the Lebron/ESPN vortex...now I need to find a way out...
Old 07-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Bird's last Larry Bird season was 1988
Barkley was routinely savaged throughout his career as a me first gunner
Clyde Drexler was better than pippen? Ridiclous
Hakeem, Shaq, Robinson and Ewing are all centers and as such one of them was always the 4th best center in the league when Pippen was the best SF.
Reggie Miller? He is surely a better announcer. Even he wouldnt say he was better than Pippen.

Ask Jordan who he would have rather had as a running mate and outside of Hakeem or Shaq he is taking Pippen everytime. (Bird was a corpse in the 90's)
LOL
Clyde Drexler vs. Scottie Pippen is certainly debatable. I don't think there is anything "ridiculous" about that notion. Drexler's teams were consistently amongst the best in the league and he was their best player. Often, it was Jordan that Drexler was being compared to (now that might be ridiculous). From any standpoint besides "titles" which you already said was a poor measure, Drexler's career matches up very well with Pippen's.
Old 07-09-2010, 02:40 PM
Woodbine

Quote:

Wow, really?

I mean, really?
Old 07-09-2010, 02:45 PM
Hollywood Park

They should thank James for the 7 years he dedicated to them and get over it .
Old 07-09-2010, 02:47 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
LOL

Titles as a measure of a players worth is stupid. Especially in the case of Hill who may have had a ring had his ankle not broke into 50 pieces. What is ridiclous is that Kobe Bryant was saying the same exact thing a few years ago when he was pouting and demanding to be traded unless the lakers added some better pieces. I guess Chris Wallace being completely incompetent makes up for that. If you dont know who Chris Wallace is then you dont really know what is going on anyway.
What the hell does Biggie have to do with the Lakers?
Old 07-09-2010, 03:20 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'm with AR on this one. The NBA sucks, and yet I'm somehow paying attention to this LeBron nonsense. I need a way out.
Old 07-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
I hate Mike Miller but at those dollars for what they need him to do, its a great signing.
You dont like him because he has nicer hair than you do
Old 07-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani View Post
Clyde Drexler vs. Scottie Pippen is certainly debatable. I don't think there is anything "ridiculous" about that notion. Drexler's teams were consistently amongst the best in the league and he was their best player. Often, it was Jordan that Drexler was being compared to (now that might be ridiculous). From any standpoint besides "titles" which you already said was a poor measure, Drexler's career matches up very well with Pippen's.
Drexler was a great offensive player but Pippen was a better all around player.