Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2024, 04:03 PM
The Curragh

Default ROI Results 5/11 @ Aqueduct

Saturday's weather wasn't too bad. Most of the races stayed on the grass and a few players
enjoyed a nice spring afternoon at Aqueduct. 6 tickets were cashed and 3 payout slots were
filled. Digger stayed true to form and gets the number 3 spot with a cashed ticket on Nation's
Pride in the the 7th worth $120. Joly B gets second place and a nice profit of $97. JB went the
exacta route on Saturday and his early array in Race 4 paid a nice $11.60 for each of his 13
tickets. It wasn't near good enough as this weeks winner put on quite a show. NJ Stinks did
some spring cleaning, got out his broom and swept his wagers into a neat pile. NJS started his
day with a win bet on Antiquarion who paid a sweet double digit $13.80. He followed that up
with another double digit winner in the 7th, Silver Knott, who paid $10.20 In addition he played
both of those in a straight double good for $26.50 and an overall whopping profit of $645 for the
day. That was some nice pre Preakness handicapping NJS. Nicely played and congrats on
your big win. Following are the unofficial results pending any objections. See you all next week
at the Preakness.

WIN... NJ Stinks... +$645.00... R 6 - $40 to win on #6 $13.80 X 20... $276.00
R 6 - $20 Daily Double 6/8 $26.50 X 10... $265.00
R 7 - $40 to win on #8 $10.20 X 20... $204.00

PLACE... Joly B... +$97.20... R 4 $13 Exacta: 6 / 2,4 $11.60 X 13... $197.20

SHOW... Digger... +$20.00... R7: 9 ( SHOW $100 ) $2.40 X 50... $120.00

Indian Hemp -$79.43 R7 10c Super 8 / 1 / 9 / 5... $19.77

Cal828 -$88.00

DonGuido -$96.00

Zippy -$98.00

Cruzan -$100.00

Real Quiet -$100.00

Ruffian -$100.00
Old 05-13-2024, 06:42 PM
Havre de Grace

Great plays and I think it also goes to show that you don't have to make your play all that complicated to get a great return. Now, if only I could remember that for the next contest. Course, I might also need to do some better handicapping. That might help!
Old 05-13-2024, 11:03 PM
Hawthorne

A few things on my mind that I want to share:

First, you may wonder how I can play every week while in Australia and New Zealand but then miss Derby weekend after returning home. The answer is that I played some tickets with a buddy of mine who lives in Maine and I also gave my older brother all my picks over the two days. This left me preoccupied when it was time to post picks here. (And post time came really early both days.)

Second, it's bragging I know but it was the second biggest ticket I ever cashed. My buddy in Maine and I played a 50 cent Pick 4 on Derby Day starting with Race 6. It cost us $48 each to cover the $96 ticket. When Graham Motion's horse won the 9th race at 47-1, we hit the Pick 4. It came back $6,536! No federal tax is due - under the new laws passed a couple years ago you have to collect at 300-1 for every dollar spent on the winning ticket. Since I bet my half of the cost at NJBets and that turned out to be the winning ticket, I would have to have collected $48 x $300 or $14,400 before my bet would have been subject to federal wagering tax.

The truth is that this kind of hit would have meant the world to me in my younger days. Nowadays not so much....but it was a lot of fun!
Old 05-14-2024, 05:50 AM
Oriental Park

That's a great story NJS, and congrats on your Derby Day hit. Somehow, they always feel just a little bit sweeter when those scores come on big race days and the adrenaline is flowing from the start.

While you told us such a hit would have meant even more to you in your younger days, I would suggest that if you go out to dinner with the winnings of that nice score, the steak will still have a little extra sizzle to it and the glass of wine will be a bit more mellow.

Here's hoping you can replicate that feat on Preakness Day.
Old 05-14-2024, 06:11 AM
The Curragh

Great post NJS. I've always thought a lot of good handicappers have crossed my path over the years at this forum and sometimes I'm proved right. I wish in my 50 years of capping I had a story like that to tell but I'm still waiting.
Old 05-14-2024, 08:57 AM
Havre de Grace

Like RQ, I don't have any stories to match or even come close to that, but I still like to hear them. I was a little puzzled by your last sentence about it not meaning quite as much now for you as it might have in younger days, but I just had to think about my own younger days of way less affluence than today to get what you are saying. 6k would have been way more than I made my first year out of college.
Old 05-14-2024, 09:11 AM
Narragansett Park

Congrats on the win and I hear what you're saying.

Plenty of time for countin' when the dealings done....
Old 05-14-2024, 04:32 PM
Ellis Park

GREAT WIN NJS!!! Thanks for scoring Pete!!
Old 05-14-2024, 09:48 PM
Hawthorne

Thanks, everybody.

In defense of all of us seniors, for about half of our lives we would have had to hit a trifecta or a twin-trifecta to hit something really big. No Pick 3's, 4's, 5's, or Pick 6's were on the menu. Here's an interesting tidbit from this link:

https://www.kentuckyderby.com/horses...me-since-1875/

"It wasn’t until the 1980s that Kentucky Derby betting started expanding in reach and complexity.
Simulcast wagering began as a one-off experiment in 1981 and resumed in 1984, allowing bettors at racetracks and locations other than Churchill Downs to wager into the giant Kentucky Derby betting pools at Churchill Downs.

This technological advance was followed by innovative wagering offerings. The exacta joined the Kentucky Derby betting menu in 1985, followed by the trifecta in 1994 and the superfecta in 1996.

Multi-race wagers also entered the fold as pari-mutuel betting expanded. The Pick 6 was introduced at Churchill Downs in July 1984, requiring bettors to pick the winners of six consecutive races. A Pick 6 ending with the Kentucky Derby quickly became a staple of the betting menu, alongside other popular options, like the Pick 3 and a special double wager requiring bettors to select the winners of both the Kentucky Derby and the Kentucky Oaks."

At any rate, I feel compelled to say that IMO the Preakness card offers less opportunities to make a score than CD on Derby Day or Belmont on Belmont Day. Mainly because Pimlico has the most consistent dirt surface. The best horse usually wins the dirt races races there for a reason and I believe it's the really honest surface. A horse not taking to it is rare.