Old 10-18-2010, 08:41 PM
Santa Anita

Default Stathi Katsidis

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225940584261

Unbelievable.

My thoughts are with his family.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:16 AM
Randwyck

We are all shocked...On a Beautiful blue day in Brissie it's like a dark cloud has desended how he passed does not matter just that he's gone
R.I.P STATHI
Old 10-19-2010, 07:37 AM
Santa Anita

Australasia has lost a great rider. I'll never forget his ride aboard Sister Havana (an average horse, to be fair) to win the Karaka Million in January this year. A rare talent.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:46 PM
Hippodrome Bluebonnets

very sad another young person gone before his time r.i.p.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:58 PM
Saratoga

For reasons beyond my control on for one sec and have not been on since Sunday...

Logged on and saw his name and thought oh how nice, someone made a thread for him cause he is truly a fine jockey. The type who, if you're between horses and see that he's on one? You might lean toward that one (well I did anyway).

Stunned. Just speechless.

The world has lost a good one.

I don't know what else I can possibly say here...

Absolutely tragic.
Old 10-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Ellis Park

Maybe not so bad afterall....he did say he couldnt wait for the next chapter...

Some people just dont know when they have it good....RIP.
Old 10-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Louisiana Downs

Brother of Michael Katsidis?
Old 10-19-2010, 04:51 PM
Saratoga

Jesus.
Old 10-19-2010, 06:58 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
Jesus.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 PM
Saratoga

!

Who might he be talking to?

I am not going to answer that one.
Old 10-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
!

Who might he be talking to?

I am not going to answer that one.
I checked it out and he is, RIP.

Brush up on your boxing knowledge clyde.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamthelurker View Post
I checked it out and he is, RIP.

Brush up on your boxing knowledge clyde.
Care-lah........please.
Old 10-19-2010, 09:36 PM
Saratoga

You're thinking of Stanley Ketchel..you fool.
Old 10-20-2010, 04:04 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225940584261

Unbelievable.

My thoughts are with his family.
He was a very good jockey in Queensland, maybe not the time to bring it up but I thought his riding slipped abit of late. Still he will be missed.
Old 10-21-2010, 11:41 PM
Saratoga

Cannot imagine how she feels.

Act of kindness torments Katsidis's fiancee
By aap racing/glenn davis 8:14AM 21 OCT 2010 Australia:

Stathi Katsidis's grieving fiancee Melissa Jackson has revealed how her actof kindness may have contributed to the champion Queensland jockey's death.

Jackson found Katsidis's body in their rented home at Hendra on Brisbane's northside early on Tuesday morning.

Jackson regrets moving Katsidis, who she found asleep in their lounge around 3am, and placing a pillow under his head on the floor.

Anautopsy has failed to determine the exact cause of death but Jackson believes the 31-year-old suffocated.

"I know what the autopsy has said but I believe in my heart he suffocated," a weeping Jackson told AAP.

"He'd been drinking for 12 hours straight and couldn't walk but I couldn't carry him to bed.

"I was worried he might be sick in his sleep so I moved him to the floor and put a pillow under his head.

"He was fine then but when I woke later around eight he was in a similar position but face down in the pillow, dead."

Jackson's father, Tony Jackson, who is a police officer, said the autopsy report was inconclusive and theexact cause of death might not be known for several months.

"The autopsy report came back yesterday and was inconclusive," Tony Jackson said.

"Stathi's heart was fine and there was no trauma. We'llhave to wait now for toxicology results which could take several months."

Melissa Jackson said the tragic day started with Katsidis playing tennis with fellow jockey Brad Stewart on Monday morning.

A drinkingsession at a local hotel followed with Stewart, his partner and two friends from Katsidis's home town of Toowoomba.

Jackson said they farewelled Stewart and his partner around 3pm when they left the hotel to pick up her son from daycare and returned home with his Toowoomba mates.

She said the group stayed at their home for a "boy's night in".

Jackson said she briefly quarrelled with Katsidis later that night about his partying and went to bed.

"I was just tired and didn't want to fight with him about his drinking," she said.

"I wasn't asleep and I could hear them mucking around so around 2am I went out and told his friends to leave."

Jackson said she went back to her bed but returned an hour later to check on Katsidis who was sleeping and snoring on their couch in the lounge.

"Everyone was gone by then and Stathi was asleep onthe couch," she said.

She then moved him to the floor with a pillow, fearing he might be sick.

Jackson said she normally never went to bed without Katsidis.

"I never go to bed without him but I gave up that night," she said.

"I should have brought him to bed with me somehow but I couldn't move him.

"I shouldn't have given him the pillow."

Katsidis' body has been released and a funeral will be held in Toowoomba on Tuesday.

Katsidis was due to ride AJC Australian Derby winner Shoot Out in the $3 million Cox Plate at Moonee Valley on Saturday.

He had a history of drug-related problems and had a long battle with his weight.

He was disqualified for nine months but was allowed to return in seven months after testing positive to ecstasy in 2008.

In February 2008, Katsidis had a blood alcohol level more than three times the legal limit when pulled over by police at Toowoomba.

He was fined $1000 for drink driving and disqualified from driving for six months.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...international/
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM
Coach Pants

He'd be alive if his drug of choice was pot.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:21 AM
Saratoga

Unlike a few other posts on here yeah Coach I know what you're saying..
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 AM
Coach Pants

Stathi dying...now clyde. I've been out of sorts the past few days.
Old 10-22-2010, 02:24 PM
Saratoga

The Sydney Morning Herald

Brown pledges trophy to Stathi
Steve Butler and Andrew Eddy
October 23, 2010

COREY BROWN has revealed his emotional vow to bury his Cox Plate trophy with his mate Stathi Katsidis next Tuesday if he wins today's great race aboard Shoot Out at Moonee Valley.

The reigning Melbourne Cup winner said replacing Katsidis, who was found dead in his Brisbane home on Tuesday, on Shoot Out had delivered him the most emotionally testing ride in his roller-coaster career.

Brown said the ''ordinary circumstances'' had brought back vivid memories of the only time he was ever happy to run second in a race, when runner-up with Mr Prudent to Media Puzzle and Damien Oliver just days after the death of the West Australian jockey's brother, Jason.

''My wife and I were talking about the Cox Plate at home, and I told her if I won the Cox Plate, that plate will be going in with him because it's not rightfully mine,'' an emotional Brown said. ''It's rightfully Stathi's if we win, and I'll be out there doing the best job I can. If it comes off, it will be an added bonus.''

Brown also angrily hit out at claims Katsidis had not overcome his admitted past obsessions with drugs and alcohol, saying his record as the rider with the most wins in Australia last season had been ample proof.

Brown was chosen on Tuesday evening to partner the four-year-old in the $3 million race following the death of Katsidis. He will also wear the popular jockey's silks, after a request from Katsidis's fiancee Melissa Jackson. He and the other nine riders in the race will wear black armbands as a tribute to the 31-year-old.

Millions of people watched Brown win last year's Melbourne Cup on Shocking, but the jockey said yesterday he had never felt the public's glare or the pressure of expectation like he has this week.

''I've never gone into a race with so much pressure, and never been in a race like this with such a fancied, or spoken-about runner,'' he said.

''It's very ordinary circumstances to pick this ride up. There's a lot of pressure not only because I'm on a fancied runner but the way I picked it up. It's not good circumstances but it's business for me once I go out on the track. I know I've got the world on my shoulders, and Stathi will be there with, me but I've also got a job to do, and I'll go out and do it.''

Brown said he did not have to think twice about wearing Katsidis's silks. ''I got a phone call from Melissa, his fiancee, on Wednesday morning once they knew I was riding the horse, and [she] asked if I could wear Stathi's silks. Obviously, that's not going to be a problem. They got down to me this morning by express post.''

It will not be a simple job either. For while Brown has to attempt to beat Australasia's best horse So You Think, he has to do it on a horse he is yet to even sit on. But Brown is the ultimate professional, and has pored over tapes of the horse's 16 previous starts.

''I wouldn't say he [Shoot Out] is a press-button ride,'' he said. ''Watching his last two runs, he sometimes gets a bit aggressive mid-race.''

Brown said, with that in his mind, Shoot Out was a genuine contender. ''He's not brilliant in his turn of foot but he's tough, and he seems to keep wanting to be, there so that's what I like about him.''
Old 05-07-2011, 12:36 PM
Saratoga

http://www.thoroughbrednews.com.au/a....aspx?id=52969