Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Default A US filly/mare ever won 3 Gr. 1s against the boys in 1 year?

I am guessing that some filly or mare might have done it lifetime, but in one year?

Again, I am talking an American based horse, not a Euro winning Group 1 races.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:05 AM
Idlewild Airport

None other than our very own Jersey foal Regret did that and more but that was before races were graded.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Fairgrounds

Winning Colors got 2 as a 3YO
Old 08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
Oaklawn

Busher just missed in the SA Derby then later that year won the Arlington H, the Washington Park H (over Armed) and the Hollywood Derby. Of course there were no grades then but those were all very important events.
Gallorette won the Brooklyn, Met Mile and Bay Shore (then for older sprinters) all over the boys in one season.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
None other than our very own Jersey foal Regret did that and more but that was before races were graded.
I honestly couldn't judge the quality of races back then.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
Busher just missed in the SA Derby then later that year won the Arlington H, the Washington Park H (over Armed) and the Hollywood Derby. Of course there were no grades then but those were all very important events.
Gallorette won the Brooklyn, Met Mile and Bay Shore (then for older sprinters) all over the boys in one season.
I think your first example would likely qualify--those were all a big deal at the time, no doubt. I don't know enough about the former Bay Shore to judge whether it was a Gr. 1 equivalent.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector
I honestly couldn't judge the quality of races back then.
Well sure you can if you look at the fact they were the top races of the day.

Regret (1912 - April 11, 1934) was a famous American thoroughbred racehorse and the first of three fillies to ever win the Kentucky Derby.

Foaled at Harry Payne Whitney's Brookdale Farm in Lincroft, New Jersey, and sired by the 1913-1915 leading sire and National Museum of Racing and Hall of Famer Broomstick, (son of Ben Brush, also inducted into the Hall of Fame), and out of Jersey Lightning who goes back to the great Longfellow through his Kentucky Derby winning son, Riley), Regret was bred by owner Harry Payne Whitney.

Trained by James G. Rowe, Sr., in 1914 Regret became the first of only four horses to ever win all three Saratoga Race Course events for two-year-olds: the Saratoga Special Stakes, Sanford Stakes and Hopeful Stakes. Joining her would be Campfire (1916), Dehere (1993), and City Zip (2000). The following year, campaigning as a three-year-old, she won the 1915 Kentucky Derby. For her performances that season, Regret earned the most prestigious honor in racing, voted the Eclipse Award for Horse of the Year.[1]

Regret was retired to the new Whitney farm in Lexington, Kentucky after the 1917 racing season. In this last season, she raced in the Brooklyn Handicap against the best of her generation: Old Rosebud, Roamer, Omar Khayyam (winner of the 1917 Kentucky Derby), Boots, Ormsdale and Chiclet. In the final strides, she was defeated by a nose by her stablemate, Borrow, giving away 5 pounds.

Ultimately a disappointment as a broodmare, she produced only one major stakes winner—Revenge—out of eleven foals.

She died in 1934, aged 22, and was buried at the Whitney farm in Lexington.

Regret was inducted into the National Museum of Racing and Hall of Fame in 1957. In the Blood-Horse magazine ranking of the top 100 U.S. thoroughbred champions of the 20th Century, she was #71. (Roamer ranks 99th, Old Rosebud, 88th.)

Contents [hide]
1 Career record
2 Of interest
3 References
4 External links

[edit] Career record
Out of 11 starts in four seasons (1914-1917), Regret won nine, and placed second in one. The only race she was not placed in was the 1916 Saratoga Handicap. Throughout her career, she was never beaten by a female horse.

[edit] Of interest
In a poll among members of the American Trainers Association, conducted in 1955 by Delaware Park Racetrack, Regret was voted the third greatest filly in American racing history. Gallorette was voted first.

1915 was the year of the Triple Crown filly as Rhine Maiden won the Preakness Stakes but Regret was not entered in the Preakness to challenge her. Not since 1915 has more than one Triple Crown race been won by a filly.
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Ellis Park

Ruthless won the first Belmont in 1867 and the Travers, as well as the Sequel...

G1 races have gone up and down over the years, but some--as in the first two--do not change,,,The Sequel attracted the best,and probably was the equivalent...

Regret ran in and won races against males that included time honored G1s...
Old 08-04-2009, 11:35 AM
Idlewild Airport

Quote:
Originally Posted by prudery
Ruthless won the first Belmont in 1867 and the Travers, as well as the Sequel...

G1 races have gone up and down over the years, but some--as in the first two--do not change,,,The Sequel attracted the best,and probably was the equivalent...

Regret ran in and won races against males that included time honored G1s...
She also never lost to a female horse in her career.
Old 08-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Oaklawn

Regret never won 3 races that we'd consider the G1's of her time over boys (within a year) but she did win the Sar Special, the Sanford and the Hopful against boys. She was 2 for 2 at age three winning the Derby and Saranac then she was sidelined for 9 months again.

Last edited by Linny : 08-04-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Churchill Downs

Serena's Song?
Old 08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
Hialeah Park

It's restricted to Canadian breds but Dance Smartly won the Canadian Triple Crown.
Old 08-04-2009, 06:55 PM
Oaklawn

Serena won the Jim Beam (G2) and the Haskell at 3. The Haskell was her only G1 WIN over males.
Old 08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Churchill Downs

Also without grades at the time, but Ta Wee won the Vosburgh and Fall Highweight (carrying 130 pounds) at 3. She won the Fall Highweight the following year under 140 pounds.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:50 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by tector
I am guessing that some filly or mare might have done it lifetime, but in one year?

Again, I am talking an American based horse, not a Euro winning Group 1 races.
All Along came over here and took the Rothman's, Turf Classic, and D.C. International in 1983. All were Grade 1s. She wasn't American based, but she wasn't Group 1 races either.