Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-02-2009, 02:52 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Default Jara

All his many admirers really need to take a look at his ride at AP R4 today. How'd you like to be the connection of this horse and have her on her to an easy win when Jara decides to do his Coa impersonation and whip her righty when she's just off the rail? Of course, she ducks in, hits the rail, gets forced back to lefty lead after bouncing off it, and, while passed by a couple, continues on gamely for 3rd. Vigorous hand ride, suffices, Fernando.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_fat_man
All his many admirers really need to take a look at his ride at AP R4 today. How'd you like to be the connection of this horse and have her on her to an easy win when Jara decides to do his Coa impersonation and whip her righty when she's just off the rail? Of course, she ducks in, hits the rail, gets forced back to lefty lead after bouncing off it, and, while passed by a couple, continues on gamely for 3rd. Vigorous hand ride, suffices, Fernando.
'
He is horrible. He goes from first call for a top barn to a nothing in 3 years.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:46 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
I appreciate his riding. Not sure what happened in the 4th there. He did hit him right handed a couple of times and then his horse appeared to take a real bad step. By then he had put the whip away as the horse didn't like the whip. Maybe he did, not sure. I think he just picked up the mount. He won the next race.

And he was the leading rider in Dubai this past meet and has a decent win percentage at Arlington. This is the first time in his entire career that he has a real agent who is working for him. Rene Douglas' agent. Cut the kid a break. His ride on Jazil in the Belmont Stakes and his ride on Invasor in the Whitney were classic rides that reveal alot about his abilities.
Old 08-02-2009, 04:50 PM

The headon shows the horse bouncing off the rail when hit by the whip. That's what caused what appears to be a bad step. Not easy to see from the pan shot.
Old 08-02-2009, 05:31 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
The headon shows the horse bouncing off the rail when hit by the whip. That's what caused what appears to be a bad step. Not easy to see from the pan shot.

didn't see the head on, but after watching the regular view, it looked like the horse jumped the tracks

-bt-
Old 08-02-2009, 05:47 PM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:

Awwwwwwww how much did the Fatman lose on the race
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
He obviously didn't know the horse was that sensitive. He did just pick up the mount that day I believe. Maybe he thought the horse was starting to bear out. Now I am trying to find excuses. Perhaps he screwed up. It doesn't make him horrible. He is a good kid.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
'
He is horrible. He goes from first call for a top barn to a nothing in 3 years.
geee, sounds like the career of many hall of fame jockey's. That's nice company you are putting him in.
Old 08-02-2009, 08:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicappy
geee, sounds like the career of many hall of fame jockey's. That's nice company you are putting him in.
Not really.
You guys defending him are simply wrong.
Old 08-03-2009, 06:33 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
Not really.
You guys defending him are simply wrong.
Yes really. A number of jocks currently in the Hall had reached stardom and then quickly fell from grace only to emerge once again. I am not saying he is ALWAYS a great rider but he has great hands, usually knows his horse really well and is a very strong stretch rider.

It sounds like he made a mistake in judgement in the 4th yesterday as Fat Man suggested. There are alot of top jockeys out there who do the same thing (ie: Smith on MTB and Desourmaux to name just two over the weekend). But don't knock a guys ability on the basis of some possibly subjective understanding of his career thus far. You probably didn't know he was the leading rider in Dubai during the last meet. He is now starting to ride for some top barns again. I have followed his career from Randy Romero on. He has done what he has so far without a real agent who works the backstretch. He now has someone working for him. He has the skills, has matured and gotten some distance from all that quick success he received in 2006 and 2007.

He is far from "horrible" as you suggest. And if I was the Fat Man and lost some money on him in that race, I'd be pissed as well.
Old 08-03-2009, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handicappy
He is far from "horrible" as you suggest. And if I was the Fat Man and lost some money on him in that race, I'd be pissed as well.
I didn't bet the race. The odds on the horse were too low. I'm merely offering an objective opinion. And, while you seem to have a fairly high regard for Jara, you really shouldn't. He's not a very good jock. He certainly hasn't distinguished himself at AP. His sense of pace is TERRIBLE. He's never a positive on a horse and is often a negative factor. Too many of his rides are comical and there are already too many comedian jocks out there.