Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-13-2009, 03:53 PM
Fairgrounds

Default 5/16 (PIM): Preakness (G1); Dixie (G2); Gallorette (G3), et al..

2nd (10:44) Allaire DuPont Distaff S. (G2)

1 1/16 Miles | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

2 Unforgotten Albarado R J 118 LA
1 Sea Chanter Velazquez J R 118 LA
3 Tammy's Victress Saez G 118 LA
1A Skylighter Leparoux J R 118 LA
4 Two Columbus Acosta J D 118 LA
5 Striking Tomisue Gomez G K 118 LA
6 All Smiles Rose J 118 LA

A-Coupled: Sea Chanter and Skylighter

4th (11:48) William Donald Schaefer S. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Cave's Valley Rose J 118 LA
2 Real Merchant (CHI) Velazquez J R 118 LA
3 Ea Castellano J J 118 LA
4 Crimson Comic Prado E S 118 LA
5 Richard's Kid Borel C H 124 LA
6 Ready Set Leparoux J R 118 LA
7 No Advantage Acosta J D 118 LA

7th (1:55) Gallorette H. (G3)

1 1/16 Miles (Turf) | Fillies and Mares | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 Royalties Rose J 112 LA
2 All Is Vanity (FR) Garcia Alan 116 L
3 Shytoe Lafeet Saez G 113 LA
4 Viva La Flag Velazquez J R 110 L
5 Quiet Meadow Coa E M 113 LA
6 Tejida Leparoux J R 114 LA
7 Social Queen Leparoux J R 114 LA
8 Dynaforce Gomez G K 122 LA

8th (2:35) Hirsch Jacobs S. (G3)

6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $100,000

Post # Horse Jockey Weight Claim Price Equip. Med.
1 Taqarub Garcia Alan 118 LA
2 Everyday Heroes Caraballo J C 116 LA
3 Not for Silver Pimentel J 118 LA
4 Essenceofthemoon Saez G 122 LA
5 Ju Jitsu Jax Castellano A Jr 116 LA
6 Despite the Odds Rose J 116 LA
7 Nuclear Wayne Albarado R J 116 LA
8 Checklist Prado E S 116 LA
9 Yano Vega H 116 LA

9th (3:44) Woodlawn S.

1 Mile (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $50,000

1 Heros Image Lopez J 116 LA
2 Surprise Minister Gomez G K 116 LA
3 Lonely Whistle Gibbs C 116 Blk-On L
4 Beacon Hill Road Leparoux J R 116 L
5 Colonel Rutledge Prado E S 116 LA
6 Mr. Keeper Rose J 116 LA
7 Code of Honour Borel C H 116 L
8 Affirmatif Velazquez J R 116 LA
9 Dakota Dunes Garcia Alan 116 LA
10 Saint Omega Vargas Jorge L 116 LA

10th (4:30) Maryland Sprint H. (G3)

6 Furlongs | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $100,000

1 West Coast Flier Prado E S 112 L
2 Grand Traverse Theriot H J II 111 LA
3 Silver Edition Leparoux J R 113 LA
4 Sporty Boy DeSouza N 109 LA
5 Ah Day Gomez G K 116 LA
6 Torpedo Run Franklin M 112 LA
7 Celtic Innis Rose J 113 LA
8 Ravalo Velazquez J R 115 L

11th (5:13) Dixie S. (G2)

1 1/8 Miles (Turf) | Open | 3 Year Olds And Up Stakes | Purse: $150,000

1 Proudinsky (GER) Gomez G K 124 LA
2 Monba Prado E S 118 LA
3 Parading Desormeaux K J 122 L
4 Kiss the Kid Coa E M 120 L
5 Baltimore Bob Bejarano R 118 LA
6 Nightscape Garcia G 118 L
7 Wesley Garcia Alan 120 L
8 Strike a Deal Velazquez J R 118 L
9 Brickell Vega H 118 L
10 Just as Well Leparoux J R 118 LA
11 Senior DeSouza N 118 LA
1A Musketier (GER) Smith M E 118 LA
12 Lauro (GER) Starke A 118 L

A-Coupled: Proudinsky (GER) and Musketier (GER)

12th (6:15) Blackberry Preakness S. (G1)

1 3/16 Miles | Open | 3 Year Olds Stakes | Purse: $1,100,000

1 Big Drama Velazquez J R 126 Blk-Off L
2 Mine That Bird Smith M E 126 LA
3 Musket Man Coa E M 126 LA
4 Luv Gov Theriot H J II 126 LA
5 Friesan Fire Saez G 126 LA
6 Terrain Rose J 126 LA
7 Papa Clem Bejarano R 126 L
8 General Quarters Leparoux J R 126 L
9 Pioneerof the Nile Gomez G K 126 LA
10 Flying Private Garcia Alan 126 LA
11 Take the Points Prado E S 126 Blk-On LA
12 Tone It Down Desormeaux K J 126 L
13 Rachel Alexandra Borel C H 121 L

Last edited by Kasept : 05-13-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:06 PM
Golden Gate

If that is really correct they are running a GII race before 11AM. I don't think I have ever seen that.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:08 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiznowthegreat
If that is really correct they are running a GII race before 11AM. I don't think I have ever seen that.
Yeah, I noticed that, almost like they are begging them to downgrade it.
Old 05-13-2009, 04:16 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
only in maryland.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 PM
Les Bois

What does the time of day have to do with the Grading of a race?
I thought it was the level of competition.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:02 PM
Steve Byk

Default Preakness Post-Draw Press Release/Quotes

BALTIMORE, 05-13-09– Rachel Alexandra, the lone filly in the 13-horse field entered Wednesday in the 134th running of the Preakness Stakes, is rated as the 8-5 favorite in the morning line for Saturday’s Middle Jewel of the Triple Crown at Pimlico Race Course.

The Steve Asmussen-trained filly, who was purchased privately by Stonestreet Stables and Harold McCormick following her 20 ¼-length victory in the Kentucky Oaks at Churchill Downs on May 1, drew the No. 13 at Wednesday’s post position draw. No horse has won from that post in 11 tries since 1909.

Pioneerof the Nile, who finished second in the Kentucky Derby at Churchill Downs on May 2, was rated second at 5-1 in the morning line by Maryland Jockey Club handicapper Frank Carulli.

Kentucky Derby winner Mine That Bird, who posted a 50-1 upset at Churchill Downs, is rated as the co-third choice in the morning line with Friesan Fire, the beaten favorite in the Derby.

POST POSITION DRAW QUOTES

MINE THAT BIRD (PP #2; 6-1) – Chip Woolley, trainer: “We’ve got speed on both sides of us, speed on the inside and outside of us. That should clear away from us and leave us in a nice spot to coast down the front side and into the backstretch. It’s a good spot.”

“I like the fact that Big Drama is inside of me because he’ll move on and should leave me a little bit of a break there. “

RACHEL ALEXANDRA (PP #13; 8-5) – Scott Blasi, assistant trainer: “I was just speaking with Jess (Jackson) and Steve (Asmussen) and we’re very happy with it, being on the outside. You’ve got a long run to the first turn here.”

“With having a filly in the race, what you’re worried about is traffic and everything that can happen. In the Derby, when you break they all come together. I think it’s a very good spot for us.”

“I think the race will sort itself out before the first turn. We know that she does have good tactical speed and she should be able to get a good position going into the first turn.”

“I’d rather have than 13 than 1.”

BIG DRAMA (PP #1; 10-1) – David Fawkes, trainer: “I’m going to talk to the rider and talk to the owner in the morning and make a decision (about strategy). I guess you’d have to say we’re committed (to leave the starting gate quickly). We’re going to show speed anyway. That’s the nice thing – he doesn’t have to use himself to get position.”

“I wanted to be outside of (Rachel Alexandra), but I don’t think that’s an option.”

FLYING PRIVATE (PP #10; 50-1) – D. Wayne Lukas, trainer: “The 10 is OK. I wouldn’t have liked the 6,7,8,9. Bob’s horse has good speed inside of him, and mine doesn’t. Once they put them into the gate it will be a competitive race. The one thing I did not want was the 1-hole. I was getting a little nervous.”

FRIESAN FIRE (PP #5; 6-1) – Larry Jones, trainer: “They’ll (Big Drama and Rachel Alexandra) will have to go, so we should be able to get behind them and go.”

GENERAL QUARTERS (PP #8; 20-1) – Tom McCarthy, owner/trainer: “I loved it, absolutely loved it. I told my wife what number I’d get – and it was 8. That’s the same post he had in the Blue Grass (his only Grade I win).”

LUV GOV (PP #4; 50-1) – D. Wayne Lukas, trainer: “The 4 is OK – As long as it’s not the 1-hole. He comes from off the pace. It’s OK.”

MUSKET MAN (PP #3; 8-1) – Derek Ryan, trainer: “It doesn’t really matter much to us. We’d be happy with anything from 1-8. We just need a decent pace in front of us, and we should get one in this field.”

PAPA CLEM (PP #7; 12-1) – Gary Stute, trainer: “I thought the post was great, a perfect spot. Hopefully, 1 (Big Drama) and 13 (Rachel Alexandra) just go and clear and we’ll sit right behind them. It looks good on paper anyway. I thought they were a little generous with the odds again (12-1), but like (owner) Bo (Hirsch) said, I guess it’s better to be under the radar. I figured I got beat a nose and a head, and they’re 5-1 and 8-1 (Pioneerof the Nile and Musket Man) and I’m 12-1.”

PIONEEROF THE NILE (PP #9; 5-1) – Bob Baffert, trainer: “It’s very good. I wanted the 9, 10 or 11. We got the 9, which is very good.”

TAKE THE POINTS (PP #11; 30-1) – Don Lucarelli, co-owner: “We would have liked to have been a little more inside, like the 7-hole or inside of that. It looks like we’ll have to use some of our tactical speed at the beginning of the race and see where the horse goes from there.”

“If you’re a competitor, I guess you couldn’t have asked for a better post draw for Rachel Alexandra.”

“From that post position, I would think that we would like to probably sit somewhere like sixth or seventh maybe and hopefully be one of the first few if possible to pounce on the lead or take a shot at the lead coming into the stretch.”

“It’s going to be critical now for Edgar to position the horse over in a good spot.”

TERRAIN (PP #6; 30-1) – Al Stall Jr, trainer: “The speed on the inside, the chalk on the outside, our horse in the middle – I don’t think I could draw it up any better. I like the way things shook out.”

TONE IT DOWN (PP #12; 50-1) – Bill Komlo, trainer: “It’s interesting. I mean, you’ve got a lot of speed out there early, and I think that kind of favors us because our plan is to take back and come off the pace. It’s not (too far outside), not going a mile and three-sixteenths. You’ve got plenty of room to maneuver.”
Old 05-13-2009, 07:18 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23

Seriously, why would they do that? I am going but don't plan on getting there until around noon...to pay a lot money for a ticket and miss two graded stakes is ridiculous. I know, get there earlier...
Old 05-13-2009, 07:22 PM
Louisiana Downs

Scott Blasi, assistant trainer: “I’d rather have than 13 than 1.”

I guess this translates into 'we have the 2nd worst post position in the race"
Old 05-13-2009, 08:04 PM
Gulfstream Park

If Big Drama is supposed to go to the front, why blinkers OFF??
Old 05-13-2009, 08:13 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by booner
If Big Drama is supposed to go to the front, why blinkers OFF??
Do you really think it's that simple?
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantknockthehustle
Seriously, why would they do that? I am going but don't plan on getting there until around noon...to pay a lot money for a ticket and miss two graded stakes is ridiculous. I know, get there earlier...
Field size = handle... and both of them are 7 horse fields (one of them 6 betting interests.) Personally I think it's great, and I'll be leaving my house on Saturday at 5:15AM to make it on time for the first post.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM
Goodwood

Will the winner of the Blackberry Preakness win the Blueberry Belmont?

I'd like to see someone pull off the Blackberry Preakness, Blueberry Belmont and Rhubarb Travers.

If said horse can then also win the Who Gives A Crap Breeders Cup Classic brought to you by Yum Foods and the Synthetic Track Lobby, that horse will go down as an all time great!
Old 05-13-2009, 09:38 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315
Do you really think it's that simple?
Of course not. With all the talk this week about Big Drama going to the front, I didn't expect to see "Blinkers Off".

Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation so I would have a better understanding. Just trying to learn something here.......
Old 05-13-2009, 09:40 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian Charlie
Will the winner of the Blackberry Preakness win the Blueberry Belmont?

I'd like to see someone pull off the Blackberry Preakness, Blueberry Belmont and Rhubarb Travers.

If said horse can then also win the Who Gives A Crap Breeders Cup Classic brought to you by Yum Foods and the Synthetic Track Lobby, that horse will go down as an all time great!
Maybe the Met Life Mile could be thrown in for good measure?
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Of course not. With all the talk this week about Big Drama going to the front, I didn't expect to see "Blinkers Off".

Perhaps you could shed some light on the situation so I would have a better understanding. Just trying to learn something here.......
Maybe they want him to relax on the lead. . .
Old 05-13-2009, 09:43 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:

This race is 9.5f, compared to the 7f distance of his only previous race this year.
Old 05-13-2009, 09:45 PM
Randwyck

as already said...its a distance and relaxation issue with big drama
Old 05-13-2009, 09:59 PM
Gulfstream Park

Ahhhh....the relaxation issue didn't even enter my mind. I have heard that before; makes perfect sense now.

Thanks fellers.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:03 PM
Goodwood

Some early race thoughts...

R3 MSW: like the #4 Winter Walk, #6 Wedding Scramble, and #3 Hot Bullet first turf, all at a price. First two bred for the lawn, the 4 showed some ability in both his runs on the dirt but has low key connections so the price should hold, and the 6 showed absolutely nothing in his debut but is bred for the lawn top and bottom (although Blushing John was good on both surfaces- won a Group 1 in France as well as the Hollywood Gold Cup among other races) and is sent out by a trainer who knows something or two about winning races in MD. I had no idea Cetewayo was even a sire, he's had so few starters (4, with 1 winner), but he was a damn good turfer. Of the probable favorites, #5 Stonestreet Star is already 0-8 and failed 3 times at 8/5 or less, including a terrible run at AC where the MSW competition is pretty weak, and Mythical Hero who made a nice run to be 2nd into a slow pace but only beat the #2 Pocket Patch by a half length when he was 23-1 off getting beat 3 straight times in $25k MCL's at Philly.

R4 Schafer Hcp G3: No Advantage will probably be overlooked in here, but he got a horrible ride in the CT Classic. Didn't save any ground around the turns, ran up on heels a couple times, yet still managed to only get beat 7 lengths at 51-1 (in a photo with Commentator for 4th.) Real Merchant and Cave's Valley come out of a fast race at Belmont, but how good is that really? He was soundly beaten in that awful Excelsior with no excuse, and Cave's Valley looks better around one turn than two, I think it's between the two coming out of the CT Classic.
Old 05-13-2009, 10:24 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantknockthehustle
Try slipping away from the family to get to the OTB and I'm an hour behind. I miss half the card if I show up at noon CT.