Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-28-2009, 05:04 PM
The Curragh

Default Andy Beyer

Great hour, Steve. It was a "must" listen.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Newmarket

Yes.....very interesting.

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM
Keeneland

Reminds me of Hannity on Fox.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Reminds me of Hannity on Fox.

oh did he repeat himself over and over
Old 01-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Flemington

Reminds me of my dad (when he's trying to locate the words to answer a question.)
Old 01-29-2009, 06:08 AM
Steve Byk

Beyer was tremendously generous yesterday to stay the hour and take calls. I take a lot of pride in having the only vehicle around the game where players and fans can hear from and have access to people like Beyer and Crist for the amount of time they do. While I think Beyer's DRF piece was a bit reckless speculating on specific 'cheaters' without proof other than high winning percentages and move-up performances, he writes about drug use out of a profound love for the sport and concern for its' existence.

I'll reiterate that while I don't doubt there is cheating going on in the game, I do doubt that it is as pervasive, blatant or overt as some, including Beyer, believe. I thought we had a great conversation about a vitally important topic. I'll continue to try to make 'At the Races' a touchstone for a fair and open exchange of information for racing fans, horseplayers and stakeholders.
Old 01-29-2009, 07:11 AM
Del Mar

Agreed. To have a stage like ATR to have heavyweights come in and express views is absolutely good for the game. You can be sure there will be varying views as there are picking horses, but the expression of opinons to further the discussion of the sport can only help a concensus form to bring issues to the forefront and ste the stage for change.
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Great hour, Steve. It was a "must" listen.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Beyer was tremendously generous yesterday to stay the hour and take calls. I take a lot of pride in having the only vehicle around the game where players and fans can hear from and have access to people like Beyer and Crist for the amount of time they do. While I think Beyer's DRF piece was a bit reckless speculating on specific 'cheaters' without proof other than high winning percentages and move-up performances, he writes about drug use out of a profound love for the sport and concern for its' existence.

I'll reiterate that while I don't doubt there is cheating going on in the game, I do doubt that it is as pervasive, blatant or overt as some, including Beyer, believe. I thought we had a great conversation about a vitally important topic. I'll continue to try to make 'At the Races' a touchstone for a fair and open exchange of information for racing fans, horseplayers and stakeholders.
i wanted to ask him what he thought about ass getting the eclipse for top trainer(and another trainer also being in the running, and also with a positive last year-dutrow), but you guys had a subject change when you came back from break (the dog track) so i hung up.....enjoyed what i was able to listen to tho.
damn work, keeps interfering. the NERVE!

oh, also wanted to ask--you guys were talking about detention barns...trainers school horses in the paddock, in the gate-do they school in the D barn?? or is that not allowed?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
While I think Beyer's DRF piece was a bit reckless speculating on specific 'cheaters' without proof other than high winning percentages and move-up performances, he writes about drug use out of a profound love for the sport and concern for its' existence.
Certainly he does, although he sounds like he's forever wistful for the lost days of the 1970's.

Beyer went on and on and on about "moveup trainers", and then when the caller called someone a "juicer" (juice trainer? forget the exact words) Beyer cautioned the caller's accusations down? I laughed.

Beyer reminded me of McCain being stunned at people calling Obama a Muslim terrorist.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 01-29-2009, 03:44 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
Certainly he does, although he sounds like he's forever wistful for the lost days of the 1970's.

Beyer went on and on and on about "moveup trainers", and then when the caller called someone a "juicer" (juice trainer? forget the exact words) Beyer cautioned the caller's accusations down? I laughed.

Beyer reminded me of McCain being stunned at people calling Obama a Muslim terrorist.
I thought the VERY same thing.....would the column ever been written if the effort of This one's for Phil didn't come up with "his" huge Beyer figure? I know it's a slow time of the year in racing, so I guess this was the best he could do for column. It can't help the sport and raises questions that have all ready been brought up. If the public sees this preception from a writer of his stature, they will be turned off of the sport even more.

Old 01-29-2009, 05:41 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
I thought the VERY same thing.....would the column ever been written if the effort of This one's for Phil didn't come up with "his" huge Beyer figure? I know it's a slow time of the year in racing, so I guess this was the best he could do for column. It can't help the sport and raises questions that have all ready been brought up. If the public sees this preception from a writer of his stature, they will be turned off of the sport even more.
Steve seemed like he was sweatin' a tad with thoughts of Sirius, small points of legality (but he covered it)

But that's what makes ATR great, freely dispensed editorial content!
Old 01-30-2009, 11:44 AM
Golden Gate

It has been one of the most informative and entertaining weeks on the show. I thought Rich Eng's comments re: "Scumbags" was the capper. I almost lost control of my jeep on a snowy street.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:39 AM
Arlington Park

No one speaks on behalf of the players of the game better than Beyer, very informative interview.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

Wow, this is quite a post.

Yes, speed figures are the best available way to determine surprising form reversal. This should be obvious.

Whether or not this is a " slow time of the year in racing, " and some would disagree even with this, Andy Beyer is retired and hardly needed to write this, or any, column. Many would argue that he has earned the right to write about anything he deems relevent....whenever he wishes.

You say it can't help the sport? Did you think this one through? I guess you subscribe to the old " head in the sand " approach to problems. Many of us don't.
Old 02-01-2009, 10:55 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Wow, this is quite a post.

Yes, speed figures are the best available way to determine surprising form reversal. This should be obvious.

Whether or not this is a " slow time of the year in racing, " and some would disagree even with this, Andy Beyer is retired and hardly needed to write this, or any, column. Many would argue that he has earned the right to write about anything he deems relevent....whenever he wishes.

You say it can't help the sport? Did you think this one through? I guess you subscribe to the old " head in the sand " approach to problems. Many of us don't.
Well.....I was waiting for this, thought it would come sooner.

If his speed figures are the "bible" of the sport, then this horse should be a "superstar" and it's good to know he's retired, but when you write columns like this one and accuse the trainers he mention of wrong doing, you better have the evidence. I guess he can write about anything he wants, but isn't the first rule in writing that you get ALL the facts first, before making statements? If what he thinks is true, then make all the trainers mention be accountable. My head is not in the sand, but you and Mr. Beyer seem to have "pull' in the sport, now do something about it. Would you like it if someone accuse you of something without getting your side of the story first?

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Well.....I was waiting for this, thought it would come sooner.

If his speed figures are the "bible" of the sport, then this horse should be a "superstar" and it's good to know he's retired, but when you write columns like this one and accuse the trainers he mention of wrong doing, you better have the evidence. I guess he can write about anything he wants, but isn't the first rule in writing that you get ALL the facts first, before making statements? If what he thinks is true, then make all the trainers mention be accountable. My head is not in the sand, but you and Mr. Beyer seem to have "pull' in the sport, now do something about it. Would you like it if someone accuse you of something without getting your side of the story first?

You should try thinking about what you write before you post it. You might also want to read what Beyer wrote first.

Who said his figures were the " bible " of the sport?

He didn't " accuse " anyone of anything.

He stated the " facts " that he felt were relevent to his column.

You can turn things around however you like, but it doesn't change your misinterpretation of the article in question. This isn't about me, or whether you or I ( or anyone ) even agrees with the article, but about the misunderstandings you seem to have.

But, hey, I'm not the one who claims he is a racing columnist.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:25 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
You should try thinking about what you write before you post it. You might also want to read what Beyer wrote first.

Who said his figures were the " bible " of the sport?

He didn't " accuse " anyone of anything.

He stated the " facts " that he felt were relevent to his column.

You can turn things around however you like, but it doesn't change your misinterpretation of the article in question. This isn't about me, or whether you or I ( or anyone ) even agrees with the article, but about the misunderstandings you seem to have.

But, hey, I'm not the one who claims he is a racing columnist.
Well, I guess your right.....I'm not entitled to opinion and I must agree with what the "experts" write. This sport is in trouble and it doesn't need anymore negativity. Maybe it's time for me to spend my money elsewhere if it's this bad. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I guess I'm just a stupid "hick" when it comes to the sport I love! I should know better.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:29 PM
Santa Anita

I'm really tired of people claiming this was because of the big jump in Beyers. It was a big jump in every known figure makers opinion, from TG to the Sheets to BRIS and so on. Of course Beyer is going to reference his own, but he wasn't alone in declaring the performance a huge move up.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Well, I guess your right.....I'm not entitled to opinion and I must agree with what the "experts" write. This sport is in trouble and it doesn't need anymore negativity. Maybe it's time for me to spend my money elsewhere if it's this bad. Sorry if I ruffled any feathers, I guess I'm just a stupid "hick" when it comes to the sport I love! I should know better.
Give me a break Mark. You're a big boy......take responsibility for what you wrote. Don't whine with that " I'm not entitled to my opinion " crap. Your " opinion " was based on claims about the article that simply aren't true. You are actually the one who unfairly accused Beyer of writing things he didn't. So I pointed it out. Big deal. If you felt what you wrote was defendable you would have done so.

Baseball survived the steroids issue....in fact they are stronger for it. In my opinion you change things by addressing them.....not by ignoring them. You claim the game is in trouble, yet you think the solution to this is to ignore what is troubling the game.....sorry if that doesn't make sense to me.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
I'm really tired of people claiming this was because of the big jump in Beyers. It was a big jump in every known figure makers opinion, from TG to the Sheets to BRIS and so on. Of course Beyer is going to reference his own, but he wasn't alone in declaring the performance a huge move up.

That's what people do who don't want to address the issue.....they attack the messenger. If someone wants to claim that in this instance they disagree with Beyer, that's fine, but to pretend that there isn't a medication issue affecting the game is to ignore perhaps the biggest issue that horseplayers, as well as many owners and trainers, are concerned with.

Even if we don't agree, we have an obligation to address these concerns.