Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2008, 02:39 PM
Woodbine

Default Washouts (Adriano schools at CD)

Which horses won't be able to handle the stress of the Derby atmosphere? Which ones are so high strung, they'll be washed out by the post parade? Adriano? Others?
Old 04-26-2008, 05:22 PM
Churchill Downs

Adriano is certainly the first one that comes to mind.
Old 04-26-2008, 06:39 PM
Arlington Park

the 6 and 18 but it's just a guess.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:06 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Which horses won't be able to handle the stress of the Derby atmosphere? Which ones are so high strung, they'll be washed out by the post parade? Adriano? Others?
Really an impossible thing to quantify. Even the calmest horses can panic at the oddest things. Our riding horse gets spooked by just about zero, and he absolutely flipped out the other day when a dump truck started backing up and the "beep beep" was going off.

It is truly a chaotic atmosphere and you never know what will happen, I wouldn't put too much stock into it either way.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:09 PM
Del Mar

Big Brown seemed a little on edge after the Florida Derby. . . Adriano is the obvious one and it's on of the reasons that I plan on tossing him. . .
Old 04-26-2008, 08:44 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Pyro gets a bit worked up, doesn't he? Pulpit seems to throw some high strung ones, so that probably has something to do with it.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:49 PM
Santa Anita

If you were watching the paddock you'd look for behavior in a horse that is atypical. That's if you even know their typical behavior to begin with. High strung horses can win races and calm types do to.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:51 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
If you were watching the paddock you'd look for behavior in a horse that is atypical. That's if you even know their typical behavior to begin with. High strung horses can win races and calm types do to.
Don't remind me. I tossed Bluegrass Cat out of two races a couple of years ago because he was so damn washy. I was CONVINCED he had no shot.
Old 04-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Santa Anita

The paddock can be amazing. You see horses throw their riders, head butt handlers and go on to win. The key is to know atypical behavior and that is difficult to know with all the travel these put in. You just can't get familiar with their personality in the paddock. Others look like they are 1/2 asleep and go on to win. From reading here, I'd be more concerned if Adriano looked cool calm and collected in the paddock .

I recall Macho Uno was typically a handful prior to a race. I saw Orseno saddle him at the Spa as MU refused to stop walking around wherever he pleased. But he was all business when the race started.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:00 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
Pyro gets a bit worked up, doesn't he? Pulpit seems to throw some high strung ones, so that probably has something to do with it.
I thought I read that he doesn't get worked up like a typical Pulpit . . . Who knows, though. . .
Old 04-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Del Mar

I agree...my wife of 24 years goes crazy at the least little thing, she'll be washed out for sure about any day about anything.

Spyder
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
The paddock can be amazing. You see horses throw their riders, head butt handlers and go on to win. The key is to know atypical behavior and that is difficult to know with all the travel these put in. You just can't get familiar with their personality in the paddock. Others look like they are 1/2 asleep and go on to win. From reading here, I'd be more concerned if Adriano looked cool calm and collected in the paddock .

I recall Macho Uno was typically a handful prior to a race. I saw Orseno saddle him at the Spa as MU refused to stop walking around wherever he pleased. But he was all business when the race started.
Old 04-26-2008, 09:14 PM
Santa Anita

I hear ya Spyder but we soldier on .

Last edited by sumitas : 04-26-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:11 PM
Fairgrounds

Quote:
I haven't seen him get worked up in the paddock either time he raced at the Fairgrounds.
There's a bar in the paddock/walking ring area at the Fairgrounds so it's always loud, busy and packed, then they go thru a tunnel to get to the track. When they get to the paddock they are surrounded by walls of people until they get on the track.

I'd be surprised if he got too upset, but anything can happen with 3 year olds at the Kentucky Derby.
Old 04-27-2008, 03:48 AM
Steve Byk

Adriano went to the paddock to school Saturday, during racing, and suffice to say that he'll be going back. Haskin saw him being taken towards the building and caught up to him and his handlers to watch the session. He reports that while Adriano didn't get 'wet' or lathered, the veins were throbbing throughout his body, he was showing similar signs of agitation and was tough to handle. But overall, he may have done better than anticipated.
Old 04-27-2008, 04:21 AM
The Curragh

wasn't Funny Cide in an agitated state before winning?
Old 04-27-2008, 07:04 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Adriano went to the paddock to school Saturday, during racing, and suffice to say that he'll be going back. Haskin saw him being taken towards the building and caught up to him and his handlers to watch the session. He reports that while Adriano didn't get 'wet' or lathered, the veins were throbbing throughout his body, he was showing similar signs of agitation and was tough to handle. But overall, he may have done better than anticipated.
He's got a long way to go.

That was no Derby crowd he faced in the paddock yesterday.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:25 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Pyro was relaxed as any on BC Day which is the second biggest carnival of the year. Of course the weather probably muted the crowd that day.
Old 04-27-2008, 08:33 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Gulch
Pyro was relaxed as any on BC Day which is the second biggest carnival of the year. Of course the weather probably muted the crowd that day.
Apparently I was told wrong. I thought I read somewhere that he doesn't ship well and gets a bit hot headed.
Old 04-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Doesn't sound like his workouts have been very good either. . . Easy toss for me. . .
Old 04-27-2008, 01:01 PM
Keeneland

I forget where I read it ... from a jockey last year, perhaps? Chuck Simon? Someone mentioned that not only is the roaring crowd all over the horses on the right as they come home, but on the left, too, due to infield and the luxury villages in the infield - said the horses turn for home and it's like running into a narrow canyon.

Edit: No intent to imply, express or implicit, that Chuck Simon is a jockey. Not that he couldn't be a jockey. If he wanted to. Perhaps.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts