Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Saratoga

Default Georgie Boy

I hope they send this horse to Oaklawn next and run on the dirt(Per the post race interview yesterday, it is either Oaklawn or the SA Derby). If he does well he could end up your Derby favorite.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:48 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I hope they send this horse to Oaklawn next and run on the dirt(Per the post race interview yesterday, it is either Oaklawn or the SA Derby). If he does well he could end up your Derby favorite.
Now, this is a horse to get excited about... closer to the pace going two turns and when asked.....took off like a rocket, again! Would take his running style over WP anyday running in the Kentucky Derby. Great story here!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 03-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Sunshine Park

Plus he's a gelding, so he won't be rushed off to the breeding shed. But he still has alot to prove.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:35 AM
Woodbine

Yes, very interesting horse, and trained great up to the San Felipe:

03/08/2008-HOLLYWOOD PARK-Five Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-1.00:40 Breezing
03/01/2008-HOLLYWOOD PARK-Seven Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-1.23:60 Handily
02/23/2008-HOLLYWOOD PARK-Five Furlongs-All Weather Track Fast-59:40 Handily

Just hoping he won't peak too soon. I'd like to see him take a step back for the next few weeks and then a prep that's not too demanding. I'd be happy if he comes into the Derby off a good effort somewhere, not necessarily a winning effort, and isn't the Derby favorite.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:37 AM
Churchill Downs

There is another thread about Georgie Boy and Gayego called Input on the main forum too...

Georgie Boy has his work cut out for him if he stays west for the SA Derby. He might be the best horse out in Cali, but he still has to go up against the Colonel, El Gato Malo, and an improving Gayego if he stays out there. I give the nod to the Colonel right now.
Old 03-16-2008, 10:47 AM
Sha Tin

Georgie Boy = Mister Frisky
Old 03-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
And at this time of the year it was:

Mister Frisky = Bold Forbes
Old 03-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
So, he should stay in Cali or go to PR?
Old 03-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
But he was undefeated going into the Derby

if Pyro stubs his toe in his next start....the Derby will have the betting odds of a 35k on the grass at Belmont the favorite 4-1.
Not that it would be a bad thing.

Old 03-16-2008, 11:18 AM
Santa Anita

You guys are, once again, making the mistake of trying to transfer something that happened on synthetic over to a dirt track. It will cost you money.

First, consider that the pace of the race yesterday was very slow, even by synthetic track standards. By dirt standards, it was slower than erosion.

If that race were run on a dirt track, a few things could happen. First, GB could run the same pace and be eight lengths further back of what would be a slow pace. Good luck with that one. Second, he could run 8 lengths faster to try to be up with that slow dirt pace. If he does that, what happens to his finish? Third, he could be anywhere in between those two scenarios, neither of which seems very promising.

Consider, also, the above assumes he will even like the footing offered by real dirt.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:22 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
There is another thread about Georgie Boy and Gayego called Input on the main forum too...

Georgie Boy has his work cut out for him if he stays west for the SA Derby. He might be the best horse out in Cali, but he still has to go up against the Colonel, El Gato Malo, and an improving Gayego if he stays out there. I give the nod to the Colonel right now.
they'll all have their work cut out for them once they change surfaces.
Old 03-16-2008, 11:24 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles
You guys are, once again, making the mistake of trying to transfer something that happened on synthetic over to a dirt track. It will cost you money.

First, consider that the pace of the race yesterday was very slow, even by synthetic track standards. By dirt standards, it was slower than erosion.

If that race were run on a dirt track, a few things could happen. First, GB could run the same pace and be eight lengths further back of what would be a slow pace. Good luck with that one. Second, he could run 8 lengths faster to try to be up with that slow dirt pace. If he does that, what happens to his finish? Third, he could be anywhere in between those two scenarios, neither of which seems very promising.

Consider, also, the above assumes he will even like the footing offered by real dirt.
that's right, and largely ignored by some. those horses should be treated the same way as a turf horse making a switch to dirt. it's a different surface. some can make the switch, many cannot. until those horses run on dirt, it's all up in the air.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:32 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
No where near the same. Two totally differant type of horses. The only thing they have in common is that they ran in California before the Derby. I don't think Georgie Boy or any other horse running in SoCal has a chance to win the Derby, but this years 3yo are all in the same boat, not many stand outs.
Old 03-16-2008, 03:34 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
No where near the same. Two totally differant type of horses. The only thing they have in common is that they ran in California before the Derby. I don't think Georgie Boy or any other horse running in SoCal has a chance to win the Derby, but this years 3yo are all in the same boat, not many stand outs.
Now with WP throwing in a clunker.....they're all "slow".

Old 03-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
Now with WP throwing in a clunker.....they're all "slow".
Yep...I think some are in for an awakening. This is actually a very talented bunch of 3 yos IMO. There are quite a few who you would say aren't 'slow'.
Old 03-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:

24.24/24.51/24.27/23.56/5.77

if they switch the derby to turf, i like him.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Ouch
Old 03-17-2008, 12:28 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hot4TV
I agree, i would more compare him to a 3yo Best Pal who was also a cal bred gelding. Mister Frisky was a an over acheiver who if not developed a golf ball size tumor in his throat , would have been a force in the TC races that year, imo.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:48 PM
Newmarket

Quote:
do you have some examples of horses who couldn't transfer their good synthetic form to dirt, meaning they couldn't handle the dirt footing?

I haven't noticed really many examples of this. maybe I'm missing something.
Old 03-17-2008, 01:56 PM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Yep...I think some are in for an awakening. This is actually a very talented bunch of 3 yos IMO. There are quite a few who you would say aren't 'slow'.

Moniker should be changed to CluelessMaytoMay......Steve,Andy,DrugS and other ACCOMPLISHED Handicappers with are far greater understanding of Racehorses have repped that these colt stink... Geez wake up... Pyro could gert within 10 lengths of last years colts.