Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-07-2010, 10:19 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by -BT- View Post
been out there for a while, he made it pretty obvious last season publicly that he can't play in the 3-4 system. couple 2nds or a 1st and 3rd would be good in my eyes, interested to see if tampa tries and get since we allegedly took him from them

-bt-

The Skins offered Haynesworth and a 2nd round pick to the Eagles for McNabb.

Eagles turned it down.. wanted a 2011 4th round pick for McNabb instead of Haynesworth.

I highly doubt the skins could get a 1st or 2nd round pick for him.

Maybe a third or fourth round pick.. or two late round picks. He's a locker room cancer and after last season doesnt have much worth.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Jerome Park

Back to the McNabb trade... The current Eagles players are THRILLED that Kolb is their QB now. Even D-Jax said "a change was needed" You read any of the quotes from Jackson, Maclin, Celeck and the O linemen and you can really tell that they wanted Kolb to be the QB and not McNabb. They have a MUCH better relationship with Kolb and think he's a better leader (which is obvious). Maclin basically said (in different words) that he is excited to have an accurate QB now. Said there aren't any throws out there that Kolb cant make.

I'm so excited for the Kolb era. The fact that the players are happier with him at QB speaks volumes.

Here is Brian Baldinger's take on the trade:

The Eagles should be ecstatic. I view McNabb as a flawed player, and it was never more apparent than in the back-to-back losses to the Cowboys last season. His flaws will never go away. Now, the Eagles get at least two chances to expose the same flaws they've been covering up for 11 years. It works against the Redskins that McNabb is still in the division. Andy Reid can finally stop covering up for one of the most overrated quarterbacks in the history of the game. The Eagles will go to the playoffs. The Redskins will be watching from the golf course.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:33 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I'll never understand it. Best quarterback the Eagles franchise HAS EVER HAD, and this is how he's treated. Thankfully, neither Antitrust nor Brian Baldinger speaks for every Eagles fan. I know quite a few who were upset in how Donovan was treated throughout his Eagles career.

That being said, I think the Eagles pretty much fleeced the Redskins on this one.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt View Post
I'll never understand it. Best quarterback the Eagles franchise HAS EVER HAD, and this is how he's treated. Thankfully, neither Antitrust nor Brian Baldinger speaks for every Eagles fan. I know quite a few who were upset in how Donovan was treated throughout his Eagles career.

That being said, I think the Eagles pretty much fleeced the Redskins on this one.
go cry me a river

He may have all the the passing records (as he should.. he's been here forever) but to say he's better than Norm Van Bocklin is silly. Even picking between Ron Jaworski and McNabb is a wash.

Oh poor Donovan has been treated so badly

He only got to collect over $100 MILLION dollars in Philly. And we all loved him the first 5-6 years when he would actually run the ball which made him a much more dangerous QB.

When he started getting hurt and stopped being a mobile QB.. his stock went WAY down. he's a bottom third of the league QB when it comes to accuracy.. it was his legs that made him very good his first 5-6 years.

Now he's even older, always prone to Injury, and kills more worms than RAID does. That and his former TEAMMATES dont see him as a leader! That is huge! I always had that feeling but didnt confirm it until I read all the quotes from the Eagles players on Monday. I write a post about this fact and I'm treating McNabb poorly? Because I posted the truth?

Besides getting boo'd when he was drafted (which was totally uncalled for and ridiculous), McNabb has been treated fairly. You dont go to play football in Philly and think everything will always be peachy. He's a man, he can handle the criticism, unlike you. Pansies dont play football.

We want CHAMPIONSHIPS, 2nd place is the first loser. If Kolb loses 4 NFC Championship games for us he'll get just the same critism. Our defense was GREAT when we were winning so much in the first half of the decade. And its just fact that McNabb doesnt come up big in the clutch. If he had.. or even just won us ONE superbowl, he would be more celebrated in Philly than Chase Utley and Charley Manuel.

No offense, but real Philly fans (myself included) dont give a crap about your feelings, McNabbs feelings, or the Washington Nationals fans feelings. That is the way it should be.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:41 AM

You are insane if you think Norm Van Brocklin was a better quarterback than Donovan. Laughably insane at that. With all due respect, of course. Hell, he's probably the best PLAYER the franchise has ever had. Any real Eagles fan or someone who has actually watched football for more than five minutes would probably recognize that.

P.S. - I grew up right outside of Philly, so please don't call me a Washington Nationals fan. That is borderline offensive and most certainly beyond demeaning.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
You are insane if you think Norm Van Brocklin was a better quarterback than Donovan. Laughably insane at that. With all due respect, of course. Hell, he's probably the best PLAYER the franchise has ever had. Any real Eagles fan or someone who has actually watched football for more than five minutes would probably recognize that.

P.S. - I grew up right outside of Philly, so please don't call me a Washington Nationals fan. That is borderline offensive and most certainly beyond demeaning.
Didnt Chuck Bednarik and Reggie White play for the Eagles?
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Chuck Bednarik? Besides sharing a name with Chuck Simon, how is he a superior all-time player for the Eagles franchise when compared to McNabb?

Reggie White was a great one, but some would argue his best days were with the Packers. McNabb's best days were most likely as an Eagle.

I guess this discussion leads to the obvious conclusion, and that is that the Eagles share similarities with the Phillies pre-2008 in that they have been a mostly moribund franchise for the majority of their existence.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:02 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:

I didnt really call you a Nats fan, I was just throwing them in with the other group of whiners that included you and McNabb. All the Nats fans are crying over Philly fans over taking their stadium for Opening Day. Its quite funny.

Sorry, but anyone with a brain and has a grasp of football knowledge understands that Norm Van Brocklin was by far the best QB to suit up for the Eagles. He's also actually won the Eagles a championship. Just because Brocklin only played for the Eagles for 3 years.. and hasnt played for the eagles in 49 years.. doesnt make DMac better.

and best Player over all!?!? yeah McNabb is just so much better than Reggie White, Sonny Jurgensen, Jerome Brown, Seth Joyner, Eric Allen, Wilbert Montgomery, Chuck Bednarik, Brian Dawkins, STEVE VAN BUREN, Tommy McDonald, Mike Quick, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Shoot.. even Shawn Andrews (when mentally healthy) and T.O (as much as it pains me to say) are better football players than McNabb.

McNabb wouldnt even make the top 10 finalist list when voting on the Best Eagle of all time.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Chuck Bednarik? Besides sharing a name with Chuck Simon, how is he a superior all-time player for the Eagles franchise when compared to McNabb?

Reggie White was a great one, but some would argue his best days were with the Packers. McNabb's best days were most likely as an Eagle.

I guess this discussion leads to the obvious conclusion, and that is that the Eagles share similarities with the Phillies pre-2008 in that they have been a mostly moribund franchise for the majority of their existence.
The first two paragraphs really show your knowledge for football..

LOL the only thing remotely correct about this post is the last sentence. Though most franchises are crappy for the majority of their existence.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:11 PM

Seriously, you're insane. Shawn Andrews? Mike Quick? Wilbert freaking Montgomery? Oh God, make it stop.

Look, I said the Eagles fleeced the Redskins, and they clearly did. That doesn't make Donovan's tenure as an Eagle any less meaningful.

I think it's fantastic that every time there's a Mets, Red Sox, or Phillies game at Nationals Park that Nats fans compromise something like 20 percent of the crowd. Shoot, I don't even know if there really are any Nationals "fans" in DC anyway, it's such a transient place. It's no different - to a lesser extent now that the Caps are actually good - than the eleventy billion fans of other team that show up for a Caps game against the Pens, Flyers, or Red Wings.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Seriously, you're insane. Shawn Andrews? Mike Quick? Wilbert freaking Montgomery? Oh God, make it stop.

Look, I said the Eagles fleeced the Redskins, and they clearly did. That doesn't make Donovan's tenure as an Eagle any less meaningful.

I think it's fantastic that every time there's a Mets, Red Sox, or Phillies game at Nationals Park that Nats fans compromise something like 20 percent of the crowd. Shoot, I don't even know if there really are any Nationals "fans" in DC anyway, it's such a transient place. It's no different - to a lesser extent now that the Caps are actually good - than the eleventy billion fans of other team that show up for a Caps game against the Pens, Flyers, or Red Wings.

Hey you said best player, not best career. I'll give you that McNabb's Eagles career is as good or better than any Philly player. He is not nearly the best player they have had though.

In 2006 and 2007, the best player on the Philadelphia Eagles was Shawn Andrews.. so there you go. If the Eagles had dispursed after the 2005, 2006, or 2007 season, and they held a draft for the other teams to pick up the Eagles players, Andrews would have been the #1 pick in the draft.

It is such a shame he has mental problems and back problems, he could have been the Eagles best O-line man ever with the talent he had.

T.O, unfortunatly, is an all time great WR - or at least can be mentioned in those discussions. Anybody who would mention McNabb in the same sentence as "all time great" would have had to have eaten the wrong mushrooms first.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32 View Post

McNabb wouldnt even make the top 10 finalist list when voting on the Best Eagle of all time.
Care to restate?

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/team/75thteamhome.asp
Old 04-07-2010, 12:28 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I will not concede that McNabb was better than Van Brocklin. 600,000 votes & probably 100,000 of them had even heard of Van Brocklin.

Also, 10 players on that list were better than McNabb.

And remember, Lentenor or whatever his name is was voted in the top 10 for Derby Contenders on that Kentucky Derby website.

AND the majority of the country voted for Obama.

Just because you can vote, doesnt mean that you are smart.

we can play the copy and paste game if you want

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landi...3673&tagID=477
Old 04-07-2010, 12:30 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:

You are an Eagles fan and think Chuck Bednarik isnt a superior player to Donovan McNabb?

-He started on both offense and defense (center and linebacker)
-Played 14 seasons, missed 3 games
-10 time All Pro
-In 1999 the sporting news named the top 100 players of all time. Bednarik was ranked 54 and was the top center and the 8th rated linebacker.
-He played on 2 NFL championship teams in Philly with his last second tackle saving the game in 1960
-He was elected to the pro football hall of fame in his first year of eligibility
- Was named to the NFL's 75th anniversary All-time team
- Named to NFL's all decade (50's) team

So he won 2 championships when he was the teams best player, made the all decade team, was ranked as on of the top 50 players in league history 40 years after he played his last game and was elected to the hall of fame in his first try. Yeah mcNabb's career has been better...
Old 04-07-2010, 12:50 PM

I tried to find the 75th anniversary team put together by the Inquirer that lists Steve Van Buren as the greatest all-time Eagle, but my internet research skills are failing me.
Old 04-07-2010, 12:55 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I tried to find the 75th anniversary team put together by the Inquirer that lists Steve Van Buren as the greatest all-time Eagle, but my internet research skills are failing me.
Him, Bednarik & White would be my top 3..

It looks like you and I were arguing two different things for a moment.. As far as eagles CAREER's go.. McNabb is up there with the best.

I was talking about overall talent / best players, even if they played 1 year for the Eagles.

Also, Reids 65 / 35 passing / running ratio really hurt the team and McNabb. Its easier to play defense when you know what every play will be..
Old 04-07-2010, 12:59 PM

I'm talking career. I don't count one-hit or one-year wonders when evaluating best players ever on a particular team. If that were the case, Doyle Alexander might rank as the greatest pitcher the Tigers ever had.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:02 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I'm talking career. I don't count one-hit or one-year wonders when evaluating best players ever on a particular team. If that were the case, Doyle Alexander might rank as the greatest pitcher the Tigers ever had.
yeah they are two totally seperate arguments.. Obviously McNabb's career has been much better than Shawn Andrews.

Not too many players get to spend 11 years with the same team though...

If Van Brocklin had played for them for 11 years you would have agreed with me from the start..
Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
Jerome Park

From Brent Celek:

"They did the right thing," Celek said. "They got faith in Kolb, and I'll tell ya what, I think Kolb is gonna be one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL in years to come. I hate hearing people say that we're rebuilding right now cause we got a lot of good players on our team and we're gonna win a lot of games this year.

"The people in the front office and coach Reid have seen Kevin's development over the last three years, and they feel it's time. And I'll tell ya what, a lot of guys on the team feel the exact same way. We're ready to rally behind him and get this thing going."

D-Jax:

"It was time for a change" & "It just feels like some new energy is coming around and guys are pumped up," he said. "I just heard Maclin say that he's ready to get the season started right now. We're fired up and ready to go."

Maclin -

"The guys upstairs will do some stuff to help Kevin and take advantage of his strengths," Maclin said. "But he can make every throw on the field. We saw that and we know he can do that. Me and DeSean can stretch the field. So we're not going to eliminate [the deep pass] from the game plan.

"Kevin knows everybody's assignment on every given play. I'm not saying Donovan didn't. But it's remarkable that a guy who hasn't played that much knows everything, hands-down. I'm really looking forward to working with him."

From Philly.com-

Kolb was told Monday that fans said they would give him a three-game grace period.

"Although you say three," Kolb said, "one's enough for me."

That's MY quarterback!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-07-2010, 03:53 PM

Come on, what are Maclin or Celek going to say? "Aw, we miss Donovan, boo hoo!" Of course not. And Kevin Kolb is going to be just fine, of that I have no doubt.