Old 08-08-2010, 10:10 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985 View Post
Ugh...NO....

1. Blame
2. Quality Road "he is a Woodward away from being #1 again"
3. Zenyatta "Assuming she stays undefeated, then the Classic decides it"
4. L@L "took over the 3yr old division, but he has a lot to prove, he will have to beat olders at some point"
I've kept quiet about this for too long. You don't know how to use quotation marks and it drives me insane.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:11 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post
I've kept quiet about this for too long. You don't know how to use quotation marks and it drives me insane.
LOL...
Thanks.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Ugh...NO....

1. Blame
2. Quality Road "he is a Woodward away from being #1 again"
3. Zenyatta "Assuming she stays undefeated, then the Classic decides it"
4. L@L "took over the 3yr old division, but he has a lot to prove, he will have to beat olders at some point"
If Blame wins the Jockey Club Gold Cup, and hits the board in the Classic, he wins HOY unless LAL wins the Classic. If Blame wins the JCGC, stubs his toe in the Classic, and wins the Clark or Cigar Mile, he probably wins it.

Quality Road will have to win the Woodward, Dirt Mile, and maybe the Cigar Mile to win HOY.
Old 08-08-2010, 10:39 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey2315 View Post

I was about to post the following until I realized a lot of posts had happened since I started catching up on this thread:

Quote:
I cant and wont discuss it right now.
Will you discuss the use of apostrophes? They are (they're) your friend. Examples of proper usage: 1) Zenyatta's awesome. 2) So's Rachel Alexandra. 3) Jess Jackson's not known for making sense. 4) ATR's coverage of horse racing is far superior to anything I've seen of TVG.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:45 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer View Post
Seems quite clear that they were very afraid of losing something else that they very much thought they deserved no matter what, and that's exactly WHY they ran her in the Classic at the last second.
It was not at the last second, not even close. If my memory is right, I think they announced it about a month before the race.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:50 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert Pupkin View Post
It was not at the last second, not even close. If my memory is right, I think they announced it about a month before the race.
Your memory isn't right.
Old 08-09-2010, 12:56 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell View Post
That really isnt true. Who exactly was the big horse everyone was touting?
The truth is that the people who knock her were right last year and are still right. These arent great races. These arent good races. She is beating crap and looking very ordinary doing it. Spin it how ever you'd like but she is really just a nice horse with quirky habits, a strong closing kick and a cupcake schedule.

Unless you just WANT her to be more than she is. Then you can say she is better than Affirmed or rank her 12 all time or whatever blasphemy you want to go with.

And you want to know why people arent flocking to see RA and Z? Because most everyone outside of 7 year old girls and retards are tired of watching glorified exibition races.
It wasn't that there was a superstar that everyone was touting in the BC Classic last year. It was that most of you figured that if Zenyatta was struggling to beat mediocre females, then she would not be able to beat fairly solid males. That was the thinking on most of your parts and that thinking turned out to be wrong.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 08-09-2010 at 01:09 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:06 AM
Flemington

Not mine.

Rupert - don't be on the wrong side of history - open your heart and fill it with hate for Zenyatta.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:07 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Indomitable DrugS View Post
I'm heartbroken she's not in the Distaff. A race where I could actually try to make a score by having her off of the board.
Just a month ago, you claimed it was much more likely that Z would run in the Distaff. You changed your mind?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:10 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
Your memory isn't right.
Refresh my memory. When was it announced that she would run in the Classic?
Old 08-09-2010, 01:17 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Just a month ago, you claimed it was much more likely that Z would run in the Distaff. You changed your mind?
After watching the Whitney, Haskell, and Jim Dandy ... yes.

Nothing has yet emerged to scare the connections into thinking they can't win it ... and she has a better chance of finishing in front of RA in the Classic than any other race.

Running in it now is there way of justifing how they've handled her all year long - and trust me, if they don't win - finishing in front of RA would be there big moral victory and cement their claim as the better horse.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:22 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Not mine.

Rupert - don't be on the wrong side of history - open your heart and fill it with hate for Zenyatta.
I understand what people are saying, and they have a point. Many of her wins have been in small fields against weak competition. There is no doubt about that. But it's not as if she's running in listed races. She's running in grade I races every time. It's not her fault if no good fillies enter these races.

There is no question that the connections are being more conservative because of the streak. If she would have already lost a race or two in her career, it would be much more likely that they would run against the boys more often. But how can you really blame them for not wanting to go undefeated? If she can go undefeated and then win the BC Classic again this year, she will definitely be considered one of the greatest mares, if not the greatest of all times. If a mare is undefeated at 20 for 20 and beats the boys in the BC Classic in back to back years, there won't be any debate about her place in history. I should say there won't be any debate amongst sane people. I'm sure a few of you will still say she's not great. You'll probably say that her Beyers weren't that great.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:27 AM
Flemington

It's not going to happen man. I realize Giacomo won the Derby - but lightening won't strike twice.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:33 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Refresh my memory. When was it announced that she would run in the Classic?
http://www.drf.com/news/zenyatta-lik...-males-classic

Another interesting viewpoint from Crist a few weeks earlier.
http://www.drf.com/news/no-sense-pressing-zenyatta
Old 08-09-2010, 01:43 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
It's not going to happen man. I realize Giacomo won the Derby - but lightening won't strike twice.
That is an absurd statement. Giacomo looked like he had no chance. Zenyatta is a legitimate contender. She will be one of the favorites and she should be. When I say one of the favorites, she could be one of three or four co-favorites. The race looks that competive right now.

It should be a great race. I still think RA has a great chance. She's starting to look like her old self again. I'm not going to throw out QR based on one mediocre race. No horses run their best every time. QR may bounce back off this mediocre performance. Blame has turned into a really good horse. He will have a good chance. And I am very interested to see how Rail Trip runs on the dirt. It's possible he may step it up a level on the dirt. And then you have Lookin' At Lucky who is on the improve. If he keeps improving, he could have a chance. It should be a great race.

You're so stubborn that if Z does win, you still won't admit she's great. You'll say it was a fluke like Giacomo.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:45 AM
Flemington

A guy I befriended in Vegas last year who thought I was a genius because he asked me for "just one horse" for Friday and Sat and I told him Life is Sweet for Friday and Vale of York for Saturday ... the day after he starts talking about Zenyatta and said she won the BC Classic.

I'm like, No.. she didn't win the Breeders Cup Classic. The BC Classic hasn't been run since 2007. She won the Breeders Cup Brown Turf over Gio Ponti. Conduit won the Green Turf and she won the Brown Turf. The guy looked at me like I was nuts.

How's anyone supposed to take the last 3 Pacific Classic winners seriously? They haven't run the Pacific Classic in years as far as I'm concerned.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:49 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
My memory was incorrect. They obviously made the official announcement much later than I remember.

Last edited by Rupert Pupkin : 08-09-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 08-09-2010, 01:59 AM
Randwyck

In the article it said they will see how she does in her next workout. From what I recall it was very close to the 11th hour, maybe Wednesday before the race but I'm not positive.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:02 AM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Conway Lane View Post
In the article it said they will see how she does in her next workout. From what I recall it was very close to the 11th hour, maybe Wednesday before the race but I'm not positive.
It kind of happened right after it was announced Sea the Stars wasn't coming.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:05 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmorioles View Post
It kind of happened right after it was announced Sea the Stars wasn't coming.
That absurd Euro that Team Valor owned winning the Goodwood and making a mockery of the older males out there - and than passing on the BC Classic - along with Gio Ponti going down to Interpartation made it an easier decision.