Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-11-2010, 08:24 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Didnt hurt that Arizona got every call their way including the last face mask they let go.
The one that really hurt was when Fitzgerald ran over Woodson in the endzone at the same time Jenkins was being held and tackled into Warner while receiving a roughing the passer penalty.

However, when you play D like GB did, you can't bitch about the refereeing
Old 01-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBBob
The one that really hurt was when Fitzgerald ran over Woodson in the endzone at the same time Jenkins was being held and tackled into Warner while receiving a roughing the passer penalty.

However, when you play D like GB did, you can't bitch about the refereeing
Ya, that was very a bad non call. I'm not saying GB didnt deserve to lose, their defense was atrocious, but equally as bad were the refs performance.
Shitty way to end what was an awesome 2nd half of action.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:34 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I didn't get how the refs missed the call on Fitzgerald, nor the blatant personal foul calls on either of the last two offensive plays for the Packers. Then again, if Aaron Rodgers hadn't kicked the ball in the air, allowing Gansby to pick up the ball before it hit the turf, Green Bay is punting on fourth and whatever because that last play was absolutely, 100 percent the definition of the tuck rule.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:35 AM
Idlewild Airport

Viking love ending this week.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:50 AM
Saratoga

Quote:

We'll agree to disagree...Excuses/reasons are a slippery slope, but if you can't see why their secondary was in disarray due to injuries, then there is nothing more to talk about. They couldn't rush/blitz Warner more because the back ups, and even Woodson at times, weren't tackling or covering anyone.

The Bears have a long way to go. The Packers made the playoffs and their lack of defensive depth was exposed. They have a short way to go
Marty is a Giants fan I think and you bring up the Bears.

Sigh on Packer fans, always focused on a real team
Old 01-11-2010, 08:53 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by randallscott35
Viking love ending this week.
Cowboys and Vikings...Like Hitler vs Musselini for me...Hate 'em both

Maybe the dome will collapse under the weight of all that snow

kidding..umm

Last edited by GBBob : 01-11-2010 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:03 AM
Hialeah Park

Good summary of game and season

http://espn.go.com/blog/nfcnorth/pos...run-out-of-gas
Old 01-11-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

How about the DPOY Woodson falling down TWICE on Fitzgerald touchdowns, then allowing Rackers to get 15 yards closer by going for the ball instead of the tackle? What a playmaker.

Sorry Bob.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:08 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
How about the DPOY Woodson falling down TWICE on Fitzgerald touchdowns, then allowing Rackers to get 15 yards closer by going for the ball instead of the tackle? What a playmaker.

Sorry Bob.
I know man...too much ball hawking and not enough tackling..mentioned that above too. Basic coverage skills went out the window and they just went for the strip every time
Old 01-11-2010, 09:13 AM
Hialeah Park

Believe it or not, I'd rather play Philly than AZ. Their big weakness now with Al Harris out is teams that play 3 wide outs and make the Packers play in the nickel. Their offense can play with anyone now, but the D is still vulnerable if Kurt Warner goes off like Rothleisberger did yesterday.

My post from 12/20...sorry I was right
Old 01-11-2010, 09:31 AM
Del Mar

As long as the Cardinals bring their refs to NO, they have a puncher's chance. Good god, those refs should have been wearing Cardinal jerseys yesterday. They reminded me of the crooked umpire in the movie Naked Gun.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:33 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I know man...too much ball hawking and not enough tackling..mentioned that above too. Basic coverage skills went out the window and they just went for the strip every time

Just because Asante Samuel is going to the Pro Bowl doesnt mean ANYONE should try to play like him.

The most overrated corner in the league and maybe the worst tackler I've ever seen.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:35 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
Just because Asante Samuel is going to the Pro Bowl doesnt mean ANYONE should try to play like him.

The most overrated corner in the league and maybe the worst tackler I've ever seen.
Woodson..overated? Is that what you are saying?
Old 01-11-2010, 09:56 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
As long as the Cardinals bring their refs to NO, they have a puncher's chance. Good god, those refs should have been wearing Cardinal jerseys yesterday. They reminded me of the crooked umpire in the movie Naked Gun.
Sure there were a the few bad calls but the Cards hung 50 on the board. At some point maybe you should point the finger at the Packers D, they had a little more to with the result.
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Marty is a Giants fan I think and you bring up the Bears.

Sigh on Packer fans, always focused on a real team

wrong

i am a jets fan going back to the walt michaels day

i don't root against the giants , but , i'm not doing cartwheels for them either when they win
Old 01-11-2010, 09:57 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Believe it or not, I'd rather play Philly than AZ. Their big weakness now with Al Harris out is teams that play 3 wide outs and make the Packers play in the nickel. Their offense can play with anyone now, but the D is still vulnerable if Kurt Warner goes off like Rothleisberger did yesterday.

My post from 12/20...sorry I was right

That was a tough loss and a wild and crazy ride yesterday. I guess the good news is that even if the pack won there is no way they could have gone all the way and won the superbowl. Refs sucked, but if you only force one punt you don't deserve to win. This season was great for Rodgers who learned a lot throughout the year and the D had way too many injuries. I guess I start cheering for NO now.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Sure there were a the few bad calls but the Cards hung 50 on the board. At some point maybe you should point the finger at the Packers D, they had a little more to with the result.
I never said the Packs lost because of the refs I just said the refs were terrible. If I did my job half that bad, I'd be unemployed before the end of the day. The Packer's defense was horrible and thats why they lost the game. But it is pretty amazing how close the game ended up being, even with such a bad defensive performance by a team with such a solid defense.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:38 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Woodson..overated? Is that what you are saying?
no Asante Samuel is overrated.

Woodson is great.
Old 01-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
no Asante Samuel is overrated.

Woodson is great.
Woodson is pretty great and so too is the horse Wolfson, who won a race last weekend at Aqu. He just got up to beat Missile Motor, who has been in very goood form.
Old 01-11-2010, 12:22 PM
Del Mar

When a QB like Warner is that "on", there really isnt a whole lot a defense can do. You can't really bring more pressure because he gets rid of the ball so quickly and you cant lay back in coverage or he will dissect you underneath.

The answer to zone blitz pressure schemes is to go empty and spread five wide and then pound the ball when the defense has to switch to dime to cover it. First Oakland with Gannon and New England with Brady would carve up the Pitt defense in the early part of the last decade with this tactic. There really is no answer when the QB is that precise. On some plays, the coverage was perfect and he was still getting the ball in there somehow. Its not like guys were ten yards open and warner had all day.

At the end of the day, the Zona defense made a couple of more plays. At the same time, I think yesterday was more about great offense than bad defense. There are times when offenses are just unstoppable.