Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-30-2009, 08:10 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

Default ny ten worst players of the decade

New York's 10 worst players of the decade

The Post is counting down the final days of 2009 with a look back at some of the decade’s jewels and fools. Today, we continue with New York’s worst players:<p>
</p><br>
1. KEI IGAWA- The Yankees’ answer to Daisuke Matsuzaka’s arrival in Boston has been the absolute bust to end all busts. GM Brian Cashman spent $46 million - including $26 million just for Igawa’s rights - before the 2007 season and still hasn’t seen a sign the Japanese lefty can pitch in the major leagues.<p>
</p><br>
Igawa made 14 appearances for the Yankees in 2007 and finished 2-3 with a 6.25 ERA. After one particularly putrid performance, Igawa took a bat to his locker and was hit with a bill for the damages.<p>
</p><br>
In 2008, Igawa appeared in two games for the Yankees and finished 0-1 with a 13.50 ERA. For most of the last two seasons he has remained at Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, where he went 10-8 with a 4.15 ERA in 2009.<p>
</p><br>
The Yankees turned their attention to Igawa after the Red Sox won the bidding for Matsuzaka, who received a $52 million contract over six seasons with the Red Sox after Boston agreed to pay $51.11 million for his rights.<p>
</p><br>
Though Matsuzaka hasn’t been a huge hit in Boston, his 37-21 career record with a 4.00 ERA has given the Red Sox at least a little bang for their buck.<p>
</p><br>
Igawa’s contract runs through 2011 and it would be surprising if he pitches another game for the Yankees.<p>
</p><br>
2. ROBERTO ALOMAR- He may receive the call next month for Cooperstown, but not based on his 11/2 seasons with the Mets. The centerpiece of GM Steve Phillips’ overhaul before the 2002 season, Alomar lost his stroke and never recovered.<p>
</p><br>
3. EDDY CURRY & JEROME JAMES- Isiah Thomas’ legacy (other than sexual harassment) is bringing this tandem of wasted potential to the Garden. Curry’s bad knees and conditioning have killed his career and “Big Snack’’ James ($30M for 90 games in 4 years) was among the worst signings in league history.<p>
</p><br>
4. <p>
</p><br>CARL PAVANO- The “American Idle” was never formally charged with larceny for the $39.95 million he took from the Yankees over four seasons, but there is no question the team expected more than 26 starts for that kind of money.<p>
</p><br>
5. STEPHON MARBURY- He was largely responsible for running out Larry Brown and also clashed with Isiah Thomas and Mike D’Antoni. Marbury came to epitomize the Knicks of the last decade: selfish, over-hyped and overpaid. How bad was this failed homecoming? The Knicks gave him $18 million just to go away.<p>
</p><br>
6. BRETT FAVRE- Why did the worst season of his Hall of Fame career have to come with the Jets? Favre never seemed comfortable from the first moment he arrived and his performance down the stretch last season, albeit with his arm hurting, was awful.<p>
</p><br>
7. RON DAYNE- The Heisman Trophy winner showed promise as a rookie running back in 2000, but it soone became evident "Thunder" was a bust. The Giants dumped the former No. 1 draft choice after the 2004 season, convinced he lacked the commitment needed to succeed in the NFL.<p>
</p><br>
8. MO VAUGHN- His knees were shot when he arrived before the 2002 season, but the Mets were at least covered by insurance for a large portion of the $46 million the hefty first baseman received for playing 11/2 seasons in Flushing.<p>
</p><br>
9. VERNON GHOLSTON- The Jets linebacker will likely go down as the worst No. 1 draft pick in franchise history. Owner Woody Johnson would have been better off dousing $20 million in kerosene and throwing a match on the pile. The return would have been the same.<p>
</p><br>
10. VICTOR ZAMBRANO- Mets pitching coach Rick Peterson was supposed to need only 10 minutes to fix Zambrano after the team acquired the right-hander for top pitching prospect Scott Kazmir in 2004. Instead, Zambrano went 10-14 with a 4.43 ERA before blowing out his arm.<p>
</p><br>
do you agree?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Oriental Park

randy johnson and kevin brown were 2 busts as pitchers for the yanks as well Hooves
Old 12-30-2009, 10:30 AM
Bowie

Marburry at 5 is too low, he should be 2.

Can I predict Bay will be on this list for the next decade?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:11 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gales0678
randy johnson and kevin brown were 2 busts as pitchers for the yanks as well Hooves
I agree with Kevin Brown, he should be #1 on this list. Giants and Jets shouldnt be considered NY teams, they play in NJ.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I agree with Kevin Brown, he should be #1 on this list. Giants and Jets shouldnt be considered NY teams, they play in NJ.
Kevin Brown was no doubt absolutely horrendous. But no single player had a bigger hand in the destruction of a franchise than Marbury. The guy was an absolute cancer and between him and Isiah Thomas, they set that franchise back years.
Old 12-30-2009, 12:09 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Kevin Brown was no doubt absolutely horrendous. But no single player had a bigger hand in the destruction of a franchise than Marbury. The guy was an absolute cancer and between him and Isiah Thomas, they set that franchise back years.
allan houston's contract was a bust too
Old 12-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
It's to the point where I'm probably gonna stab the next person who says this.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:38 PM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
It's to the point where I'm probably gonna stab the next person who says this.
Giants and Jets are NJ teams.

By the way Chad Ocho quatro acting stupid again. Opening his mouth and challenging Revis. 1st how much playing time is going to be playing anyways?
Old 12-30-2009, 08:25 PM
Belmont Park

I'd love to know why Joe Girardi isn't on this list. Average player, even less of a manager....He had a multi, multi million dollar team that had the owners calling him out when the Rays were kicking their asz with a 1/5th of their payroll 2 years ago - just pump a few more mill into the system... An ape could win a pennant there
Old 12-30-2009, 10:07 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudeboyelvis
I'd love to know why Joe Girardi isn't on this list. Average player, even less of a manager....He had a multi, multi million dollar team that had the owners calling him out when the Rays were kicking their asz with a 1/5th of their payroll 2 years ago - just pump a few more mill into the system... An ape could win a pennant there
i don't know about an ape , but joe should be sending kate hudson whatever she wants as she turned a - rod around and without him joe would have been bye bye this year
Old 12-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Del Mar

Great list. I can add a couple more:

1. Steve Francis

2. Jared Jefferies

3. Jeff Weaver

4. Jarett wright
Old 12-31-2009, 08:44 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalakhani
Great list. I can add a couple more:

1. Steve Francis

2. Jared Jefferies

3. Jeff Weaver

4. Jarett wright
I have always thought that he was one of the most over rated players in the NBA ever.
Old 12-31-2009, 08:54 AM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

if we did this about chicago teams it may take the dt site down...with pure mass..