Jerome Park

what are the results?
Old 11-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Aqueduct

14-8-11-1

He's a hack and you guys sold your soul for him. Congrats." coach pants
Old 11-18-2009, 11:54 AM
Hollywood Park

I think Aldeb got 5th, not sure. She looked Ok coming around the turn, I liked the way she split horses to not get fanned out too wide, but maybe the rail was not the place to be. The winner circled the field to win, ovbviously, she was much the best. At the start Aldeb looked like she veered out a bit to the right, got squeezed by the 10 hopped to the left and jostled the 8 horse.

Look forward to hearing what Chuck has to say
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antitrust32
what are the results?

She finished 5th. She appeared to be a bit unsettled down the backstretch. Very interested to hear the post race comments.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:05 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heels1989
She finished 5th. She appeared to be a bit unsettled down the backstretch. Very interested to hear the post race comments.
I think she was trying to run away with the kid a bit early on and he checked her back out and wider to keep her from running up on heels. That definitely took some of her momentum and allowed the chalk to range up to her outside.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:06 PM
Steve Byk

Spoke to Chuck.. Appears to have come out fine. Arroyo said she was a little bothered by the mud from the three pacesetters early but then settled and got back on the bit. He thought they were in good shape off the turn when he moved toward the inside. He knew the winner was going to run off, but he thought at the quarter pole he had a shot for 2nd. But has been said by some of her other riders, she seems unwilling to put out and really try.

Arroyo said she felt fine and he'd ride her again happily, but that when he asked she refused to offer additional effort. Her knees have continued to bother her, and she may just be unwilling to try hard enough to contend. There's really no other explanation. It has been a very frustrating go with her having shown that she had talent early on.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:11 PM
Saratoga

Sorry guys, another poor effort. Hard to find anything positive from that. She seems to have little interest in racing. This game can be humbling.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:14 PM
Sha Tin

Not much else to say but she did come back with a bunch of cuts and scrapes and had a case of the thumps afterwards.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:18 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Not much else to say but she did come back with a bunch of cuts and scrapes and had a case of the thumps afterwards.
Please educate my ignorance... what are the thumps?
Old 11-18-2009, 12:23 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
Please educate my ignorance... what are the thumps?
Kind of like a nasty case of the hiccups brought on by an electrolyte imbalance. She sweats like a hog (unfortunately seems to run that way too) which is depleting her. We treated her for this condition prerace and the temps were pretty cool but it seemingly is just another issue without a solution for her.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:29 PM
Morris Park

Thumps is uncontolled contractions of the diapharm. The sides of the horse contract hard and they breath very hard as well, ie "thumps"

Generally seen in exahusted horses and due to electrolyte imbalances.

But that said it is also not unusual to see in horses in starts after a lay off, esp if they get nervous and sweat a lot, first time lasix horses, unseasonably warm or really hot days in the summer. Seen it all these cases as well.

CAB, VMD
Old 11-18-2009, 12:32 PM
Ellis Park

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:48 PM
Morris Park

Saw Cannon Shell's reply that Deb is a big sweater and nervous.

When I worked as an attending vet at the track I found B1 and Calcuim helps these real nervous sweaty fillies and mares. I even had a couple of geldings I would give it to as well. Chuck knows and has probalbly tried this, but just in case he did not try this combination I posted it.

Show horse trainers use Magnsium sulfate as a calming treatement and muscle treatment as well.

With all electrolyte treatments you have to try and titrate the horse to see what is the minimum doses that help and be very careful as all the electrolyes are "micronutrients" and exessive doses can be harmful.

ie Standardbred trainers use potassium citrate to make the horses' blood more basic instead of baking soda since the "Black box" testing for milk shaking tests for elevated levels of sodium bicarb, the traditional milk shake material. High potassium causes irregular heart rhythms which I saw many when I was a state vet at the Meadowlands. In the first 5 years I worked I saw maybe 1 or 2 horses with atrial fib, after the advent of testing for milk shakes and the trainers started using these "alternative" ways to lower the pH of the horses' blood, I would see 1-2 a week.
Old 11-18-2009, 01:23 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabvmd
Saw Cannon Shell's reply that Deb is a big sweater and nervous.

When I worked as an attending vet at the track I found B1 and Calcuim helps these real nervous sweaty fillies and mares. I even had a couple of geldings I would give it to as well. Chuck knows and has probalbly tried this, but just in case he did not try this combination I posted it.

Show horse trainers use Magnsium sulfate as a calming treatement and muscle treatment as well.

With all electrolyte treatments you have to try and titrate the horse to see what is the minimum doses that help and be very careful as all the electrolyes are "micronutrients" and exessive doses can be harmful.

ie Standardbred trainers use potassium citrate to make the horses' blood more basic instead of baking soda since the "Black box" testing for milk shaking tests for elevated levels of sodium bicarb, the traditional milk shake material. High potassium causes irregular heart rhythms which I saw many when I was a state vet at the Meadowlands. In the first 5 years I worked I saw maybe 1 or 2 horses with atrial fib, after the advent of testing for milk shakes and the trainers started using these "alternative" ways to lower the pH of the horses' blood, I would see 1-2 a week.
Thanks, again.

Hopefully, Chuck can use this information (if he hasn't already tried it).
Old 11-18-2009, 03:01 PM
Pimlico

yes, it kind of looks like she's protecting her knees by not pushing herself too hard.
Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 PM
Narragansett Park

I recall this filly had knee surgery last Dec, but I see the use of the plural "knees" being offered as one of her problems. I didn't realize this was a "knees" situation, instead of just her left knee. Is this something that can be addressed by tapping one, or both knees?

Or, are we quickly approaching new career time for Aldeb?

It never makes sense to pour good money into a bad situation and I've frequently found the best money I have in my pocket is the cash I didn't spend.

Philly isn't an easier circuit for her kind, but MD or Charles Town might be - are either of those options beng considered? Are $8k maidens in MD, or $5k maidens at CT in her future?

Whatever you guys decide, it's never an easy call.....

Last edited by phystech : 11-19-2009 at 09:22 AM.
Old 11-19-2009, 05:50 AM
Dee Tee Stables

the quickness of her works don't necessarily show a lack of want-to. was she, yet again, a victim of having footing not to her liking?
Old 11-19-2009, 09:24 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
the quickness of her works don't necessarily show a lack of want-to. was she, yet again, a victim of having footing not to her liking?

Good morning work horses don't always make good afternoon race horses.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:30 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
Her problem is working and running the same times. Not exactly sure what to do with her.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Good morning work horses don't always make good afternoon race horses.
yes, i know. but if she's not afraid of exerting herself in the morning, i'm not sure that's what is to blame in the afternoon.