Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Ellis Park

Default Derby Advice?

I'm going to my first Derby this year. I've got some questions for some of you Churchill Downs veterans:

1) Is my Derby Trail t-shirt acceptable dress, or do I have to go Rain Man-style and bring the heat? On that subject, do I have to buy my wife a hat? If so, how much is a new Derby-worthy hat going to cost me? Keep in mind, we aren't sitting on Millionaire's Row next to Diddy (we're in Section 128 at the top of the stretch).

2) Eating arrangements. Any ideas on how to handle this, at or away from the track?

3) We decided to go rather late -- yesterday, actually -- how far from the track do I have to drive to find a reasonable place to stay this late in the game?

4) Anything at the track that I simply HAVE to see or be a part of?

5) Any other tips or advice?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:19 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean smith
I'm going to my first Derby this year. I've got some questions for some of you Churchill Downs veterans:

1) Is my Derby Trail t-shirt acceptable dress, or do I have to go Rain Man-style and bring the heat? On that subject, do I have to buy my wife a hat? If so, how much is a new Derby-worthy hat going to cost me? Keep in mind, we aren't sitting on Millionaire's Row next to Diddy (we're in Section 128 at the top of the stretch).

2) Eating arrangements. Any ideas on how to handle this, at or away from the track?

3) We decided to go rather late -- yesterday, actually -- how far from the track do I have to drive to find a reasonable place to stay this late in the game?

1) If you are rolling into my hood, you must be properly dressed (125 is my hood)...Joking aside, you should be fine with the DT shirt, wear it loud and proud..Buy your wife a hat, you will probably get lucky because all these other crazy woman will compliment her and then you just have to remind her who bought the hat for her

2) Eat whenever you can

3) Your screwed (Although Residence Inn had places last weekend still for Derby weekend for $500 a night, which is very reasonable from years past)

4) 1 mint julep and then be done with them

5) Get ready to be pissed all day because of the crowds, idiot tellers, idiot friends, idiot people, but then be ready to get an unbelievable rush when the Derby song comes on and then the actual race. ANYONE that follows horse racing needs to experience it
Old 04-24-2009, 10:25 PM
pgardn

Quote:
1) On that subject, do I have to buy my wife a hat? If so, how much is a new Derby-worthy hat going to cost me?
5) any other tips or advice?
Attachment 1235

Yes.
But not like the above or they wont let you eat.

Last edited by pgardn : 05-09-2009 at 09:45 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Flemington

DSC_7983.jpg

Wouldn't this solve your problem?
Old 04-24-2009, 10:27 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
1) If you are rolling into my hood, you must be properly dressed (125 is my hood)...Joking aside, you should be fine with the DT shirt, wear it loud and proud..Buy your wife a hat, you will probably get lucky because all these other crazy woman will compliment her and then you just have to remind her who bought the hat for her

2) Eat whenever you can

3) Your screwed (Although Residence Inn had places last weekend still for Derby weekend for $500 a night, which is very reasonable from years past)

5) Get ready to be pissed all day because of the crowds, idiot tellers, idiot friends, idiot people, but then be ready to get an unbelievable rush when the Derby song comes on and then the actual race. ANYONE that follows horse racing needs to experience it
LOL, I love #5 because it's so true!

As for hats, depending on your lady's tastes, you can get a basic wide brim hat at places like TJ Maxx or Macy's or go really crazy:
http://www.hatsandveils.net/store/ca...20Derby%20Hats
Old 04-24-2009, 10:50 PM
Calder Race Course

Old 04-25-2009, 07:45 AM
Golden Gate

Is anybody familiar with the taxi situation that weekend? Is it easy to call one the morning of the race if you do it early enough? And is it impossible to get one after?
Old 04-25-2009, 09:30 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
Attachment 1236

Wouldn't this solve your problem?
Still available for 21.95ea plus s&h
Old 04-25-2009, 09:34 AM
Goodwood

Quote:

2) Eat whenever you can

Old 04-25-2009, 09:38 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiznowthegreat
Is anybody familiar with the taxi situation that weekend? Is it easy to call one the morning of the race if you do it early enough? And is it impossible to get one after?
You're probably okay getting there, but the line to get a cab after the races looks like the line for Space Mountain at Disney.

You're best bet would be to negotiate with your morning cab driver. Get his cell phone number, tell him you will call for a pick-up and meet him at a designated place across the street from the track. Make it worth his while, it'll be worth the extra cash.
Old 04-25-2009, 09:59 AM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
This is dead on. Seeing them play My Old Kentucky Home during the post parade and everybody (try to) sing along while clanking glasses and bottles with strangers is one of the coolest things I've ever seen live.
Old 04-25-2009, 10:25 AM
The Curragh

ha..............ticket holders, we in the infield scoff at your kind

-bt-
Old 04-25-2009, 12:54 PM
Santa Anita

What is the crowd like on Oaks Day compared to Derby day??

#Grand
Old 04-25-2009, 01:04 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
What is the crowd like on Oaks Day compared to Derby day??
Hotter chicks.
Old 04-25-2009, 01:25 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Hotter chicks.
brilliant

#Grand
Old 04-25-2009, 01:32 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfla
The twin spires theme has been beaten like
a dead horse. Notice the fashion police in
the background...

Ahhhh, maybe the old guy is just hammered
and all are having great fun watching him
stumble into the alcohol detox ambulance.
Old 04-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
The twin spires theme has been beaten like
a dead horse. Notice the fashion police in
the background...

Ahhhh, maybe the old guy is just hammered
and all are having great fun watching him
stumble into the alcohol detox ambulance
Two inspired moments in the history of prose on one short reply. That was some fine stuff. Pgardn, do you write your own material?
Old 04-25-2009, 04:42 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Two inspired moments in the history of prose on one short reply. That was some fine stuff. Pgardn, do you write your own material?
Yes.

And the consensus seems to be my
attempts to communicate
are quite juvenile,
followed up with heaving spoonful of awful.

Check your taste bud's functional capacity.
Old 04-25-2009, 05:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
Everyone was fairly under control last year but this year I am fearing the worst, everyone has been couped up in the house all winter and this is the first 2009 excursion. Put that with possibly 80 degrees, sun, and the seats we have, and the perfect storm is a coming
Old 04-25-2009, 08:28 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:

I'm a 19 year infielder by choice, and don't see that changing anytime soon, but I do have a few helpful hings.

For lodging, check some of the places in Shepherdsville, exit 117 off of I-65. There are some decent places and Churchill is exit 129, so only 12 miles. You can find Hampton Inn/Baymont Suites type limited service lodging there in the $120-150/night range.

Taxi rides in are not that difficult if you think a little ahead. Probably $30-40. The problem with a taxi is the ride back. They send everyone out in a long line where all of the taxi's pickup outside the main gate. It backs up shortly after the Derby, and doesn't thin out until well after the last race. I've waited over an hour in that line which feels like you are going back and forth waiting to ride space mountain or something. Don't even think about venturing out the other way to find a taxi because the madhouse of the infield goes that way.

If you go to the infield with your wife while dressed nicely, go earlier. After 3p it's a total drunken mess...I'll be at the 5/8ths pole on the turf course, but you don't want to bring anyone around after 3. My wife doesn't go anymore, opting to just pretend I don't act 22 on Derby weekend.

Very important tip. By the 3rd or 4th race, start thinking ahead on wagers. Once I'm convinced the track is fair, I bet at least two races everytime I go. Example, I bet the 3rd and 7th. Next trip the 4th and 8th..5th and 9th......and so on. This will keep you from having to go to the windows every race after the 6th or so and the lines can be awful with thousands of gamblers, first timers, and inexperienced tellers. It's no fun trying to call a Pick 3 wheel for a teller on their first day.