Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlBred
QUOTE]

Last time I checked people of all walks of life suffer from mental illness.
Yes, of course. I would expect that some occupations correlate far higher than others to incidence of MI.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:05 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
So this makes the fact that he took the life of his wife and child a non issue or no big deal?? what do all of these folks listed have to do with this situation, besides that they shared the same profession?
If he was mentally ill, like you claimed, then why didn't anyone in his profession notice? Why aren't there mental evaluations of these wrestlers in the WWE and WCW or whatever the **** abbreviation it's under? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at that list and see that something doesn't add up.

The fact is the WWE/WCW/NAMBLA doesn't give a fu.ck about anything but money. And taking measures to protect their entertainers is a waste of money to them because they can just go out and hire another meathead to hug another meathead for 5 minutes and charge thousands of meatheads $50 to watch it.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Keeneland

Mental illness is too often used as an excuse. Could it be some humans are just plain evil?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:11 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
If he was mentally ill, like you claimed, then why didn't anyone in his profession notice? Why aren't there mental evaluations of these wrestlers in the WWE and WCW or whatever the **** abbreviation it's under? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look at that list and see that something doesn't add up.

The fact is the WWE/WCW/NAMBLA doesn't give a fu.ck about anything but money. And taking measures to protect their entertainers is a waste of money to them because they can just go out and hire another meathead to hug another meathead for 5 minutes and charge thousands of meatheads $50 to watch it.

I am by no means a wrestling fan........Cant tell you the last time I even watched it. But to sit here and point fingers as to who is to blame is senseless, the bottom line is that it is a HUGE tragedy regardless of who he was or what he did for a living. At the end of the day 2 innocent people were taken senselessly
Old 06-26-2007, 03:12 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
Mental illness is too often used as an excuse. Could it be some humans are just plain evil?
Agreed. But what explains the suddeness of it? If someone is evil in this manner wouldnt it have reared its head a along time ago?
Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Agreed. But what explains the suddeness of it? If someone is evil in this manner wouldnt it have reared its head a along time ago?
It certainly is scary when you see other stories like this of seemingly normal people who just 'snapped' one day.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
I am by no means a wrestling fan........Cant tell you the last time I even watched it. But to sit here and point fingers as to who is to blame is senseless, the bottom line is that it is a HUGE tragedy regardless of who he was or what he did for a living. At the end of the day 2 innocent people were taken senselessly
That seems to be the american way lately. Lets not try and figure out why..lets just mourn for the dead and then forget about it all a few...oh look Paris Hilton is out of jail...oh oh a butterfly!!!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:16 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Yes, of course. I would expect that some occupations correlate far higher than others to incidence of MI.
Isn't that the truth..you should have heard the stories in the ethics seminair I had to sit through the other day!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:19 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
That seems to be the american way lately. Lets not try and figure out why..lets just mourn for the dead and then forget about it all a few...oh look Paris Hilton is out of jail...oh oh a butterfly!!!

I absolutely agree it needs to be figured out why, but unfortunately I don't know if there is an answer. Our society has been dealing with individuals and cases like this for a long time, but have never come up with a concrete explanation. It is one of those things that may never be figured out, we do not know what goes on inside ones head when they have gotten to this point.

I could give a rats ass about PAris Hilton, in the big picture this incident puts things in perspective and shows how irrelevant someone like her is.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

Did he all of a sudden become mentally ill? Fact is some need the excuse of mental illness so as not to cast judgement. We now all know he was Canadian so medical coverage obviously was not the problem.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Coach Pants

Here's the latest, and as I suspected a suspicion of him being an abuser has come to light.

Quote:
News conference notes from Fayetteville, GA:

- Lt. Pope: WWE called police officials at 2:30PM on Monday over concern for Benoit�s well being. Police found all three bodies in the home. �Double Homicide Suicide� is the official ruling.

- It appears Benoit killed his wife on Friday, his son shortly after, and likely hanged himself either late Saturday night or early Sunday.

- No suicide note was left behind.

- Asphyxiation is the official ruling for Benoit�s wife and son deaths.

- Benoit was previously arrested for a DUI.

- A lot of prescription medication was found in the home, legal prescriptions.

- Police found anabolic steroids in the home.

- No comment from police regarding a possible motivation.

- He killed himself several hours, but no more than a day, after killing son Daniel.

- Police is unaware of prior domestic violence.

- District Attorney Scott Ballard stated that a Bible was placed near each murder victim.

- Benoit bond Nancy�s hands and feet and she was wrapped in a towel. Blood was found near Nancy�s body.

- In 2003, a temporary restraining order was sought but later dropped.

- Benoit made no attempt to hide the bodies.

- The DA himself has not heard from WWE.

- Daniel was found in an upstairs bedroom. Benoit�s wife was also found in an upstairs family room, and Benoit hung himself in the weight room in the basement.

- The toxicology reports are still pending. It will probably take more than two weeks for the reports to be finished.

- Benoit apparently called WWE stating that Daniel was coughing up blood, thus likely the �personal reasons� for missing weekend house shows.
This didn't come out of nowhere. What sickens me the most is the guy had the capacity to call in work and blamed it on his son coughing up blood.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:29 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I absolutely agree it needs to be figured out why, but unfortunately I don't know if there is an answer. Our society has been dealing with individuals and cases like this for a long time, but have never come up with a concrete explanation. It is one of those things that may never be figured out, we do not know what goes on inside ones head when they have gotten to this point.

I could give a rats ass about PAris Hilton, in the big picture this incident puts things in perspective and shows how irrelevant someone like her is.

I also agree that we need to find answers, but blaming folks never solved much...in the end, if the stories are true and he killed his wife, son and self, then he and he alone is responsible. To say it's McMahon's fault etc is useless...why didn't others see the signs? Well, how about those postal workers who suddenly snapped or the kid at Virginia Tech? After the tragic event, using 20-20 hindsight, there are always "signs" to point at but the simple fact is that human beings are complex and most folks have a hard enough time keeping their lives together let alone seeing signs of trouble in others. The best way to proceed is to forget about pointing fingers and seek the answers where ever they might be!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:30 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellinger63
Did he all of a sudden become mentally ill? Fact is some need the excuse of mental illness so as not to cast judgement. We now all know he was Canadian so medical coverage obviously was not the problem.

I am not sure what his behavior had been like, obviously only those real close to him knew what demons he was fighting. I am by no mean a doctor. Evil? Mentally ill? We may never know, but whatever it was sure is ashame!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:33 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
I also agree that we need to find answers, but blaming folks never solved much...in the end, if the stories are true and he killed his wife, son and self, then he and he alone is responsible. To say it's McMahon's fault etc is useless...why didn't others see the signs? Well, how about those postal workers who suddenly snapped or the kid at Virginia Tech? After the tragic event, using 20-20 hindsight, there are always "signs" to point at but the simple fact is that human beings are complex and most folks have a hard enough time keeping their lives together let alone seeing signs of trouble in others. The best way to proceed is to forget about pointing fingers and seek the answers where ever they might be!

Absolutely!
Old 06-26-2007, 03:35 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
In other words, the beat goes on and more wrestlers will perish under the care of Vince McMahon.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
Arlington Park

Whatever made what happen occur, it's very sad. It's difficult to imagine what could lead a man to do what he did.
Old 06-26-2007, 03:56 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
In other words, the beat goes on and more wrestlers will perish under the care of Vince McMahon.
Pillow,
Not to jump in, but I think you are taking Somerfrost's general point and trying to make it specific.
I think SF is looking at the "big picture", and I think he's on target.
I am not a "mental health professional", but what little I DO know is that mentally stable people do not commit suicide, nor do they kill their wife and son. This whole thing is very tragic.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:03 PM
The Curragh

Benoit is a sick man, what the hell. I don't care what Mental Health problems you have, take them out on yourself and kill yourself, not your wife and 7 year old son.
Old 06-26-2007, 04:04 PM
Dee Tee Stables

steroid use can make one very short tempered, correct? who knows, maybe things were bad, she called and said don't come home, and he snapped. hell, there's a past there--how many here have had a restraining order against them? tony and i have known each other over 20 years, no cops to this point, and i sure don't anticipate any!
Old 06-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
steroid use can make one very short tempered, correct? who knows, maybe things were bad, she called and said don't come home, and he snapped. hell, there's a past there--how many here have had a restraining order against them? tony and i have known each other over 20 years, no cops to this point, and i sure don't anticipate any!
Yes it can. And if you suffer from depression it will only make matters worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Benoit was a manic. That with the combination of steroids would equal a deadly combo.