Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-27-2006, 11:21 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bold Brooklynite
Two games ... 180 minutes of "action" ... and not one score ... not a single one ... until the ref gift-wrapped a non-game-action one for Italy in the final 10 seconds.

Question: In all these other upcoming "exciting" games ... will anyone actually score a goal?
If you watch soccer just to see goals scored you have missed the boat. It is an aquired taste. Kinda of like baseball.

Also Americans apparently have a difficult time concentrating for 45 minutes straight. I guess we love commercial breaks, continuous foul balls on 3-2 counts, and mindless driveling announcers.

Take a typical kid. You think they would like to run around kicking a ball or sitting in a dugout waiting to bat... forever? Or chasing grasshoppers in the outfield while the pitcher and catcher play throw the ball back and forth?

It is a great game.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtrekker
I'll be at the local pub, rooting for Portugal. I realize it's not the wisest thing to do in a football-crazed UK town, but hey...if I die, at least it will be because my team won.
LOL I'd LOVE to be in a UK town right now!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:44 PM
pgardn

Germany over Argentina
Italy over Ukraine
England over Portugal
Brazil over France

Germany over Italy
Brazil over England

Germany over Brazil
Old 06-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Flemington

France,Brazil,or Argentina.....No England,or Germany.If France would play like they did in their last game,then I would take them at 10 or 11-1,but from what I hear,I saw them on their best day.
Old 06-29-2006, 10:06 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
France,Brazil,or Argentina.....No England,or Germany.If France would play like they did in their last game,then I would take them at 10 or 11-1,but from what I hear,I saw them on their best day.
A bet on the Germany-Argentina game scuds? since you have Argentina moving forward.
Old 06-30-2006, 04:25 AM
Santa Anita

Germany v Argentina cold be one of the games of the tournament today. I cant believe that I was able to back Argentina at higher than 2-1 to win the game. I believe that they'll have too much attacking power for the weak German defence. Italy should win tonight, but may try their best not to.

England - Portugal will be a cracker as well. If England play like they have been, they wont win, while I believe that France may shock the Brazilians!

#Grand
Old 06-30-2006, 05:27 AM
Turf Paradise

Argentina over Germany (who knows??)
Italy over Ukraine
Portugal over England (I think Portugal's playing better, although the cautions on so many key players may wind up screwing them...and Ronaldo looks like he may not play)
France over Brazil (also agree that France could surprise Brazil)

Argentina over Italy
France over Portugal

Argentina over France
Old 06-30-2006, 10:17 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
A bet on the Germany-Argentina game scuds? since you have Argentina moving forward.
Did I say that? I said that Argentina,Brazil,or France will take it all.You've interpreted what I said incorrectly.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:19 AM
Flemington

Oh,it's on now anyways.
Old 06-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Sunshine Park

I have to cheer for England here, because I love Beckham!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:44 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCUDSBROTHER
Oh,it's on now anyways.
Good no take Scuds. Ya big Buckin Chicken.
Let me explain something.
Before this game you would have to had Argentina over Germany to consider Argentina for the finals. Yes? Have you looked at the draw?
Old 06-30-2006, 12:59 PM
Santa Anita

Bloody Germans. They've just ruined my holiday to Argentina next week> I cant feckin believe it! Argie manager is insane. Bringing on Cruz instead of Messi or Saviola - tactical suicide!

#Grand
Old 06-30-2006, 01:33 PM
Turf Paradise

Gotta wonder how that would have played out if Argentina hadn't been on their sub goalie...puta madre. (I'm guessing I can swear in Spanish here without getting censored.) What an awful way to end a good run.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:34 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Bloody Germans. They've just ruined my holiday to Argentina next week> I cant feckin believe it! Argie manager is insane. Bringing on Cruz instead of Messi or Saviola - tactical suicide!
They Argentine side went into a defensive shell in the 2nd half giving the Germans a chance. They played that tuck back European ball after getting a lead and you just cant do that against a team that attacks. Part of Argentina's defense is the ability to move the ball around in the midfield effectively frustrating and tiring less skilled teams while pulling off attacks. The midfield dominance was gone in the 2nd half.

My take.
Old 06-30-2006, 01:37 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishtrekker
Gotta wonder how that would have played out if Argentina hadn't been on their sub goalie...puta madre. (I'm guessing I can swear in Spanish here without getting censored.) What an awful way to end a good run.
Goalie did not matter. No goalie could not have possibly made the save on the 2nd half goal.
He did however look lost during the shootout. But the Argentine side should have never let it go into a shootout. They really stopped badly after the first half. And the Germans did make the right substitutions.
Old 06-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Good no take Scuds. Ya big Buckin Chicken.
Let me explain something.
Before this game you would have to had Argentina over Germany to consider Argentina for the finals. Yes? Have you looked at the draw?

It means exactly what it says.ARGENTINA,FRANCE,OR BRAZIL will win it all.Does that mean Germany could win today(and the statement still be true?, ...yes.)Let me simplify this for you,teacher.Now that Germany beat Argentina(actually Argentina got tighter than a virgin in January,but a win is a win,) I am saying the winner of it all is the winner of the Brazil/France game. Do you understand now? Somehow you made this match between Germany/Argentina the make or breaker,and it was not.Still got 2 teams.After tomorrow's game, one will be left of the 3 I mentioned.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruffian
I have to cheer for England here, because I love Beckham!
Ruffian, I am the complete opposite. I hate the English football team especially David Beckham. The whole English media regarding the football team drives most non-englishmen nuts. They are ridiculously arrogant and its so good to see the team fail time after time. Hopefully, the trend continues tomorrow with Portugal!

#Grand
Old 06-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brockguy
Ruffian, I am the complete opposite. I hate the English football team especially David Beckham. The whole English media regarding the football team drives most non-englishmen nuts. They are ridiculously arrogant and its so good to see the team fail time after time. Hopefully, the trend continues tomorrow with Portugal!
Noooo!!! Although I do understand your dislike of the English team. Beckham gets most of the media spotlight, and he isn't their best player by a long shot. I'm a sucker for a bad boy, though!
Old 06-30-2006, 07:45 PM
BellamyRd.

well Beckham was a bad boy
now his image is more of the family man
still at 34, can play a mean midfield
Winalda said Argentina should have won
but I have to think the Germs attacked <blitzkrieg>
and were far more aggresive than the Argies
perhaps Italy can oust the Germaphrodites
but well you guys are really fooling your own selves
if you think the French fries are going to
take out R & R
well they did in '98 but they were hosts
and had a better squad
I have to say I'm rooting for Portugal
over England
being Scot-Irish, and not wanting to hear God save the Queen
do they mean Elton John or The Old Lady who lives in the palace
with her son who thinks he's a tampon?
Old 07-01-2006, 04:43 PM
Turf Paradise

Ohh, that pub got quiet awfully fast this evening...I don't think anyone figured out that there were three of us in a corner silently cheering until we started sneaking out -- apparently, we weren't bereaved enough. Heartbreaker for the English -- lots of people crying in the pub, lots of very drunk people stumbling around silently on the streets.

Bring on the next round!