Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2007, 05:53 PM
Monmouth Park

Default Pro Football Hall of Fame

Can someone please help me understand why Art Monk continues to get over looked. This guy had a tremendous career, rewrote all the record books, played on 3 Super Bowl Championship teams, never got into trouble, and still doesn't get in.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:27 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i don't know why. he absolutely should be in!
Old 02-03-2007, 06:31 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
Can someone please help me understand why Art Monk continues to get over looked. This guy had a tremendous career, rewrote all the record books, played on 3 Super Bowl Championship teams, never got into trouble, and still doesn't get in.
Came a little to close to Jerry Rice and he played on only one Super Bowl Championship team, but in two other Super Bowls. The one Super Bowl he did not play in was the only Super Bowl winning team he was on.

His stats look great. But Irvin got 3 Super Bowls. Apparently those go a heck of a long way with the voters. I would have put Monk in over Irvin. But I am prejudiced and hate the Cowboys as well as Irvin's lyng vices. Of course Michael Irvin has been saved about 3 or 4 times after his little coke induced sex flings. I guess Monk has not been saved enough times by popular Black pastors.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:41 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Good to see Thurman Thomas get in...helluva nice guy.
Old 02-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Sha Tin

He will get in, just dont know when
Old 02-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Arlington Park

Derrick Thomas overlooked again too.
Old 02-04-2007, 10:35 AM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Came a little to close to Jerry Rice and he played on only one Super Bowl Championship team, but in two other Super Bowls. The one Super Bowl he did not play in was the only Super Bowl winning team he was on.

His stats look great. But Irvin got 3 Super Bowls. Apparently those go a heck of a long way with the voters. I would have put Monk in over Irvin. But I am prejudiced and hate the Cowboys as well as Irvin's lyng vices. Of course Michael Irvin has been saved about 3 or 4 times after his little coke induced sex flings. I guess Monk has not been saved enough times by popular Black pastors.
He played in 4 Super Bowls, won 3 (Miami, Denver, and Buffalo) lost 1 (Oakland).
Old 02-04-2007, 11:10 AM
Hialeah Park

Real glad that Thurman got in. I thought Irvin's induction was expedited because he is an announcer and close to the voters. He was a great receiver and belongs in the HOF but shouldn't have got in before Art Monk and maybe even Andre Reed.

Career receiving yards:
Reed - 13198
Monk - 12721
Irvin - 11904

Career receptions:
Reed - 951
Monk - 940
Irvin - 750

Career receiving TDs:
Reed - 87
Monk - 68
Irvin - 65

Considering that Irvin's career started in 1988 as opposed to Reed in 1985 and Monk in 1980 and he started in a much more pass happy era I think that makes this difference even more staggering. I hate it when they reward the guys that had shorter careers and then enjoy success as a commentator rather than the guys who were great for a long time.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:24 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
Derrick Thomas overlooked again too.
He cant lobby
Old 02-04-2007, 12:57 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samarta
He played in 4 Super Bowls, won 3 (Miami, Denver, and Buffalo) lost 1 (Oakland).
I stand corrected. You are right. But he did not play against Miami. I believe he was injured.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:21 PM
pgardn

Being on the Cowgirls helps. Look at the Probowl this year. Romo and Roy Williams... are you kidding me. Roy Williams hits hard and cant cover a bed and he gets in.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:22 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
He cant lobby
there was group put together and lobbing on his behalf for this year. i'm sure they'll try again next year.

another one is kenny stabler. now there's a QB and party animal.
Old 02-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Bowie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Being on the Cowgirls helps. Look at the Probowl this year. Romo and Roy Williams... are you kidding me. Roy Williams hits hard and cant cover a bed and he gets in.
I'm a Cowboys fan and I agree with you 100% on Roy Williams. He's nothing more than an out of control safety who will crush 2 people a game(often on his own team) and get beat deep AT LEAST 1 or 2 times a game. As for Romo it is unusual he got in considering the # of games he played but I don't know anyone else in the NFC I'd put in there.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddthetide
there was group put together and lobbing on his behalf for this year. i'm sure they'll try again next year.

another one is kenny stabler. now there's a QB and party animal.
man, now that's a blast from the past. good ol kenny, he was something else on the field and off!
Old 02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
man, now that's a blast from the past. good ol kenny, he was something else on the field and off!
snake had ice water in his veins with 2 minutes to go and the raiders on the short end of the score.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:47 PM
Coach Pants

Bruce Matthews is inducted. Deservedly so.
Old 02-04-2007, 09:52 PM
5'8".. but all man!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Bruce Matthews is inducted. Deservedly so.

worked as hard as anyone in the history of the game.. a true gamer.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:32 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Real glad that Thurman got in. I thought Irvin's induction was expedited because he is an announcer and close to the voters. He was a great receiver and belongs in the HOF but shouldn't have got in before Art Monk and maybe even Andre Reed.

Career receiving yards:
Reed - 13198
Monk - 12721
Irvin - 11904

Career receptions:
Reed - 951
Monk - 940
Irvin - 750

Career receiving TDs:
Reed - 87
Monk - 68
Irvin - 65

Considering that Irvin's career started in 1988 as opposed to Reed in 1985 and Monk in 1980 and he started in a much more pass happy era I think that makes this difference even more staggering. I hate it when they reward the guys that had shorter careers and then enjoy success as a commentator rather than the guys who were great for a long time.
Great stats,Sniper! Media perception is usually skewed by the bright,shiny objects like trophies!
Old 02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmgirvan
Great stats,Sniper! Media perception is usually skewed by the bright,shiny objects like trophies!
Yeah, like Irvin would have had any of those trophies without that incredible offensive line. And I'm sure Andre Reed must have distracted Norwood on that field goal to make him miss so it is all his fault he didn't get a ring. The funny thing is Monk even has a ring and at the time of his retirement was the NFL's all time leading receiver and yet he still isn't in. Maybe someday the media will realize that sports are team games and individuals' abilities shouldn't be based solely on championships won. I doubt it though.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
Coach Pants

Sniper brings up some good points about Irvin but left out the most important...how many rings he has compared to reed and monk.