Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Sports Bar & Grill
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-19-2006, 10:33 PM
pgardn

Default Steven A. Smith

I cannot get a handle on this guy.

He says AI and Carmello are very good people.
He said any black man that is not rooting for Mike Tyson over Evander Holyfield has something wrong with him. I wonder how many people remember this. I wonder if he remembers it...

But then he says some things that are very thoughtful and make perfect sense. He extolls the virtue of family(2 parents) and education, etc....

I have never listened to a guy I agree and then disagree with so much. I guess ESPN picked the right guy for the job cause I watch him.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Arlington Park

Blame the writers, producers and directors as much as SAS. Too much airtime and just not that much to talk about (or write script for ). Contrast his show with something like NFL Today where every word all 5 or 6 of the guys speak is scripted.

And maybe referencing his urging of blacks to root for those athletes, perhaps he's doing so in a positive fashion (i.e., to straighten up, etc...).

I watch him very infrequently then only for a couple minutes. It's all I can take. I prefer highlights and not much analysis. Then again, I still read the comics first thing when I get the morning newspaper.
Old 12-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Blame the writers, producers and directors as much as SAS. Too much airtime and just not that much to talk about (or write script for ). Contrast his show with something like NFL Today where every word all 5 or 6 of the guys speak is scripted.

And maybe referencing his urging of blacks to root for those athletes, perhaps he's doing so in a positive fashion (i.e., to straighten up, etc...).

I watch him very infrequently then only for a couple minutes. It's all I can take. I prefer highlights and not much analysis. Then again, I still read the comics first thing when I get the morning newspaper.
I like the guy, he speaks his mind and that's always refreshing! He knows his basketball for sure and has good insight! Do I always agree with him? Of course not! But I value his opinions and usually understand where he's coming from, agree or not!
Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 AM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
I like the guy, he speaks his mind and that's always refreshing! He knows his basketball for sure and has good insight! Do I always agree with him? Of course not! But I value his opinions and usually understand where he's coming from, agree or not!
He definitely knows his BBall. That's for sure.
Old 12-20-2006, 09:02 AM
Del Mar

I cant think of a better person to represent what is a horrible league.The NBA has gone so downhill the last 10-15 years. Steven A Smith can have the NBA and vice versa. His act is so insanely idiotic, its funny.

I'll take the guys who analyze college hoops any day like Jay Bilas. Hes great and a true class act. Heck, I even like Dick Vitale.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:38 AM
Randwyck

speaking of downhill, the NFL has become a borefest with the amount of truely horrible teams and the amount of time lost to bogus flags and stupid challanges
Old 12-20-2006, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I cant think of a better person to represent what is a horrible league.The NBA has gone so downhill the last 10-15 years. Steven A Smith can have the NBA and vice versa. His act is so insanely idiotic, its funny.

I'll take the guys who analyze college hoops any day like Jay Bilas. Hes great and a true class act. Heck, I even like Dick Vitale.
Gander...we get it, you don't like the NBA! It's all personal opinion but I think Smith is excellent and the NBA gets a bad rap...Steve Francis has a point whether we admit it or not!
Old 12-20-2006, 01:13 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by somerfrost
Gander...we get it, you don't like the NBA! It's all personal opinion but I think Smith is excellent and the NBA gets a bad rap...Steve Francis has a point whether we admit it or not!

ganders right the league has obviously gone downhill since i was a little kid watching in the 80's through early 90's. however i think quality wise it is on its on the way backup. obviously losing the greatest athlete of all time(#23) isnt gonna make things better. will iverson actually be able to coexist with mello? i dont know if iverson can coexist with any1. lol i hope AI got his wife a nice 4.5 mil dollar rock like kobes got, since that"groupie" came out with that book and said she slept with AI amongst other big name celebs
Old 12-20-2006, 01:14 PM
eurobounce

The NBA is a great game. It is a different type of game compared to college b-ball. I appreciate both and I love both. I like the NBA because it is a game of adjustments. I love the ever changing strategy, the physicalness of the game and the sure talent. I also like Stephen A Smith....but is it only me that thinks SAS really wants to be Ludicrous?
Old 12-20-2006, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
The NBA is a great game. It is a different type of game compared to college b-ball. I appreciate both and I love both. I like the NBA because it is a game of adjustments. I love the ever changing strategy, the physicalness of the game and the sure talent. I also like Stephen A Smith....but is it only me that thinks SAS really wants to be Ludicrous?
You might be right there...lol!
Old 12-20-2006, 02:37 PM
Del Mar

Okay, I've made my point. I use to love the NBA. Oh well for me theres always baseball (which I cant blame many people for thinking the same has happened there) and horse racing.
Old 12-21-2006, 12:27 AM
Monmouth Park

the only interesting thing I have read by Norman Chad lately is that it seems like you hear steven a smith before you ever see steven a smith(or something like that).

its true, the dude is just so loud and obnoxious that you forget that there is no substance or originality to what he is saying.
its like the the guy who averages 2.3 points a game but always has one really good dunk at the end of the night.
you forget that he has no skills.
well, thats steven a smith.

Id be surprised if this guy ever played any sport at any level higher than high school jv.

got to love the land of affirmative action!
without it, fools like steven a smith would just be teaching junior high english in the hood instead of talking about the NBA on your television each night.

Repent
Old 12-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Steve Byk

I usually avoid the ridiculousness of Repent's ignorant race-bating, but will take up the cause here. 'Affirmative action' has nothing to do with Steven A Smith's success. If you knew anything about him, you'd know that he was an outstanding columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer for years before getting the gig(s) on ESPN. While I cannot stand his strident act on TV, his intellect and sports aptitude is pretty well beyond reproach. I'm disappointed with the way he has decided to play his personna on ESPN, as it doesn't reflect how well he writes about sports.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:20 AM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I usually avoid the ridiculousness of Repent's ignorant race-bating, but will take up the cause here. 'Affirmative action' has nothing to do with Steven A Smith's success. If you knew anything about him, you'd know that he was an outstanding columnist for the Philadelphia Inquirer for years before getting the gig(s) on ESPN. While I cannot stand his strident act on TV, his intellect and sports aptitude is pretty well beyond reproach. I'm disappointed with the way he has decided to play his personna on ESPN, as it doesn't reflect how well he writes about sports.
He's keeping it real, dawg.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:22 AM
Del Mar

I like Jay Bilas. I wish there were more guys like him in the press. So glad he covers college hoops and has nothing to do with the NBA.
Old 12-21-2006, 08:58 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
I enjoy hearing what he has to say whenever he's on the Sports Reporters. I enjoy watching the show, as my blood starts pumping when I want to reach through the TV and drag Mike Lupica out and kick his a$$! As for Stephen A. Smith, when I first heard of him, I thought he was an a$$, but as I listen to him we have a lot of agreements.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:17 AM
pgardn

He is clearly a very bright man.

But, "any black man that does not root for Mike Tyson over Evander Holyfield has something wrong with him..." Where in the crud does this stuff come from?

And he is totally American so Repent should love him. The almighty dollar above all with him. Its always about he is gettin paid, look what the man is getting paid, he has to do what they say because look what they are paying him... all about the money, loves excess... He is your man repent.
Old 12-21-2006, 11:10 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I like Jay Bilas. I wish there were more guys like him in the press. So glad he covers college hoops and has nothing to do with the NBA.
Not a roundball fan, but it's certainly true that TV sports reporting could use more multiple-degreed, educated types like Bilas..
Old 12-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Sha Tin

Default True story

I played Bball against Steven A when he played for FIT in manhattan. I read an article in SI about him, saw that he went to FIT at the same time I was in college. We played in FIT's xmas tourney both years that he was there. Of course I dont remember him but I do remember that FIT wiped us out by 40!
Old 12-21-2006, 01:30 PM
BellamyRd.

AI was my basketball idol
I have pictures, dolls, shoes, jerseys
I'm not sure what to do with them all
since they have 76ers on them
I'd have liked to have seen them really try for Shaq
a few years back, because I thought he was tight with Al
they'd have made a great inside/out combo~what might have been