Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Get-Togethers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Troy is a pretty cool little city IMO.. On the upswing too with the Tech Valley stuff going on. Have looked at buying a townhouse kind of building cheap downtown several times the last couple of years and rehabbing it.
Get it while it's still cheap.....

One other thing, on the towns outside of Saratoga, they are making huge efforts to improve them due to the fact that many people are looking to buy outside of Saratoga due to taxes. I lived in RI for many years, which has very expensive property values. The prices on real estate in upstate NY are
amazing to me.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:00 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
These are real numbers, not made up stuff that you're spouting just to delude everyone into thinking you're right...

State of Kentucky...Its per-capita personal income was US$28,513, 43rd in the nation

Bourbon County... Males had a median income of $30,989 versus $23,467 for females.

Fayette County...Males had a median income of $36,166 versus $26,964 for females

Clark County... Males had a median income of $35,774 versus $24,298 for females

Scott County... Males had a median income of $40,604 versus $25,767 for females

With your mentality the rest of the state must be like living in Darfur!! Oh the humanity!!
The income difference between males & females is ridiculous.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:14 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek
Get it while it's still cheap.....

One other thing, on the towns outside of Saratoga, they are making huge efforts to improve them due to the fact that many people are looking to buy outside of Saratoga due to taxes. I lived in RI for many years, which has very expensive property values. The prices on real estate in upstate NY are
amazing to me.

Then the taxes should really amaze you!!!
Old 03-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by estreetposse

Then the taxes should really amaze you!!!
You're taxes are less here than there too.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Louisiana Downs

Quote:
You're taxes are less here than there too.

Sorry, don't know about RI, I do know that in Mass. a house assessed more than $400k more than mine pays less in taxes than I do. Find the right area up here, you will be fine, Stray too far & pay out your A**.

Sorry no more on this K-land thread.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:43 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
The income difference between males & females is ridiculous.
Not looking for a fight here ....
Don't know how those numbers are calculated but...if stay at home moms with no income are included in the female median income calculations then that might skew the numbers and might partly explain the differences....it might be old fashion but there are still some couples where the husband works and the wife willingly stays home with the kids.

http://www.playlist.com/playlist/15640118795/standalone
Old 03-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
Not looking for a fight here ....
Don't know how those numbers are calculated but...if stay at home moms with no income are included in the female median income calculations then that might skew the numbers and might partly explain the differences....it might be old fashion but there are still some couples where the husband works and the wife willingly stays home with the kids.
I don't know if those are included in the numbers above but you can clearly see the wage discrepancy here where it doesn't factor is stay at home Moms or Dads:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.pdf

Even male sewing machine operators make more than females!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:12 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I don't know if those are included in the numbers above but you can clearly see the wage discrepancy here where it doesn't factor is stay at home Moms or Dads:

http://www.bls.gov/cps/cpsaat39.pdf

Even male sewing machine operators make more than females!
I'm sure that there is some injustice in pay...that said however, is it as black and white as some might assume?? maybe, then again maybe not.... do the numbers include OT earnings also?? do the numbers include part-time employee earnings also??
maybe, then again maybe not.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payson Dave
I'm sure that there is some injustice in pay...that said however, is it as black and white as some might assume?? maybe, then again maybe not.... do the numbers include OT earnings also?? do the numbers include part-time employee earnings also??
maybe, then again maybe not.
I'm sure they include OT earnings. So are you suggesting that men are more likely to work overtime than women across every occupation out there and that is accounting for the discrepancy? The fact is if a man and a woman have the same job the man will get paid on average 24% more nationwide. Those are BLS numbers, not statistics manipulated by some special interest group.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:26 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'm sure they include OT earnings. So are you suggesting that men are more likely to work overtime than women across every occupation out there and that is accounting for the discrepancy? The fact is if a man and a woman have the same job the man will get paid on average 24% more nationwide. Those are BLS numbers, not statistics manipulated by some special interest group.

As I said before... I'm sure that there is some injustice...I'm just not sure that it is as black and white as the BLS numbers seem to suggest...maybe it is but maybe the numbers are don't tell the whole story...Once again I'm not saying that there is not some injustice....not lookng for a fight... just call me a bit skeptical of how data can be interpreted.

Old 03-21-2007, 01:32 PM
Coach Pants

Just remember to make a trip to Keeneland. The poor people of Kentucky need your money!!
Old 03-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Oaklawn

you make me laugh Pillow
Old 03-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Sha Tin

I find it hard to believe that the area around Keeneland is being talked about in negative terms. The big A, Hollywood, Hawthorne, Pimlico, Fair Grounds, etc, maybe.
Old 03-21-2007, 01:45 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I find it hard to believe that the area around Keeneland is being talked about in negative terms. The big A, Hollywood, Hawthorne, Pimlico, Fair Grounds, etc, maybe.

My point exactly.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:17 PM
Suffolk Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
If you're a racing fan then you simply owe it to yourself to go to Lexington. Yeah, Keeneland is small, yeah it gets crowded, but in today's world of dwindling attendance Keeneland is one of the few tracks left where people are excited to be at the races. For us, the confused who love something that everyone else seems to have forgotten, this is a place where we belong. Anybody that spends a lot of their time at the NY tracks knows the sad feeling on closing day at Saratoga, the last day for 10 1/2 months when we aren't outcasts, understands exactly what I mean.
Andy you put into words what i have been trying to say for some time now. Great Post!!

NC Tony
Old 03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
The area around Hawthorne is pretty special.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:39 PM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
I find it to be a pretty nice place compared to where a lot of racetracks are located...
Old 03-22-2007, 12:43 PM
Monmouth Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
Keeneland is one of the few aesthetically pleasing racecourses in America. It's a no-brainer to visit it.

And as someone who frequents NY tracks like Andy, I get the same feeling when Saratoga closes. That is balanced for me by opening day of Belmont's spring meet. After six months of Aqueduct's dreariness, it is so refreshing to return to Belmont.
Belmont Park is one of THE most grand, most beautiful racecourses in the country. When one sits up high and looks outward at its vastness, then turns to the paddock with its trees and ivy covered brick to welcome you, there's no prettier place anywhere.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:50 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jman5581
I find it to be a pretty nice place compared to where a lot of racetracks are located...
Have you seem some of the conditions horses live in around keeneland? You can obviously tell that these horses are living in poverty. Some of them not only have to suffer grazing on cheap kentucky bluegrass, they also suffer with soreness!!
Old 03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Have you seem some of the conditions horses live in around keeneland? You can obviously tell that these horses are living in poverty. Some of them not only have to suffer grazing on cheap kentucky bluegrass, they also suffer with soreness!!
how would you know that, did you feel their legs?