Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Triple Crown Topics/Archive..
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
Steve Byk

Draw Quotes

Michael Iavarone (co-owner, BIG BROWN, PP #7, 1-2) – “Maybe he’ll get to save some ground for the first time.

“I think if he gets a clean trip, I don’t know of anybody who can run with him. I wouldn’t say we’re on the inside. I think we’ve drawn in the right spot. I wouldn’t want to have drawn on the inside in the 1, 2 or 3. In Post 20, he was kind of forced into a position where he had to stalk horses. Now drawing post 7, if nobody wants to go with him he can bounce out of there and take the race on his own on the lead. It gives Kent (Desormeaux) a lot more options. (Trainer) Rick (Dutrow) is elated with the 7. He really thought we’d get post 13 somehow.”

Don Stanley (co-owner, BEHINDATTHEBAR, PP #5 , 10-1) – “We like our post position. Our horse has no speed, so he’ll have to go back. He’ll come running, so the post position is good. We should do fine from this post.”

Paulo Lobo (trainer, GAYEGO, PP #12, 8-1) – “It’s a little outside, but what can you do? It’s better than 19. Let’s see how the horses are going to break. Everyone’s going to want a good position into the first turn, so it’s going to depend on how they break.”

Rich Schosberg (trainer, GIANT MOON, PP #11, 30-1) – “I’d say it’s the fourth worst post – 13, 12, 1 and then 11. It doesn’t help us out a whole lot. He’s got to use some speed and stay in the clear and not get parked too wide.”

Eddie Plesa (trainer, HEY BYRN, PP #13, 20-1) – “The post position is not what we would have chosen. But there are some good sides to it. He’ll be in the gate a short period of time, and you’re not going to get bumped around from the outside. You have to take that as an advantage. You have to overcome somewhat of a wide trip on the first turn.”

Graham Motion (trainer, ICABAD CRANE, PP #3, 30-1) – “It’s very good. (Jockey) Jeremy (Rose) would have chosen 1, 2 or 3 if he had his choice. I just didn’t want to draw on the outside. If you start in 13 or 14 you’re in the grandstand.”

Reade Baker (trainer, KENTUCKY BEAR, PP #8, 15-1) – “I love it. It’s outside Big Brown. It couldn’t be better. He’s beatable. He beat all those horses at Churchill Downs, but he didn’t beat us.”

Dallas Stewart (trainer, MACHO AGAIN, PP #1, 30-1) – “I don’t think it really matters with him. He’s not a frontrunner, so he can save some ground. You never know if you’ll get in trouble from any post.”

Jerry Carroll (co-owner, RACECAR RHAPSODY, PP #6, 30-1) –“We always have had high hopes for this horse and I think we’ve got an opportunity here. (Trainer) Kenny (McPeek) was hoping for 1, 2 or 3, but he said 6 is fine. We’d like to be a little bit closer to the pace.”

Edgar Prado (jockey, RILEY TUCKER, PP #10, 30-1) –“From there you have time to find a position before the turn. It all depends on the speed inside you. I’ll definitely have an eye on him when he moves, we’ll have to try to make a move as well.”

Nick Zito (trainer, STEVIL, PP #9, 30-1) – “It’s fine.”

Beau Greely (trainer, TRES BORRACHOS, PP #2, 30-1) – “Wonderful. He broke out of the inside pretty well the last time in the Arkansas Derby. Big Brown’s had an outside post the last couple of times. If he’s somewhere in the mix, maybe someone will knock him around and play a little smash mouth.”

Paddy Gallagher (trainer, YANKEE BRAVO, PP #4, 15-1) – “It looks good. It’s a fair post. We’re starting out in good shape, aren’t we?”
Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Coach Pants

All of the rah rah go team go and Zito cuts the bs with a strong quote. I laughed.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:57 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejay
Do you mean the horse beaten by 36.75 lengths by Big Brown?
The Kentucky Derby is a unique race...this will be a bit more fair.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Dee Tee Stables

he'll never win with not breaking from the outside... i mean, what will he do with horses both inside and outside of him??

Old 05-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjf1031
Going to take a shot with Racecar Rhapsody simply based on the idea of him getting off the Poly. Other than that will be limited wagering
I like your style.
Old 05-14-2008, 07:55 PM
Goodwood

Nobody's talking about Macho Again. Yeah, he hasn't done much around two turns, and the one true route race was abysmal (Lanes End- but note that his two worst career efforts were on the Poly) but he's bred well to go long. Since his maiden win he's 5-3-1-0 with just the mediocre effort in the Lecomte. Do I think he's going to beat Big Brown? No. But could he fill the exacta or trifecta at 30-1? Definitely.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by philcski
Nobody's talking about Macho Again. Yeah, he hasn't done much around two turns, and the one true route race was abysmal (Lanes End- but note that his two worst career efforts were on the Poly) but he's bred well to go long. Since his maiden win he's 5-3-1-0 with just the mediocre effort in the Lecomte. Do I think he's going to beat Big Brown? No. But could he fill the exacta or trifecta at 30-1? Definitely.
He smacks of a one-turn closer to me. Even if he can go two turns, I don't think the race sets up for him. He's a better proposition than Behindatthebar in my opinion, but I don't give either much shot.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:15 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid
He smacks of a one-turn closer to me. Even if he can go two turns, I don't think the race sets up for him. He's a better proposition than Behindatthebar in my opinion, but I don't give either much shot.
I kind of think so too, but I'll pay to find out at 30-1. At 10-1, like Behindatthebar, I won't.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:28 PM
The Curragh

Am I crazy for thinking Giant Moon will hit the board?
Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Jerome Park

I wouldn't use the word crazy but it might be a convenient excuse.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishofNDMan
Am I crazy for thinking Giant Moon will hit the board?
He's pretty slow. Would need a total meltdown and I don't think that's going to happen.
Old 05-14-2008, 09:46 PM

Quote:
He's pretty slow. Would need a total meltdown and I don't think that's going to happen.
He's not a closer..
Old 05-14-2008, 10:01 PM
Sam Houston

am I reaching when i think Tres Borraches could hit the board. I just dont see anybody coming to get him on the lead except for Big Brown, and maybe someone else.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
He's not a closer..
Not a CHANCE he makes the lead in here so he'll be closing from midpack whether he likes it or not.

Maybe meltdown was a kind description, now that i think of it...
Old 05-14-2008, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Not a CHANCE he makes the lead in here so he'll be closing from midpack whether he likes it or not.

Maybe meltdown was a kind description, now that i think of it...
My point was that there are many horses in the race that would need a pace meltdown to have a shot, but Giant Moon isn't one of them. Not saying I like him, just that a pace meltdown wouldn't be the ideal setup for him.
Old 05-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Goodwood

Quote:
My point was that there are many horses in the race that would need a pace meltdown to have a shot, but Giant Moon isn't one of them. Not saying I like him, just that a pace meltdown wouldn't be the ideal setup for him.
I don't know what the ideal setup for him is, which usually means I don't think he's got a shot. He's also been saddled with PG1985.
Old 05-15-2008, 04:15 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeker2
$2 show- all button ....Bridge-Jumper Deluxe!!!!!!!
Sounds like a great way to lose money. Bridgejumpers don't much care for 13 horse fields
Old 05-15-2008, 07:14 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slewbopper
Sounds like a great way to lose money. Bridgejumpers don't much care for 13 horse fields
then again how often do you see a 1/2 ML fav - I'd say they will be lurking.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmj934
am I reaching when i think Tres Borraches could hit the board. I just dont see anybody coming to get him on the lead except for Big Brown, and maybe someone else.
Taking a speed to fill out exotics in a race like this is probably a mistake. At some point, Big Brown will take complete control of this race, and that in all likelihood will discourage anyone fighting it out in front, and set the table for one of the slow clunkers ( like Racecar Rhapsody ) to suck into a filler position.

That, and Tres Borraches is particularly weak.
Old 05-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
Taking a speed to fill out exotics in a race like this is probably a mistake. At some point, Big Brown will take complete control of this race, and that in all likelihood will discourage anyone fighting it out in front, and set the table for one of the slow clunkers ( like Racecar Rhapsody ) to suck into a filler position.

That, and Tres Borraches is particularly weak.
The problem is that could be said for pretty much the entire field, save Big Brown.