Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2006, 09:32 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Who would you like him to beat? He can only run against who shows up. And you're Scrappy T analogy is absolutely ridiculous. You have to be kidding, how can you possibly compare the two?
So you are telling me that you don't think Scrappy T would have won the Preakness by open lengths if Afleet Alex would have broken down 200 yards in?

After reading all of these posts about Bernardini today, I guess I would like him to beat every living horse on the planet "backwards while towing the starting gate" (I'm paraphrasing from another post)

Let's go back and remember Bellamy Road from last year.

Remember after his allowance win and Wood Memorial how people were talking?

This is the same type situation.

Bellamy Road beat the hell out of very suspect competition in those two races, and all of a sudden he was a GD world beater.

While Flower Alley just scrapped up to win the piss poor Lanes End at Turfway, and then he wins the Jim Dandy/Travers and gets second in the BCC to Saint Liam.

I haven't heard anyone say that Flower Alley is the second coming of Christ, where are those posts?

I mean, he beat Bellamy Road in the Travers. Who was the best horse since god damned Eclipse himself.
Old 07-30-2006, 09:42 PM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Watch this and you will see the best horse in the World right now:

http://play.www.atr.servecast.net/pp..._07_29_05_1620
how about this one

http://www.jra.go.jp/vi/doc/vg_g1bn/...nglish_dsl.asx
Old 07-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Santa Anita

His races were nowhere near as tough as Barabro's KD and Florida Derby. They were nowhere near as tough as the 2 examples by Hurricane Run and the world's best bred horse, Deep Impact.

Please, Bernardini needs to pass real tests.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:28 PM
Santa Anita

unlike yourself, it appears, many of us have a grasp of the quality and depth of a race. therefore Bernardini needs to face a higher class and fitter competition than he has thus far.
Old 07-30-2006, 11:49 PM
Santa Anita

we'll just have to see who runs in the Travers in order to determine the quality of the field. i mean, people are pounding their chests that Bernardini is the greatest since sliced bread and he beaten nothing but weak, or tired fields. let's just see how his campaign plays out before we say he's better than Bobby which he is clearly NOT at this point.

Last edited by sumitas : 07-30-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:42 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
I know you're right. I see it more as some people on here just like hating on horses. Nothing is ever good enough, but I should have seen this coming. Again I ask, where would you like him to run, but never mind, I can see this going nowhere.
Shoot, I'm not hating on him at all. That little horse has done what he is supposed to like clockwork and I believe he is a really good 3 year old, the best we have right now.

What I was alluding to is the exclamations of greatness that are automatically thrown on this little guy's shoulders.

How can he possibly live up to people already crowning him as the likely winner of the JCGC, Travers, BCC, and HOTY?

Wouldn't you veer towards caution when dealing with the talent of three year old colts without much battle experience?

It is unfair to the horse to make him out to be some amazing talent that just sprouted up out of the ground just because he won two races over suspect competition.

When a horse wins like he did on Saturday, that doesn't tell me they are great. It tells me that there wasn't anything there to test him, and I'll give him credit for doing what he was supposed to do. If it happens that there isn't anything to test him for the rest of his career, then so be it. And if he does that number on the rest of the fields he faces, then he might just be great. But let us see what happens.

Let me ask you this, are you quick to give the label of greatness to a horse like Suave with his run in the Washington Park HCP on Saturday. He basically did the same thing to that field and broke the record to boot. Beating a multi-millionare and multiple Grade 1 winner in the process.

Is Suave great, and going to go the rest of the season undefeated and win HOTY off of his waltz around Arlington Park?

Last edited by Scurlogue Champ : 07-31-2006 at 12:46 AM.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:45 AM
Formerly 'moodwalker'

Quote:
You're just speculating a lot. Who knows who would have won the Preakness last year if Afleet Alex went down, because he didn't. You could say that about every race, if so and so went down, who would win? Obviously Flower Alley got better as the year went on, and Bellamy Road is a very nice horse. 2nd in the Travers, to a very good Flower Alley, especially off that layoff. But all of that doesn't matter, no one is talking about Bellamy Road, Flower Alley or Scrappy T. The topic is Bernardini, and he is a very special colt. He's beating whoever he runs against for fun, and will continue to.
Of course Bellamy Road is a nice horse. I never said he wasn't

What he is not is a Triple Crown winner, which is what seemed to be expected of him after last years romp in the Wood.

Just like you expect Bernardini to "beat whoever he runs agains for fun continually."

What happens when he doesn't do this, do you then just determine that he is a "nice horse" instead of "a very special colt?"
Old 07-31-2006, 04:11 AM
Turf Paradise

Hmmm...you're driving? Thanks, but I think I'll walk.
Old 07-31-2006, 06:59 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I don't have a whole lot to say here except that Bernardini beat horses he should have in this race, and his Preakness effort was obviously marred by the Barbaro incident. That's not even to mention the fact that Sweetnorthernsaint was probably as sore as can be coming into the Preakness. Anybody seen ol' Sweetnorthern lately? Eh?

I agree with Oracle's assessment that the big boys are probably going to take care of Bernardini with ease.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:27 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I don't have a whole lot to say here except that Bernardini beat horses he should have in this race, and his Preakness effort was obviously marred by the Barbaro incident. That's not even to mention the fact that Sweetnorthernsaint was probably as sore as can be coming into the Preakness. Anybody seen ol' Sweetnorthern lately? Eh?

I agree with Oracle's assessment that the big boys are probably going to take care of Bernardini with ease.
Flower Alley is looking and doing incredible right now.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:31 AM
oracle80

Playing a bad football team will make a good team look great, and a great team unbeatable.
Running against whats left of this crop will certainly make a very good horse look unbeatable.
However any field in which hemingway's key is beaten a nose bob for the place cannot be taken seriously.
He should romp in the Travers, then he has to face Flower Alley and Invasor type stuff, good luck. Extended pace pressure and horses who will not submit to one move, the kind that will counterpunch and say you will have to run extended lights out to beat me to the wire. The kind that are battle hardened and seasoned. I'm not exactly sold that he can beat those kind of horses.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:45 AM
Del Mar

Isnt this the same kind of field we should be expecting in the Travers, save for Strong Contender and Bluegrass Cat, who arent exactly world beaters?

You think the finish will be that much more exciting in the Travers?
Old 07-31-2006, 07:47 AM
Dee Tee Stables

based on BGC's finish in the derby, you'd have to expect he'd be a better test of bernardini than what he met saturday. strong contender on the other hand...maybe not so much.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:52 AM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Isnt this the same kind of field we should be expecting in the Travers, save for Strong Contender and Bluegrass Cat, who arent exactly world beaters?

You think the finish will be that much more exciting in the Travers?
Tim I already conceded him the Travers, I don't think those two are much either.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:53 AM
Del Mar

Danzig- Maybe so but deep down I dont think Bluegrass Cat will threaten Bernardini in the least way. He'll cruise again, unless Strong Contender is as good as some people proclaimed him to be about 3 months ago.
Old 07-31-2006, 07:58 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Good old Bluegrass Cat....I"d like to say he blows, but it's hard to dismiss a horse that placed in two TC races.
Dee Tee Stables

ya never know. bernardini hasn't been raced much, what will he do on a three week turnaround? that's a question that hasn't yet been answered, the 10f distance is new to him as well. altho i doubt that will be a problem either.

but he'll be a HEAVY fave, and deservedly so. but will it be another 'public workout'? possibly!
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
Tim I already conceded him the Travers, I don't think those two are much either.
i think everyone has...but, that's why they race!
Old 07-31-2006, 08:01 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Good old Bluegrass Cat....I"d like to say he blows, but it's hard to dismiss a horse that placed in two TC races.
that and you can't dismiss his trainer at the spa!