Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointg5
Not smoking anything, that race looked bad for top class horses...

Just because they are Euro's does not make them better...
The fact they they are the three best turf horses in the word makes them top class horses. English Channel would be 30-1 in a race including those horses.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:52 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Look how they were moving at the end, no acceleration, except one staggered better than the others...
You are crazy. The winner was a beast. EC will have his hands full with the two three year olds in america, the top 3 from the Kings George and Deep Impact are currently in a league of their own.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:53 AM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurobounce
The fact they they are the three best turf horses in the word makes them top class horses. English Channel would be 30-1 in a race including those horses.
Probably 8-1, but still not a likely winner. Those horses are just incredible physical specimens.
pgardn

Quote:
Look how they were moving at the end, no acceleration, except one staggered better than the others...
Most horses in most races are SLOWING DOWN the last furlong. When they pass one another its usually because they are not slowing down as rapidly as the others.

The way Hurricane run won that race was as hard as it gets. He did find a bit of luck that Electrocutionist started to push out a bit on Hearts Cry while the rabbit died in the appropriate spot. But that was it. The horse was completely bottled up and had enough left. It was an amazing race by anyones standards.
Turf Paradise

Good luck with that! My favorite over here so far has to be the way a BBC anchor pronounced Syracuse (something along the lines of "Si-ryuh-cuze." Then again, half of what I say sounds ridiculous to friends here. Just chalk it up to endearing linguistic differences.
eurobounce

Quote:
NO ACCELERATION--lol. Jesus, do you know anything about turf racing in Europe, do you know anything about these three horses? Look at the split in times and then tell me there was no acceleration.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:54 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Probably 8-1, but still not a likely winner. Those horses are just incredible physical specimens.
8-1, you are crazy too.
Old 07-31-2006, 09:57 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

I would suggest hurricane is a good old fashioned Yank word as well. Least they could do is pronounce it properly! I will boycott spending a dime on the horse until hurricane is said with a good old Yankee accent.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
Most horses in most races are SLOWING DOWN the last furlong. When they pass one another its usually because they are not slowing down as rapidly as the others.

The way Hurricane run won that race was as hard as it gets. He did find a bit of luck that Electrocutionist started to push out a bit on Hearts Cry while the rabbit died in the appropriate spot. But that was it. The horse was completely bottled up and had enough left. It was an amazing race by anyones standards.

Not in Turf racing, they are usually flying at the end, completely different animal than dirt racing, where it's speed, speed, speed...

In Europe they gallop and then lay it down coming home, they didn't look good to me coming home, it's my opinion...

Sorry if I don't bow down to the notion that European horses are always better...
Old 07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
boldruler

Quote:
8-1, you are crazy too.
Give the horse some respect. He leads the BC Turf points and will probably be 8-1 at the longest. I just don't see him beating them. I would take Showing Up and Go Between and their upside before I took any of the older american horses which all seem to be very good but nothing special. The liklihood is that only one or two of the big euros come over anyway.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Washington Park

8/1?!?! Come on. Those pompous Europeans arent going to bet any American horse that low on their own turf. When Hard Buck ran 2nd to Doyen in the Queen Elizabeth he was 33/1 and I'd guess English Channel to be about 20/1

I cant believe what a bunch of nerds we are. We're looking up money laundering in the dictionary.

www.myspace.com/dustinfabian
Old 07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
Sheepshead Bay

Quote:
NO ACCELERATION--lol. Jesus, do you know anything about turf racing in Europe, do you know anything about these three horses? Look at the split in times and then tell me there was no acceleration.

Watch how they are moving at the end...

And I caution you to put lol at the end, you have said some dumb things lately that I have let pass, I will lay the smack down next time you get out of line....
Old 07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Watch how they are moving at the end...

And I caution you to put lol at the end, you have said some dumb things lately that I have let pass, I will lay the smack down next time you get out of line....
What have I said that you have passed. Again, look at the splits and then come back to me.
Old 07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
eurobounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
Give the horse some respect. He leads the BC Turf points and will probably be 8-1 at the longest. I just don't see him beating them. I would take Showing Up and Go Between and their upside before I took any of the older american horses which all seem to be very good but nothing special. The liklihood is that only one or two of the big euros come over anyway.
I give EC all the respect in the world. But no way he is 8-1 in a race where those three are present. If you have a 12 horse field those three would be in single digit odds and the rest double digit odds. I would take Better Talk Now before I would EC.