Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2006, 01:22 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
1) Roman Ruler did it and last I checked the derby and preakness were 2 weeks apart and the Preakness and Belmont 3 weeks.

2) Showing Up had a reaction to a panalog injection and had to skip the race. Tagg just didn't make that public knowledge. SU wasn't tired, the trainer was just looking out for him. Tagg is like a lot of trainers, they don't lie, but they don't tell you everything either. The race wasn't winning him the Eclipse anyway. The Secretariat, Turf Classic, BC Turf plan is much better anyway without the VA Derby thrown in there.
Roman Ruler didn't win the Travers, he did win the Haskell....Would you rather WIN the Travers, a more prestigious race then the Haskell, or win the stupid Haskell and then run a tiring 3rd/4th in the Travers...No thank you with the Haskell. The only thing Monmouth is good for is turf racing
Old 07-28-2006, 01:25 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
1) Roman Ruler did it and last I checked the derby and preakness were 2 weeks apart and the Preakness and Belmont 3 weeks.

2) Showing Up had a reaction to a panalog injection and had to skip the race. Tagg just didn't make that public knowledge. SU wasn't tired, the trainer was just looking out for him. Tagg is like a lot of trainers, they don't lie, but they don't tell you everything either. The race wasn't winning him the Eclipse anyway. The Secretariat, Turf Classic, BC Turf plan is much better anyway without the VA Derby thrown in there.
Tagg will not go to the BC Turf with this horse REGARDLESS of what he does in the other races. He isn't going to try and take on Euro's best, along with horses like English Channel and Cacique....

Showing Up will win the Secretariat for fun, unless he acts like Funny Cide in the heat, I plan on singling him on every possible ticket that I have going with that race.....I don't care if King Cugat comes back to run in the race.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Tagg will not go to the BC Turf with this horse REGARDLESS of what he does in the other races. He isn't going to try and take on Euro's best, along with horses like English Channel and Cacique....

Showing Up will win the Secretariat for fun, unless he acts like Funny Cide in the heat, I plan on singling him on every possible ticket that I have going with that race.....I don't care if King Cugat comes back to run in the race.
Scav, you gonna bring back "The Sequence?"
Old 07-28-2006, 01:26 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Scav, you gonna bring back "The Sequence?"
No, I SUCK...I am not bringing back the sequence until I get back to normal
Old 07-28-2006, 01:27 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
Good luck to you, but I can't see LoV here. Up in class, against older and I don't see the kind of pace here she had last race. Maybe she wins at a short number but she won't be passing the likes of Precious Kitten and J'Ray here. I'll be on My Typhoon at 6-1+. Again, good luck.
thanks, good luck to you as well.. i like my typhoon and she looks like she's sitting on a big race. i dont think LoV needs that fast of a pace as the Appalachian stakes' pace was slow and she still ran a faster 6F on the same day at churchill than my typhoon. regardless, should be a great betting race. my bet, in addition to the p4, will have LoV over My typhoon keyed on top of my tri's.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:31 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
No, I SUCK...I am not bringing back the sequence until I get back to normal
Nah, you're gonna get hot and we need The Sequence. If I posted up something like that it would be "The Logic of Illogic."
Old 07-28-2006, 01:33 PM
boldruler

Quote:

Thanks for telling me what they are doing with Showing Up. I will be sure to tell that to Tagg at Arlington. I guess Bill Finley was just making up his article in the NYT too. Not only will Showing Up go to the BC Turf, but he might be one of the favorites after his Turf Classic win.

Showing Up is the real deal. Nobody has seen anything from him yet. There is a lot more in the tank with that horse. I still don't think he has Barbaro talent on the grass, but some close to him do.

Here are some parts of the article on Showing Up in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/sp...=1&oref=slogin

Change to the Turf Offers Horse a Chance to Show Off

By BILL FINLEY
Published: July 18, 2006

“Everybody who gets on him says he’s as good a horse as they’ve ever sat on,” said Showing Up’s trainer, Barclay Tagg, also the trainer of Funny Cide, the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner. “The jockey thinks he’s a super horse. I’m a guarded person and I don’t like to get too excited, but he’s done everything we’ve asked of him.”

Tagg said that Barbaro deserved to be the 3-year-old champion, an award usually given to a dirt horse, but he added that Showing Up could be named the male turf champion.

With that goal in mind, he has mapped out a schedule that consists of the Secretariat Stakes on Aug. 12 at Arlington Park, the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic on Oct. 7 at Belmont and the Breeders’ Cup Turf on Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Golden Gate

The Haskell to Travers is a tough turn around and taxing on a horse. Roman Ruler did it last year, but he ran horribly in the Travers,yes, the triple crown races are shortly spaced but trainers do that b/c they know they can take a break and gear back up (hopefully) for the late summer/fall races and Breeders Cup.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:34 PM
Saratoga

I sense the hottness coming. I am playing tomorrow, putting some chedda into Pinny. you are going to around or gone tomorrow?
Old 07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Thanks for telling me what they are doing with Showing Up. I will be sure to tell that to Tagg at Arlington. I guess Bill Finley was just making up his article in the NYT too. Not only will Showing Up go to the BC Turf, but he might be one of the favorites after his Turf Classic win.

Showing Up is the real deal. Nobody has seen anything from him yet. There is a lot more in the tank with that horse. I still don't think he has Barbaro talent on the grass, but some close to him do.

Here are some parts of the article on Showing Up in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/18/sp...=1&oref=slogin

Change to the Turf Offers Horse a Chance to Show Off

By BILL FINLEY
Published: July 18, 2006

“Everybody who gets on him says he’s as good a horse as they’ve ever sat on,” said Showing Up’s trainer, Barclay Tagg, also the trainer of Funny Cide, the 2003 Kentucky Derby and Preakness winner. “The jockey thinks he’s a super horse. I’m a guarded person and I don’t like to get too excited, but he’s done everything we’ve asked of him.”

Tagg said that Barbaro deserved to be the 3-year-old champion, an award usually given to a dirt horse, but he added that Showing Up could be named the male turf champion.
With that goal in mind, he has mapped out a schedule that consists of the Secretariat Stakes on Aug. 12 at Arlington Park, the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic on Oct. 7 at Belmont and the Breeders’ Cup Turf on Nov. 4 at Churchill Downs.
1) are you coming to Arlington?

2) At that point, there is no other race to put a turf router besides that race, but I don't think he will go, water will be too deep, THE BC Classic will be easier this year then the BC Turf
Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
Saratoga

How In The Hell Do I Go From Friggin Del Mar To Woodbine As My Track Moniker, Who Is Making These Rankings?

and I just found out that you can't do all caps, and when you do all caps it comes up above
Old 07-28-2006, 01:36 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Sasquash
The Haskell to Travers is a tough turn around and taxing on a horse. Roman Ruler did it last year, but he ran horribly in the Travers,yes, the triple crown races are shortly spaced but trainers do that b/c they know they can take a break and gear back up (hopefully) for the late summer/fall races and Breeders Cup.

Doesn't matter. A 95 degree day with humidity is harder on a horse than 3 weeks rest. I would gamble and take a chance with next weeks weather. Don't be surprised if one or two in the JD field do the same.

I think you can be 100% sure that Bright One will be running on three weeks rest in the Travers. WV Derby is next weekend.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:38 PM
Saratoga

it will be even hotter at Monmouth
Old 07-28-2006, 01:41 PM
boldruler

Quote:
it will be even hotter at Monmouth
It says 80 next week. Saratoga isn't usually this bad. It is just this heatwave. I just think grade 1's are grade 1's. Why run in a grade 2 when you have a grade 1 with $500K more. I doubt they are avoiding Strong Contender. There is nothing else to beat except SC and BGC.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
Golden Gate

Quote:
Doesn't matter. A 95 degree day with humidity is harder on a horse than 3 weeks rest. I would gamble and take a chance with next weeks weather. Don't be surprised if one or two in the JD field do the same.

I think you can be 100% sure that Bright One will be running on three weeks rest in the Travers. WV Derby is next weekend.
Bright One will run in the Travers, but he also didnt make his first start until Memorial day weekend. He didnt run in the Withers and Preakness vs graded stakes horses. totally different situation.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I have to disagree with the assessment that Monmouth is only good for turf racing, especially when referring to the Haskell. What the heck is wrong with the Haskell? It's probably one of the seven or eight most prestigious races for 3yo's in the country!
Old 07-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Churchill Downs

[quote=Scav]
DO YOU ACTUALLY THINK THEY WOULD RUN BACK IN THE TRAVERS AFTER 20 DAYS....it is ok to do that with claiming horses but you don't do that with horses like Bernadini..QUOTE]

This astonishes me. Just because a horse runs in stakes races doesn't mean that it doesn't need prep races coming off of a layoff. Good God, you are grousing about 20 days between races? That's almost TOO long for the horse to get the muscular-skeletal remodeling he needs for the next step up in performance. It wasn't until these trainers started saying their babies were too fragile to run two weeks apart to leg them up for a top effort that we started seeing 6 and 8 career races for classic types. When they run the horses ,4,5,6,7 weeks apart, it is like they are coming off of a lay-off every start and are racing on talent alone. Sometimes talent is enough, but it often leads to unnecessary injuries along the way.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:54 PM
boldruler

Quote:
1) are you coming to Arlington?

2) At that point, there is no other race to put a turf router besides that race, but I don't think he will go, water will be too deep, THE BC Classic will be easier this year then the BC Turf
No more dirt racing for Showing Up. He is just too good on the turf.

I plan on going to Arlington for the race on the 12th, the problem is the two guys I am going with might need to be in Saratoga for a Fasig Tipton sale on Aug 12-13. I might still go anyway, but I have to be at Saratoga on the 15th when the two Strategic Mission fillies are available.

Last edited by boldruler : 07-28-2006 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
I have to disagree with the assessment that Monmouth is only good for turf racing, especially when referring to the Haskell. What the heck is wrong with the Haskell? It's probably one of the seven or eight most prestigious races for 3yo's in the country!
if you have a speed horse that usually only last 9 furlongs, YEAH
Old 07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Monmouth is the most underrated track in america. Saratoga is obviously King, but Monmouth is really nice. The Haskell is the big leagues.

Point Given, War Emblem, Lion Heart, Touch Gold, Holy Bull.