Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-26-2016, 05:59 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4 View Post
To bad bad the owner doesn't have half the class Art does.
The man everyone saw go off after the belmont is no longer an owner. He sold his part of the horse last year.

Congrats to chrome, art, and everyone else.
Old 03-26-2016, 07:03 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

I love Laura Hillenbrand, but I'm a bit annoyed that she's talking up California Chrome "breaking the track record." Isn't this particular (newly dirt) track like 2 years old? She should know better.

He won with a slipped saddle. That's perfectly impressive in its own right.
Old 03-26-2016, 08:50 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig View Post
The man everyone saw go off after the belmont is no longer an owner. He sold his part of the horse last year.

Congrats to chrome, art, and everyone else.
Perry Martin, who gave the postrace interview today, is just as much of a jerk as Coburn was. No class or graciousness at all.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:05 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenuineRisk View Post
I love Laura Hillenbrand, but I'm a bit annoyed that she's talking up California Chrome "breaking the track record." Isn't this particular (newly dirt) track like 2 years old? She should know better.

He won with a slipped saddle. That's perfectly impressive in its own right.
Since it is considered a record, I have no issues with it. I wanted to cut off my ears though when it came to listening to people say this was the best field ever. Taking nothing away from Chrome, who was terrific.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:13 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateamstupid View Post
Perry Martin, who gave the postrace interview today, is just as much of a jerk as Coburn was. No class or graciousness at all.
Is he? I just figured coburn was the subject of that post. I couldn't pick Martin out of a lineup. No idea what he is like. And don't care. I don't follow racing because of the humans!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:40 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
Since it is considered a record, I have no issues with it. I wanted to cut off my ears though when it came to listening to people say this was the best field ever. Taking nothing away from Chrome, who was terrific.
You don't think CC and Frosted are better than MDO and Pleasantly Perfect? Blasphemy!
Old 03-27-2016, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sightseek View Post
I just think it's silly to make it sound like he did anything more than just run faster than the horse that beat him last year.

I agree though, he was sensational yesterday. I had Mubtaahij and would have done nicely if he'd won, but I was screaming with joy to see Chrome do it.

And the owners, whether Martin, Coburn or Taylor Made, have kept Sherman as the trainer for the entire ride, so they're all ok in my book. What a wonderful thing, to see a guy hit a career high in his eighth decade.
Old 03-28-2016, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I watched the 10 minute post-race press conference and I thought he actually came across pretty affable; it's obvious the "Five wide, Victor?" was meant as a joke, and VE took it that way.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-raci...ess-conference

Also interesting to hear Victor say he felt the saddle slip right out of the gate. What a performance by both him and CC.
Old 03-28-2016, 02:03 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
I watched the 10 minute post-race press conference and I thought he actually came across pretty affable; it's obvious the "Five wide, Victor?" was meant as a joke, and VE took it that way.

Also interesting to hear Victor say he felt the saddle slip right out of the gate. What a performance by both him and CC.
Yeah..VE said the wire couldn't get there fast enough actually pressed earlier than he wanted at the top of the stretch. Check out the finish line photos and the girth and extremely far back. I read some article that VE actually jumped off Chrome after the gallop out and adjusted the saddle for the ride back to the winner's circle.
Old 03-28-2016, 06:31 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Quote:

Wasn't referring to a press conference, just the one-on-one postrace interview from the track feed. Thought he was arrogant and off-putting throughout, casually guaranteeing CC would become highest money earner by the end of the year. Also the interviewer saying "congratulations, you've just won the $10 million Dubai World Cup!" and Martin just goes: "Yes. We did."
Old 03-29-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Wasn't referring to a press conference, just the one-on-one postrace interview from the track feed. Thought he was arrogant and off-putting throughout, casually guaranteeing CC would become highest money earner by the end of the year. Also the interviewer saying "congratulations, you've just won the $10 million Dubai World Cup!" and Martin just goes: "Yes. We did."
Oh; I haven't seen that one yet. I'll look it up. I thought he and Victor were pretty funny together in the press conference when he brought up the five-wide trip.
Old 03-29-2016, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casp0555 View Post
Yeah..VE said the wire couldn't get there fast enough actually pressed earlier than he wanted at the top of the stretch. Check out the finish line photos and the girth and extremely far back. I read some article that VE actually jumped off Chrome after the gallop out and adjusted the saddle for the ride back to the winner's circle.
He did indeed. Chrome was not patient about it; you could see he was still so full of adrenaline from the race.

Interesting read that just went up on Bloodhorse about the girth:

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/...ncing-act.aspx
Old 03-30-2016, 12:18 PM
Aqueduct

Chrome ran a very impressive race BRAVO!

I thought Perry Martin held to the old traditions established by Steve Coburn in his interview after the World Cup. He came across as smug, superior and dislikable. Dumb Ass Partners no longer has a stable; you might remove one of the partners but you can't remove the Dumb Ass from that barn.

Here was former owner Steve Coburn's reaction in a local paper:

California Chrome still a winner as former owner watches from afar
BY STEVEN MAYER smayer@bakersfield.com

Sure, he had a bit of a meltdown after his 2014 Horse of the Year, California Chrome, finished fourth at the Belmont Stakes that June, ending a historic bid to become the first colt to win the Triple Crown since 1978.

But these days things are simpler for Foothill High grad and former Bakersfield resident Steve Coburn, who is out of the game after selling his 30 percent share of the famous chestnut thoroughbred to Kentucky-based Taylor Made Stallions last summer for an undisclosed sum.

But Coburn, 62, is still watching his beloved Chrome from afar, and has no regrets, even after watching Chrome chalk up yet another dramatic win on Saturday, this time at the $10 million Dubai World Cup in the United Arab Emirates. The 1 -1/4-mile dirt track victory earned Chrome’s new co-owners, as well as longtime majority shareholder, Perry Martin $6 million.

His performance in the Dubai World Cup puts California Chrome firmly at the top of the world’s older male division on dirt, reported the Daily Racing Form.

“Watching from afar, he is still an incredible, amazing animal — everything we knew he would be,” Coburn said Tuesday from his home in Topaz Lake, Nev.

“It’s different now, but in our hearts he will always be our horse.”

Chrome finished second in last year's Dubai World Cup, earning $2 million for Coburn and Martin. This year, he didn’t miss a step after a slow start out of the gate.

On Saturday, the now 5-year-old thoroughbred broke from the post at 11th place in a field of 12, but soon moved up on the outside, bloodhorse.com reported. At one point jockey Victor Espinoza’s “athleticism was tested as California Chrome's saddle slipped far back past his barrel (mid-section), but the jockey maintained his balance, his brilliant chestnut mount unleashed a powerful burst exiting the last turn, and the duo left their rivals in the dust in the world's richest race,” wrote reporter Claire Novak.

With the sale by Coburn, Chrome’s already tenuous ties to Bakersfield may now seem stretched even thinner. But many in the southern San Joaquin Valley still think of the beautiful chestnut horse as a hometown hero, Coburn said. And that thought gives the sentimental former owner a warm feeling.

Coburn is neither a Saudi prince nor Kentucky horse racing royalty. He was a working man who retired only last May after laboring for years as a press operator for a company that makes magnetic strips.

Some years ago he took a chance that would change his life by parlaying a $9,000 investment into one of the most successful Triple Crown contenders in modern history. Because of his and his horse’s humble beginnings, Chrome was dubbed the “people's horse.”

And Coburn will never forget him.

“It wasn’t a ride, it was a journey, an incredible journey,” Coburn said of his years of involvement with California Chrome: the win at the Kentucky Derby, the victory at the Preakness — and yes, even the heartbreaking loss at Belmont.

“And it was all made possible by an amazing horse,” Coburn said.

“I don’t think there will ever be another California Chrome.”