Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM
Turf Paradise

Default Keeneland / Blue Grass

Considering making my first ever trip to Keeneland for Bluegrass weekend. Have never been and not familiar with the area at all. Have wanted to visit for a while...

Any recommendations on places to stay / must see places including food/drink spots? Probably would be a Thursday-Sunday trip with Friday/Satirday spent at the track.

Thank you!
Old 03-07-2016, 10:42 AM
Havre de Grace

Reload this Page Seeking advice for Keeneland trip

The search link above provides links to previous similar topics

http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/sho...ight=bluegrass

Blaise Pascal
Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 AM
Gulfstream Park

I would suggest getting up early one morning and have breakfast at the track kitchen on the backstretch. Very nice folks and you never know who you will see. Bobby Ussery was there the morning I went. Great photos all around there also. Keeneland is just an amazing place!
Old 03-09-2016, 10:03 PM
Randwyck

I'll be there this year and have went spring and fall for last 3-4 years. Keeneland is flat out awesome and you'll love it. I've stayed all over the place both la quintas, four points, doubletree, best western Georgetown and extended stay America..best was the doubletree or best western Georgetown..all others were adequate with extended stay being the worst but still acceptable. Do a distillery tour, Woodford, town branch are close..do the morning workouts...park up on the hill and preparty a little bit. As far as food..malones will be mentioned by everyone and its okay but I think there's better. If your up around my horse park fat cats has great pizza..red state BBQ is also great..closer to Lexington Saul good is a nice spot. If your into beer drink Some Kentucky bourbon barrel ale. Chicken salad is good at the track..mexican cantina also good..the popcorn sucks dont eat that.

ask away as far as questions and if you wanna have a beer on the hill on Saturday just pm me I'll give you my number and drop by. You'll have a blast..just pray for good weather cuz its the coldest place on earth if the weather sucks
Old 04-01-2016, 12:34 PM
Les Bois

I think you'll enjoy the trip. Keeneland can get very crowded on Saturday fyi. Definitely go in the morning at Keeneland. Tailgating is fun as well. Get a nice map and drive the back roads around Keeneland as it's beautiful Horse Country. Don't know about hotel availability, but Georgetown isn't far, and if it's all booked, check Northern Kentucky (just south of Cincinnati) as it's about an 80 minute drive. There's Equus Run Vinery close to Keeneland that's nice. Of course Bourbon, Woodford Reserve, Buffalo Trace, are not that far. If you didn't know, you can walk around the barn area at Keeneland, and that I think is awesome especially in the morning.
Old 04-01-2016, 12:37 PM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gate Dancer View Post
I would suggest getting up early one morning and have breakfast at the track kitchen on the backstretch. Very nice folks and you never know who you will see. Bobby Ussery was there the morning I went. Great photos all around there also. Keeneland is just an amazing place!
Eat before you see Ussery , 3 time winner of ugliest man in America contest
Old 04-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Les Bois

Oh and if you want to visit a farm, check out
http://www.visithorsecountry.com/
Their about $20. Unfortunately Coolmore is as expected sold out.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:41 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
Eat before you see Ussery , 3 time winner of ugliest man in America contest
..........Classic, yep I kept everything down.........