Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2022, 02:02 PM
Steve Byk

Default 7/23 (MTH): Haskell, UN (G1's), MTH Cup, Matchmaker, Molly Pitcher (G3's)

Haskell

1 – Cyberknife – Geroux 6/1
2 – Taiba – Mike Smith 7/5
3 – One Time Willard – Paco Lopez 30/1
4 – Howling Time – Talamo 10/1
5 – King of Hollywood – 30/1
6 – White Abarrio – Rosario 5/1
7 – Jack Christopher – Jose Ortiz 3/2
8 – Benevengo – Angel Rodriguez 20/1
Old 07-20-2022, 02:08 PM
Havre de Grace

How is Jack Christopher not morning line favorite?
Old 07-21-2022, 04:43 AM
Steve Byk

Old 07-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Keeneland

Geroux just took Mike Smith to school there. Nice horses. Good luck beating Jack Christopher in the Jerkens
Old 07-23-2022, 05:00 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Cyberknife with a nice win over Taiba. I thought Taiba was done going into the turn but he came back on and had every chance but got outrun down the lane. I guess Jack Christopher got exposed just a bit but I wouldn't toss him out with the trash just yet. I was disappointed in him today though.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 07-24-2022, 12:05 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I guess Jack Christopher got exposed just a bit but I wouldn't toss him out with the trash just yet. I was disappointed in him today though.
Big ask going in a Grade 1 in his first two-turn appearance. Back in the day a horse like that would have gone in the Dwyer (I realize its one-turn) or maybe the Long Branch as a stepping stone. But 6-8 weeks between starts has become the norm for the top level horses.

The interesting thing will be where Jack Christopher goes from here. I presume he will cutback to 7f for the Allen Jerkens. Will he follow Forestry and focus on sprints? Or will he follow Hard Spun and get in a Grade 1 before taking another crack at the classic division? I guess there's always the BC Undercard Mile, too. Unlike those 2, will he run as a 4yo despite Coolmore already having bought into the horse? Maybe just the Pegasus Faux Cup and done.

Meanwhile, I guess Taiba didn't like being on the inside otherwise have no clue how he went from being dead in the water to looking like he'd blow their doors off at the 1/8th pole.

The Derby also-rans have been quite productive compared to the top 4 or 5 finishers. Is Epicenter supposed to go in the Jim Dandy?
Old 07-24-2022, 08:08 AM
Keeneland

You know I watched the Haskell again this morning and for his first try at two turns, Jack Christopher ran much better than I originally thought.

I get why they will probably keep going one turn the rest of the year but he hardly disgraced himself.