Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
MY MAN!!! At long last someone who actually watches races reappears. I didn't bet the race, but I swear whenhe switched leads and took off like that I got goosebumps. One of the top 5 debuts I have seen in my life.
I didn't bet the race either. Watching, I was thinking how good the Lucas colt was running. Next instant, Quay put 5-6 quick lengths on him.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:23 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Maybe one of these guys or girls will end his 0 for 51 in triple crown races come May 2007. Hes overdue. Ahhh, all the 3/5 shots will be blooming at Saratoga in 5 weeks.
How people bet on 3/5 shot two year olds is a question I still haven't figured out.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by boldruler
The guy has 1 horse that costs more than most trainers top 2yr olds combined. The problem with racing horses this soon is that they are running distances that are completely useless in putting any foundation in a horse. What good does a 5F race do a horse. You might as well just breeze them 5F and let them come around for the fall.
I would guess that they put em in a race to see how they well they run with other horses. You can't always judge a horse by how they breeze. I would personally wait until later before debuting them, but I'm not the trainer.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:24 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Tim Scav gave bad info, its 0-23. Not 51.
I think the 51 came from how many horses he has ran, I think the 23 is from how many races he has been in...Not sure, will research
Old 06-15-2006, 01:27 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
I think the 51 came from how many horses he has ran, I think the 23 is from how many races he has been in...Not sure, will research
Grening and DRF said 21 before the belmont and quite frankly that sounds more realistic. hes only been training cince 1995 on his own and didnt start any in the Tri Crown races until 1997 I think. Many of those were horses that were very long prices that owners like Dogwood insisted he run.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Lemme know when you find it Scav, I don't really know which it is. I know what grening wrote in the DRf but whose to say hes right either?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:28 PM
Flaxen Mane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secretariat
did someone say..

can you catch the green monkey ?

Nah, he'll break his maiden against a dismal field, be declared the best of all time, then incur a phantom injury and it will be decided he is worth too much as a stud to race.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentToStud
I didn't bet the race either. Watching, I was thinking how good the Lucas colt was running. Next instant, Quay put 5-6 quick lengths on him.
Stud that was flat out scary. I couldnt believe what i saw, and that was no "speed pop" by a wickedly fast 2yo. Mom hitthe board in stakes at a mile and an eight and we all know what dad did. He was just starting to roll near the wire and he was geared down. Look at the replay and watch him after he switched leads, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And this is the charter member of the dont get excited about summer two year olds speaking. I'm usually the guy talking like Bolddruler is now, you know how impressive he had to be to get me to get that awed?
Old 06-15-2006, 01:37 PM
Saratoga

ok, if he started his first horse in the triple crown in 97, that would be 10 TC's since. thus 30 races. That is what the 0-23 is. So he has tried to win the a triple crown race 23 times, with 51 horses. The 0-51 is the amount of chances he has had. That one year he had four horses in the Derby, followed by three the next or something, that is where the 51 came from.....
Old 06-15-2006, 01:39 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Stud that was flat out scary. I couldnt believe what i saw, and that was no "speed pop" by a wickedly fast 2yo. Mom hitthe board in stakes at a mile and an eight and we all know what dad did. He was just starting to roll near the wire and he was geared down. Look at the replay and watch him after he switched leads, WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!
And this is the charter member of the dont get excited about summer two year olds speaking. I'm usually the guy talking like Bolddruler is now, you know how impressive he had to be to get me to get that awed?
Bet you get a great price (6-5 if lucky) on him in the Sanford, because you know that is where he is going.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:40 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
It is June. How many times did Bernardini race before last June? Who cares what happens until October at the earliest. If you are talking KY Derby in June of the 2yr old year, you have zero credibility.
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone WAS talking about the KY Derby. Oracle was talking about how these horses were going to do in the 2yo stakes races, not how they would do at 3.
Old 06-15-2006, 01:58 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I may be wrong but I don't think anyone WAS talking about the KY Derby. Oracle was talking about how these horses were going to do in the 2yo stakes races, not how they would do at 3.
I think it was his "Thats the kind of debut that gets people plotting a derby course in June of his 2yo year. Thast how good he was." that went a little overboard. I am sure plenty of people start thinking derby right after their 2yr old wins, but most derby horses aren't coming out of June races.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:01 PM
oracle80

Quote:
ok, if he started his first horse in the triple crown in 97, that would be 10 TC's since. thus 30 races. That is what the 0-23 is. So he has tried to win the a triple crown race 23 times, with 51 horses. The 0-51 is the amount of chances he has had. That one year he had four horses in the Derby, followed by three the next or something, that is where the 51 came from.....
Ok I got ya, I was thinking in terms of number of races hes tried in. I was doing the math in my head and since he was only training since 95 I knew that had to be impossible.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:04 PM
Santa Anita

I don't think it's wise to race 2 year olds early and often.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:05 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitas
I don't think it's wise to race 2 year olds early and often.
I don't think anyone does. People want some return on their money though and most rush these horses along.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:07 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I don't think anyone does. People want some return on their money though and most rush these horses along.
Yeah I know, he looked really unprepared for todays effort.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:08 PM
Del Mar

Grenig was right. Before the Belmont he had started a total number of 49 horses in 20 triple crown races. Now its 51 in 21 races.

We all know he'll have at least 10 wins by the time hes 50. Its all about strength in numbers.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:09 PM
Flaxen Mane

I'm not real keen on racing horses at 2, but ifyour horse is ready, you may as well strike while the irons hot.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:20 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Yeah I know, he looked really unprepared for todays effort.
Lets talk when it counts next year. Let's see how he holds up.
Old 06-15-2006, 02:22 PM
boldruler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Grenig was right. Before the Belmont he had started a total number of 49 horses in 20 triple crown races. Now its 51 in 21 races.

We all know he'll have at least 10 wins by the time hes 50. Its all about strength in numbers.
If he is lucky he will have 2 wins by 50.