Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by pba1817
I cant believe I just wasted 2 minutes reading this post....

Get over it, Polytrack is here to stay, its coming to all North American tracks eventually. Embrace it, or become extinct.
Do you work in management at a racetrack?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Churchill Downs

Actually, pgardn, the Thoroughbred originated from the Godolphin Arabian, the Byerley Turk, and the Darley Arabian. All Thoroughbreds (in fact all light or hot-blooded horses) today are descendants of Arabians, who have been bred through the ages to be desert animals. They ran on desert sand.

Last edited by kentuckyrosesinmay : 10-18-2006 at 04:45 PM.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
oracle80

Quote:
How anyone can complain about a $154k pick 4 payout is beyond me...
How many times did you have it genius?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
pgardn

Its kinda like I am getting the feeling you are saying God made these animals for our pleasure to watch run in an oval around a dirt track. That is... well, to be nice, more than silly. I understand people do not like change. And the industry may be jumping on the stuff too fast for what some people who dont like change are used to. I can understand that.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Do you work in management at a racetrack?

Of course not, but I am able to see the future of racing, and its all about Poly!!
Old 10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
How anyone can complain about a $154k pick 4 payout is beyond me...
Tickets like those are usually either hit by a large syndicate or someone who just plays numbers. I guess it's good if you want to get the Bingo crowd or a bunch of penny stock daytraders interested in the game.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Of course not, but I am able to see the future of racing, and its all about Poly!!
Well then i'm seeing the future you see and i'm seeing for sale signs at the smaller tracks.
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
How many times did you have it genius?

Zero of course, but at $154k I am very likely to concentrate my pick 4 playing there than I am at SA, BEL, or other tracks were they are lucky to hit $100
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

or the owner of the "nag" in question
Old 10-18-2006, 04:45 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Well then i'm seeing the future you see and i'm seeing for sale signs at the smaller tracks.

Thats a possibility, but I think things will be OK in the long run.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Actually, pgardn, the Thoroughbred originated from the Godolphin Arabian, the Byerley Turk, and the Darley Arabian. All Thoroughbreds, (in fact all light or hot-blooded horses) today are descendants of Arabians, who have been bred through the ages to be desert animals. They ran on desert sand.
Thank you Miss Roses, I know that. But the thoroughbred is not the only "breed" of horse. I think you understand what I am saying. SELECTIVE BREEDING to suit function. Not God's will. Look at the big draft animals. How many horses around before human beings were lugging around big sleds of lumber?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:46 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgardn
But we, human beings, have drastically changed the physique and biomechanics of these animals thru selective breeding. The same can be done for polytrack.
So, what if Storm Cats and A.P. Indys don't like it? Do we now stand them for $5K stud fee and weed then out of the Thoroughbred chain?

Why should we have to dillute and re-tool our breeding to tailor it to a new surface? It is going to screw up the legacy and classic bloodlines of our industrys greats - wrecking tradition after tradition and screwing with our history and heritage....

I strongly disagree with you....I don't want our breed to change - the same way as I don't want 5'5" 160-pound guys excelling in football if the NFL were to hypothetically change their surface of playing field from grass or artificial turf to playing on cotton pillows, would you?

Maybe Lemon Drops Kid will be the leading sire on that crap and Storm Cat will become an after-thought...do you really want that to happen?
Old 10-18-2006, 04:47 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Tickets like those are usually either hit by a large syndicate or someone who just plays numbers. I guess it's good if you want to get the Bingo crowd or a bunch of penny stock daytraders interested in the game.
Yeah, it will really help people out when thousands of guys play a pik-4, and there are two winning tickets sold. I won't play the stuff, plain and simple.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
Coach Pants

I have never missed the Saratoga meet as much as I do now.

I have never looked forward to the Churchill fall meet as much as I have now, regardless of the Breeders Cup.

Hollywood Park? Whooo if you think it's bad at Keeneland right now just wait until opening day out there.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:49 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSooner
God didn't create me to walk on concrete and asphalt either.. but I do.

We can also vote, can horses? Comon with that crap....you also don't have to hunt your pray in the widl either. You know humans don't apply to the rest....thats why we run the planet.....please don't compare humans in the same categories as other mammals, etc....
Old 10-18-2006, 04:50 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
So, what if Storm Cats and A.P. Indys don't like it? Do we now stand them for $5K stud fee and weed then out of the Thoroughbred chain?

Why should we have to dillute and re-tool our breeding to tailor it to a new surface? It is going to screw up the legacy and classic bloodlines of our industrys greats - wrecking tradition after tradition and screwing with our history and heritage....

I strongly disagree with you....I don't want our breed to change - the same way as I don't want 5'5" 160-pound guys excelling in football if the NFL were to hypothetically change their surface of playing field from grass or artificial turf to playing on cotton pillows, would you?

Maybe Lemon Drops Kid will be the leading sire on that crap and Storm Cat will become an after-thought...do you really want that to happen?
If anyone doesn't realize that this will have horrible impacts on the breeding industry, they are mistaken.
You crash the bloodstock market Pgard, and you will crash the whole game.
The reality is that the residual value is the only way you can win as an owner. You dilute the whole bloodstock market and crash the prices, you cansay goodbye to everyone but the Sheikhs and Coolmore. Noone else can afford to piss away money like that. Do you know how few yearlings purchased for over 100 grand ever earn themselves out BEFORE the additional expenses? Take away the hope on the back end, and you got nothing.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:

Sorry but as a fan of horse racing and a handicapper, I am not worried about the future of the breeding lines what so ever.

Unless you have some sort of financial interest in the breeding industry, you should'nt give a rats ass about the breeding side of it.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 PM
Randwyck

Quote:

how do you group them together in this context?? don't certain players excel on the artificial turf more so than on real grass.. come on!!! They've ruined the NFL.

sounds silly doesn't it.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:51 PM
oracle80

Quote:
I have never missed the Saratoga meet as much as I do now.

I have never looked forward to the Churchill fall meet as much as I have now, regardless of the Breeders Cup.

Hollywood Park? Whooo if you think it's bad at Keeneland right now just wait until opening day out there.
Dude, I'm with you 100%. I have sorely missed having Keeneland to follow wholeheartedly and play.
They can't open Churchill soon enough for me.
Old 10-18-2006, 04:52 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Retool? Dirt racing was retooling. Do you like dirt racing? Lets take it all back to grass. The biggest money races started on grass? What the hell is this Dirt stuff the Euro's say...

Lord.