Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsy
Joel, didn't you get chills yesterday? I honestly was very nervous before the race due to the condition of the track ; many good horses have failed to lift a hoof in the slop. I couldn't believe how easily he was winning - he was in a common gallop as soon as they turned for home. I guess his Beyer and speed fig # won't be good, but I'm sure even those guys that make the figs will understand that this is one time the #s don't tell the full story.

I have no desire to make predictions for his future because I just want to enjoy Bernardini now. I don't claim he's going to win the remainder of his races this year, or that he's going to be HOY or anything like that - that's a lot of "what ifs". Right now, I'm just thrilled.

I do believe that the Sheikhs will run him next year....there's some speculation that he would run under the Godolphin colors and possibly race in Europe. Boy, I hope not; it won't happen, but I'd prefer that he stay with Tom.
Darley is very focused on their US stallion operation. This horse is about as commercial as you can get. The chances he runs next year are very slim.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Joel, didn't you get chills yesterday? I honestly was very nervous before the race due to the condition of the track ; many good horses have failed to lift a hoof in the slop. I couldn't believe how easily he was winning - he was in a common gallop as soon as they turned for home. I guess his Beyer and speed fig # won't be good, but I'm sure even those guys that make the figs will understand that this is one time the #s don't tell the full story.

I have no desire to make predictions for his future because I just want to enjoy Bernardini now. I don't claim he's going to win the remainder of his races this year, or that he's going to be HOY or anything like that - that's a lot of "what ifs". Right now, I'm just thrilled.

I do believe that the Sheikhs will run him next year....there's some speculation that he would run under the Godolphin colors and possibly race in Europe. Boy, I hope not; it won't happen, but I'd prefer that he stay with Tom.
Yeah, I never get overly exited by isolated performances, but I did find myself overtaken by that effort just because I knew that if Javier actually started riding in the stretch that he would have won by 20-lengths.....It did give me shivers, but then again, this might be the best horse I've ever seen - and that is obviously saying alot...even from a younger fan like me...I am a historian and have studied and seen clips on the sports greatest performers, and I really think we are witnessing something special right now with this horse....he has very few weaknesses...

As a matter of fact, the main thing I would love to see from him is to see how he would react if another horse challenged him in the stretch - but he has never been challenged in the stretch to date...

I would bet anyone that he is a fighter....You can just tell his class by watching his manuerisms....I love this freaking horse

As for running him in Europe, I WOULD BE PISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He is NOT a turf horse and running him on the grass in Europe would be the biggest mistake that opperation could ever make.....I can't really see that happening..

However, if he wins the BC Classic or runs well in that race - I believe that it is pretty safe to say that they will freshen him and run him as a 4YO in the Dubai World Cup......Hell, its all those guys really care about anymore...winning their own super race...
Old 07-30-2006, 05:31 PM
Randwyck

Ironhorse, the Sheikhs have run Dubai Millenium and Street Cry as four year olds, so why wouldn't they want more fun with Bernardini? Heaven knows they don't need the immediate cash flow that comes from retiring a horse to stud..

Joel, it would piss me off if they sent him to Europe for a couple of reasons. First, he's bred for dirt mostly (although Indy has had some good turf runners) and second, this is what Darley has waited for for years - an American classic winner. They wanted success in the US and they have it; I imagine they are very proud of their horses. Why wouldn't they want Bernardini to (hopefully) clean up some of the most important stakes in the US? Also, I don't see why it's so important for Bernardini to prove himself over turf - if he becomes great on dirt, that's sufficient for me. I hope it's the same for the Sheikhs.

I think he would be a fighter, too, but we may not find out until he faces older horses. I've heard criticism of Bernardini because he's winning so easily......wow, that makes no sense. A really good horse will often win easily-why knock a horse for being talented? I have to admit that I favor all AP Indys; I'm biased, I admit it. That being said, this colt is so darn gorgeous and charismatic; I noticed in the Withers that he floats over the track. What a stride.

I'm just going to enjoy him for right now; no sense worrying about the future. He apparently came out of the Jim Dandy in good shape, which is the most important thing
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM
Sam Houston

Quote:
Ironhorse, the Sheikhs have run Dubai Millenium and Street Cry as four year olds, so why wouldn't they want more fun with Bernardini? Heaven knows they don't need the immediate cash flow that comes from retiring a horse to stud..

Joel, it would piss me off if they sent him to Europe for a couple of reasons. First, he's bred for dirt mostly (although Indy has had some good turf runners) and second, this is what Darley has waited for for years - an American classic winner. They wanted success in the US and they have it; I imagine they are very proud of their horses. Why wouldn't they want Bernardini to (hopefully) clean up some of the most important stakes in the US? Also, I don't see why it's so important for Bernardini to prove himself over turf - if he becomes great on dirt, that's sufficient for me. I hope it's the same for the Sheikhs.

I think he would be a fighter, too, but we may not find out until he faces older horses. I've heard criticism of Bernardini because he's winning so easily......wow, that makes no sense. A really good horse will often win easily-why knock a horse for being talented? I have to admit that I favor all AP Indys; I'm biased, I admit it. That being said, this colt is so darn gorgeous and charismatic; I noticed in the Withers that he floats over the track. What a stride.

I'm just going to enjoy him for right now; no sense worrying about the future. He apparently came out of the Jim Dandy in good shape, which is the most important thing
To answer your question. With all due respect to Dubai Millenium and Street Cry, neither was as accomplished as Bernardini as a 3 year old. The key to what I am saying is that Darley is focused on building their US stallion operation and Bernardini is very commercial. Much more so than Dubai Millenium or Street Cry. Having fun with him will more than likely take a back seat to building Darley. Especially, if he continues running the way he has.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:28 AM
Cunningham Racing

Here Oracle...I thought you'd want to read this agin to refresh tour memory since you claim that i just love these guys and have an agenda.....i called this in May and it is now happening and i am reporting it coming to fruition as it does....

BTW, what was going through your head when Bernardini urinated on your horse at the top of the stretch?

...that was unfair....it was like Mohammed Ali fighting Oscar De la Hoya....just two horses in two different classes...