Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-01-2007, 01:09 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELA
I had a great day -- a great week for that matter. The BC has a way of getting you charged up. Sure, the weather was bad, but I don't/didn't even think about that, nor would I dwell on it. I think Monmouth did a fantasic job and they will probably be in the running again in the future. They may move the dates a bit, or change some of the logistics, make it part of a larger meet, etc. That could all depend on where NJ racing is going vis a vis the Meadowlands, Monmouth, VLT's, and so on.

I've always enjoyed Monmouth, the facililty, racing, etc. and having the BC there was great. And, I got to see a super performance by the soon to be named Horse Of The Year. Hope everyone had a great day.

Eric
I agree with all stated above...and I didn't go there live for the races. I thought it was a great day of racing.

http://<b>http://www.facebook.com/pr...ef=profile</b>
Old 11-01-2007, 05:19 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

in comic book guy voice

"Worst Breeder's Cup ever"
Old 11-01-2007, 06:10 PM
Turf Paradise

Only been to four BC's myself but of course I love to watch when I am not able to get there. I kinda think that the BC should probably be held at CD every year.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:16 PM
Keeneland

I hated this year's BC just about as much as I hated last year's event. I'm so glad I didn't go... no way I would have been able to sit there and see George Washington go down like that covered in mud.

It didn't help that I didn't have a single winner either.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:18 PM
Flemington

I enjoyed it very much, how could you not? It is like the superbowl for horseracing fans. I had the chance to go and know I can not wait till it comes back to Belmont so I could go again.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:22 PM
Oriental Park

1. was it good to wager on - no, the weather sealed that fate
2. was there exceptional performances that will standout over time - I dont think so, Curlin certainly ran huge but I doubt 15 years from now anyone remembers it for more then a classic win, EC ran super but not sure he beat much once dylan thomas did not run. midnight lute ran pretty good, I might remember that.

I think those two questions go hand in hand with the BC. This one fell way short on 1 and mostly on 2. In fact it can be argued this BC did more to hurt racing then helped.
Old 11-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaTH716
I enjoyed it very much, how could you not? It is like the superbowl for horseracing fans. I had the chance to go and know I can not wait till it comes back to Belmont so I could go again.
I agree. It was a lot of fun to be able to be there in person. Yeah, the weather sucked & my selections were even worse, but it was still the Cup. In fact, the weather allowed you to get right up to the Paddock & the winner's circle this year. I even got to meet Steve & a couple other DT'ers...
Old 11-01-2007, 11:15 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man
Any other day of the year those horses would of sratched and never ran on a track like that. Had to be the worst day for the Breeders Cup races. In the future they will need a all weather track.
You Southern Californians are so spoiled by your weather; it was a sloppy track but I've seen horses race under far worse conditions than that. The trend toward some cancellations is a recent phenomenon.
Old 11-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Hollywood Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
You Southern Californians are so spoiled by your weather; it was a sloppy track but I've seen horses race under far worse conditions than that. The trend toward some cancellations is a recent phenomenon.
Where could you possibly have seen conditions that you consider "far worse" than that? If it wasn't the Breeders Cup there is a pretty good chance they would've cancelled racing altogether. To have standing water (puddles the size of small ponds)on the main track is one thing but on the turf course? I can't say I've ever seen anything like that in my 30 years of following the sport.
Old 11-02-2007, 09:44 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alysheba4
bottom 3 for myself, the track and turf conditions were a mess........the turf being the worst, that mule bob dylan looked like a bad 35k claimer from aqeduct.

Just one notch below a C cup.......
Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Santa Anita

It was a very average BC. There were no great upsets which was disappointing. It showed the best of the sport, and the worst of the sport, unfortunately.
Old 11-02-2007, 07:41 PM
Pimlico

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJP
We are a bit spoiled with good weather , but to prep for most of the year and have to run on a muddy/soupy track is terrible. A all weather track would of been the best of a bad situation for both horses and bettors.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:43 PM
Suffolk Downs

I kept hoping Tom Durkin would show up and save the day.....
Old 11-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Super Mod.. and Super Fly

Considering what a disaster it could have been (small track, terrible weather), it turned out to be very enjoyable. Certainly had much more fun last Saturday than I did freezing my extremities off in 35 degree weather at BEL in '05.
Old 11-03-2007, 06:36 PM
Suffolk Downs

Even though she did not win, I thought Octave ran a heck of a race....
Old 11-03-2007, 10:14 PM
Cahokia Downs

The weather in NJ made me think of 2002 at Arlington and all the whining and complaining about the cold. I would move that day up based upon conditions and fields we just saw. I think it was better attended, the turf was superb and you got a few prices on the day ( Valponi!)
Old 11-03-2007, 10:17 PM
Randwyck

Moving BC day, cancelling and going the next day, etc. -- while desirable -- it is just extremely difficult and not very feasible.

Sure, if conditions were truly dangerous, there would be no questions.

Eric
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardus
I preferred last Saturday's weather to last Sunday's weather, without question. I know that it rained early in the day -- I was there, and I drove to central New Jersey very early Saturday morning through a monsoon -- but after the rain ended, it was pleasant. I'd take light rain and 68 degrees to Belmont's 2005 weather every time, even though my seats were not under cover.

Sunday was bright, clear, and with the whipping wind, rather cold. It would have been parka weather last Sunday at Monmouth. I was there on Saturday in shorts.
LOL. A fine example of where you and I are from. You were in shorts and I had three layers on. I took it down to two layers when the sun came out.
Old 11-04-2007, 08:00 AM
Pimlico

The 10 cent superfecta hurt the larger payoffs in those pools.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:05 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Man
The 10 cent superfecta hurt the larger payoffs in those pools.
I see no evidence for that. The results were on the predictable side which is why there were no really large payouts.