Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 12-15-2007, 12:43 AM
Havre de Grace

My nomination is Pillow's visual response when BBB was giving us all a handicappinig lesson with brown paper and highlighters.
Old 12-15-2007, 12:05 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by miraja2
I think the thread of the year is this one:
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10951

This 11 page PG1985 thread is a classic. With contributions from all-time greats GRITS, Java Gold, kentuckyrosesinmay, and the man himself, PG1985.....this one is hard to top.
Although reading through it was a bit humbling (why did I like Notional so much?) it is still amusing. The topic is top 5 derby horses and the highlights include:

Java Gold: "Cobalt Blue...who cares about the rest...Java out."
PG1985: "i have a super sleeper, but i have no clue where he is ?"
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I will be very surprised in Street Sense is even in the starting gate."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old."
King Glorious: "Only two horses have a chance to win the Derby. The exacta will be Notional and Circular Quay. Haven't decided the order but they are sure to be 1-2."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Not all horses who are sore will walk sore. Bute hides a lot of things....That's why the people that I am associated with feel the horse's legs at the two year old sales."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I can tell an enourmous amount about a horse by watching videos of the horses without even being around them. It ties into why they make videos of the horses at the two year old sales."

All of these are just from the first 4 pages of this highly entertaining thread.
Notional would have won. I'm absolutely sure of it. Him being out messed up Circular Quay's chances. Horses are herd animals and those two needed each other.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 12-15-2007, 02:47 PM
Randwyck

Ah yes the study group scandal, were they not from like bowling green U? Then oracle was the one who was going to the dean of the sociology department and get them all kicked out of school. When that threat didn't work I believed he invoked the old(one night after class when your walking to your car one my guys is going to kneecap you) ahh good times on that board.
But i do believe the top 5 derby horse thread is by far the best.
Old 12-15-2007, 03:26 PM
pgardn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig
oh, don't get me wrong. i don't miss repent.

but yeah, someone who knew 'someone' broke that story. and hilarity ensued.
I miss repent.

His guilt associated with the hit on the aquarium fish of a political nemisis in his High SChool Young Democrat Club was hiliarious. He likened it to the Watergate break in.

He actually snuck into the garage of his political antagonist and turned the oxygen off in the fish tank while deftly avoiding high security. A planned fish assasination carried out with great care... but the guilt that followed was overwhelming for him.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Goodwood

My faves were back in the 90s on aol. not many of you here were there most likely, but one of the funniest things was when this dude, in real life, sent a whole shipment of hostess ho-ho's to this woman (who works in racing) in ky that had a weight problem.

two posts from this guy in san francisco were classic too. one was his comparison of excellent meeting to alydar, and the other was his example of philanthropy. he was proud of himself for giving a homeless guy his pizza crust when he was asked for money to buy a slice of pizza!

oh, another was when barry irwin threatened to get a restraining order against someone on those boards!

i suppose some of the early drugS posts were pretty outrageous too. he's much tamer now.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:13 PM
"The Kentucky Killing Machine"

MANY GOOD ONES NEVER MADE TO HISTORY AS THEY WERE DELETED...but for those that saw them they will forever be no 1.. satans twin..
Old 12-16-2007, 04:11 PM
Narragansett Park

I don't have any of them but many of the threads featuring the oh so wise oracle80 were classics. He could argue with himself to no end.
Old 12-16-2007, 04:14 PM
Arlington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
I don't have any of them but many of the threads featuring the oh so wise oracle80 were classics. He could argue with himself to no end.
anyone can argue with themself.

he could argue with a rock. and then arrange to have it pounded into sand.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:09 AM
5'8".. but all man!

My vote goes to the "Amy Ho" picture thread.

Sadly was deleted, but I laughed for days over that thread.

A classic Pillow job...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:21 AM
Arlington Park

Although I don't think it exists anymore, whichever thread contained the introduction of "Shouldapulledout"
was top notch.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Not enough Blockheadd mentions here, people.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:24 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Although I don't think it exists anymore, whichever thread contained the introduction of "Shouldapulledout"
was top notch.
I think that one qualifies as a finalist for funniest post ever. Also the infamous but now deleted Satans Twin post.

but thread of the year i think you nailed already, the top five derby horse thread. that one had it all.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 AM
Tropical Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
one mention is more than enough.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:45 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by slotdirt
Blockheadd aka Secretariat aka Batman...

Yuck. What a headcase that dude is.
Old 12-22-2007, 10:11 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
I think the thread of the year is this one:
http://www.derbytrail.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10951

This 11 page PG1985 thread is a classic. With contributions from all-time greats GRITS, Java Gold, kentuckyrosesinmay, and the man himself, PG1985.....this one is hard to top.
Although reading through it was a bit humbling (why did I like Notional so much?) it is still amusing. The topic is top 5 derby horses and the highlights include:

Java Gold: "Cobalt Blue...who cares about the rest...Java out."
PG1985: "i have a super sleeper, but i have no clue where he is ?"
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I will be very surprised in Street Sense is even in the starting gate."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Both horses aren't nearly as pretty moving as they were as two year olds. You can pick stuff like this out if you know what you are looking for. Both looked sore to me, especially Street Sense. He doesn't even look like the same horse because he hits the ground so quick now. Any Given Saturday also hits the ground a little quicker than he did as a two year old."
King Glorious: "Only two horses have a chance to win the Derby. The exacta will be Notional and Circular Quay. Haven't decided the order but they are sure to be 1-2."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "Not all horses who are sore will walk sore. Bute hides a lot of things....That's why the people that I am associated with feel the horse's legs at the two year old sales."
kentuckyrosesinmay: "I can tell an enourmous amount about a horse by watching videos of the horses without even being around them. It ties into why they make videos of the horses at the two year old sales."

All of these are just from the first 4 pages of this highly entertaining thread.
That thread was hilarious...