Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-12-2007, 10:35 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Of course every horse has an issue of some sort just as every athlete that competes in any sport has aches and pains. And the good horses have the same problems as the lesser horses. But what the issues are and how the trainer and horse deal with them varies greatly. Sumwonlovesyou is not without her little issues but they are far from major and she would be considered a sound horse. The one thing I learned a long time ago was that if you are going to have any success in most things in life you cant panic at the first sign of trouble. I have had horses run far worse then we did yesterday that came back and ran just fine. We know that she can compete at the 20 level on the dirt and poly. What we want to find out is what else she can do. We can always drop her in class or shorten her up.

Deil his Due was a freakin iron horse

nice post and i agree with what you say, if you start panicking and constantly second guessing it'll affect your performance. you took a shot a legitimate one yesterday and theres nothing wrong with that at all.........you dont know till you try. some people tho in this game as you know just get way too greedy!

a funny story in a way but not so funny for the horse. we gotta filly from some owners who we had to take to GLD just to break the horses N2L for a nickel. we had to twist their arm just to run her there to get them some money since she wasnt much. well she had no turf pedigree whatsoever but the owners insisted she did and the grass would move her up greatly so she was entered in a 25,000 n3l on the grass this fall here and she was eased and literally beaten 45+ lengths. we wanted to take her back up to gld to win her non 3 for a nickel insteada running in that spot, win it and find her a home to try and save the owners some money. well after the turf disaster we got her back up to gld for the non 3 and she finished 5th@4-5 and the owners got zilch insteada getting close to 4k which woulda payed 3 months of barn fee's for them
Old 04-12-2007, 10:43 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
Honestly I think she runs in the other division of the race and we have a very different outcome. No 22.64 opening quarter and no ground loss cause she would have been on the lead. Not saying she would have won the other division but she sure would have had a heck of a lot better chance.
agree, the other race ended up to be much softer. the opening fractions in the Sumwon race were swift.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:48 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
agree, the other race ended up to be much softer. the opening fractions in the Sumwon race were swift.
Dont forget that the other race was run right after the rain storm
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by disappearingdan_akaplaya
a funny story in a way but not so funny for the horse. we gotta filly from some owners who we had to take to GLD just to break the horses N2L for a nickel. we had to twist their arm just to run her there to get them some money since she wasnt much. well she had no turf pedigree whatsoever but the owners insisted she did and the grass would move her up greatly so she was entered in a 25,000 n3l on the grass this fall here and she was eased and literally beaten 45+ lengths. we wanted to take her back up to gld to win her non 3 for a nickel insteada running in that spot, win it and find her a home to try and save the owners some money. well after the turf disaster we got her back up to gld for the non 3 and she finished 5th@4-5 and the owners got zilch insteada getting close to 4k which woulda payed 3 months of barn fee's for them
Nice story, thanks for sharing it. But for every story you can tell about something like what you described, I can tell you two more about just the opposite happening. And put all together, they are stories that don't amount to a hill of beans about the placement of a horse. Some things work, other don't. You move on and try something else.

I don't have much patience for Monday Morning Quarterbacks or second guessers after the fact so I'll refrain from going down a road I shouldn't with you.....
Old 04-12-2007, 10:50 AM
Newmarket

Quote:
Dont forget that the other race was run right after the rain storm
I knew it rained, but no clue how much. It certainly could easily explain the difference in times.
Old 04-12-2007, 10:56 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlJim78
I knew it rained, but no clue how much. It certainly could easily explain the difference in times.
it surely slowed down the turf but how much is impossible to determine. 4 seconds does seem like a lot
Old 04-12-2007, 11:02 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
it surely slowed down the turf but how much is impossible to determine. 4 seconds does seem like a lot
Sumwon's race finished in 30.60. The 7th finished in 30.81. Tough to imagine the track slowed down too much considering that. I think it was mainly the slow early pace that accounted for the 4 second difference, maybe a second or so came from the weather.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:03 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevepopyak
Had a blast today guys. Steve and Chuck could not be more gracious and accomodating. Hope to get some pics posted tomorrow.
Steve! Tell your Steelers story <g>
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Sumwon's race finished in 30.60. The 7th finished in 30.81. Tough to imagine the track slowed down too much considering that. I think it was mainly the slow early pace that accounted for the 4 second difference, maybe a second or so came from the weather.
interesting. Thanks
Old 04-12-2007, 11:05 AM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Nice story, thanks for sharing it. But for every story you can tell about something like what you described, I can tell you two more about just the opposite happening. And put all together, they are stories that don't amount to a hill of beans about the placement of a horse. Some things work, other don't. You move on and try something else.

I don't have much patience for Monday Morning Quarterbacks or second guessers after the fact so I'll refrain from going down a road I shouldn't with you.....

nice story by you, thanks for sharing it!for every 2 you describe that do work i can tell you 20 that dont. LMFAO go down any road you choose with me. ive been a active owner for over the past 2 years straight, and was a owner of a horse a few years prior to. being in my late 20's id say owning 3 horses already isnt too bad considering its my own hard earned money that i invested.

i have no clue who you are so im interested in hearing some of your background in the game. by the way search through previous threads about the filly and read my initial thoughts when they purchased her before she ever set foot on the racetrack for the dee-tee partnership and maybe youll see im not playing"monday morning qb" as you say
Old 04-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:

i have no clue who you are so im interested in hearing some of your background in the game.
Send me a PM - I don't need to bore everyone with my personal history....
Old 04-12-2007, 11:44 AM
Goodwood

Quote:
nice story by you, thanks for sharing it!for every 2 you describe that do work i can tell you 20 that dont. LMFAO go down any road you choose with me. ive been a active owner for over the past 2 years straight, and was a owner of a horse a few years prior to. being in my late 20's id say owning 3 horses already isnt too bad considering its my own hard earned money that i invested.

i have no clue who you are so im interested in hearing some of your background in the game. by the way search through previous threads about the filly and read my initial thoughts when they purchased her before she ever set foot on the racetrack for the dee-tee partnership and maybe youll see im not playing"monday morning qb" as you say
You've made your point Playa. Over and over again.

I'll take Chuck's training experience over your "2 years straight" of ownership any time.

I've been an Owner for more than "2 years straight" and I know enough to trust Chuck and Steve to do what is right by the horse.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:46 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

I'll take Chuck's training experience over your "2 years straight" of ownership any time.

I've been an Owner for more than "2 years straight" and I know enough to trust Chuck and Steve to do what is right by the horse.
Well on top of that, I can't speak for the logic of the placement -- but were there lots of people around here who were playing her straight on top of their wagers yesterday? It's not like every person who capped the race didn't say that she was in over her head.

It was a surface switch, new trainer, new owners and it sounded like she had been training well -- so what's so effing wrong with what most people call "taking a shot," to see where she stands?
Old 04-12-2007, 11:51 AM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
1. Just hope she comes back OK.
2. Place her in an easier spot, maybe also a bit shorter
3. Have fun and don't start bickering amongst yourselves about what went wrong, because it didn't look like anything went wrong.
For those who missed it the first time around.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoroughbred Fan
For those who missed it the first time around.
The funny thing is there is no bickering among the owners. All the bickering is with non-owners who never got the concept in the first place that we want a horse to race so we can enjoy owning a horse and couldn't give a damn if we made a penny off it.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:59 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
The funny thing is there is no bickering among the owners. All the bickering is with non-owners who never got the concept in the first place that we want a horse to race so we can enjoy owning a horse and couldn't give a damn if we made a penny off it.
Well, don't generalize too much. It seems that the non-owners are the only ones who are disparaging the placement and criticizing anything.

But there are plenty of non-owners who completely understand what you're doing and are only bickering to try to get the other people to shut up and stop worrying so much about the fact that she ran last in a KEE ALW race.

I, for one, completely understand what you're doing and would be doing it too if I had the money when they needed it. I'm loving watching this go on -- so just don't lump all the non-owners into the group that are criticizing.

Please
Old 04-12-2007, 12:02 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Exactly, Sniper!!!! Thanks for that!!

Yesterday was great because I have a horse racing again. I put my money in because I can afford to lose it - but I couldn't afford not to miss the excitement generated by owning this horse.

I'm a happy camper today! And I think I might be even happier in two weeks since I'll be at Churchill on Sunday the 29th!!!! I'm already looking forward to her next race....
Old 04-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc

i was only stating that becuz the guy made it seem like i had no frame of reference and didnt have a clue about the game at all, people on here that have known me for 5+ years know my abilities and know im not just some raving lunatic but you know what FU*K it, im not gonna even bother anymore giving my opinion anymore or trying to help cuz no matter what i say im wrong in some peoples minds LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just wasted energy and i got my own that i own to worry about and others that i take care of also to put my energy towards insteada taking crap over this.

again i think every1 involved with the horse including the horse herself is in good hands with chuck but BIGSMC just cuz youve been around longer than someone on the racetrack doesnt mean you know more than them or are doing better. go down the backstretch and see how many trainers in their 50's and 60's aint gotta dime to their name, how many of em are still gyp's, see how many are under 10% for their careers and still cant get it right after all the years theyve been around etc etc etc, i see plenty everyday on the backside!

im not gonna comment about the horse anymore from here on out other than GOOD LUCK AND CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 04-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Gulfstream Park

i apologize for anyone i upset
Old 04-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Gulfstream Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwspencer
Well, don't generalize too much. It seems that the non-owners are the only ones who are disparaging the placement and criticizing anything.

But there are plenty of non-owners who completely understand what you're doing and are only bickering to try to get the other people to shut up and stop worrying so much about the fact that she ran last in a KEE ALW race.

I, for one, completely understand what you're doing and would be doing it too if I had the money when they needed it. I'm loving watching this go on -- so just don't lump all the non-owners into the group that are criticizing.

Please

who was really trying to bicker? becuz somebody states a opinion doesnt necessarily mean theyre criticizing. dont worry youre a saint in everyones eyes