Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Samm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
The JC has no designation in their database for nonracing, papered TB's. papers make him eleigible. If someone marks them before selling a horse and that horse fall into the "wrong hands" down the line the "wrong" person needs only to request new papers of the JC and presto! instant RACEhorse.
Sold without papers... so the JC won't issue new ones
Old 02-13-2007, 07:31 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm
That is what I said, as a horse owner. Someone here insinuated they could get new papers. Not true only the owner of record with the jockey club can get new papers. You can sell a horse without the appropriate Jockey Club notification if it is for hunting, leisure riding, etc....

The new owners can not get papers without your consent!
Old 02-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Dee Tee Stables

got my newest bloodhorse, and guess who they had an article about? cole. and shake you down is mentioned in there, as is a 'national radio show' that gave him a hard time. hmm, wonder who that could be?

i wish i could put my money where my mouth is, and claim the horse-guess i'll just have to whine about it as someone said above. but then, many of the threads on here could be construed by some as 'whining'. but then, vampires suck the life blood wherever they can...
Old 02-14-2007, 06:53 AM
Oaklawn

You can sell or give away a horse w/ no papers but many "post race" homes (not nessessarily in SYDs case) WANT papers. They want to have a verifyable record of who the horse is. Within the show/sporthorse realms, pedigree and papers have become very important.

I'd like the JC to honor the wishes of owners who want to sell or give away a horse with papers that the animal will never return to racing.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danzig188
got my newest bloodhorse, and guess who they had an article about? cole. and shake you down is mentioned in there, as is a 'national radio show' that gave him a hard time. hmm, wonder who that could be?
Well.. there's only one 'national radio show' about horse racing that I'm aware of, so I have an idea... Will have to ask the author of the piece, who I understand wasn't keen on doing it, about the specifics...
Old 02-14-2007, 09:12 AM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
Well.. there's only one 'national radio show' about horse racing that I'm aware of, so I have an idea... Will have to ask the author of the piece, who I understand wasn't keen on doing it, about the specifics...

i glanced thru the article a bit looking for mention of shake you down. can't believe that guy threw a hissie and really, truly thought he should get the top owner eclipse. he also is amused that some MD racing secretaries are sore at him for claiming horses and then taking them out of the area to run...reminds me of another owner who played this sort of game, wonder if gill is this guys hero or something? at any rate, i wasn't impressed from what i saw in there.
Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 AM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
no it isn't...there is another 'national show' on every saturday.

I realize that Haskin was talking about you but lets not lose sight of the facts.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:41 AM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm
Thats what I thought, a few years ago we got a beautiful black Thoroughbred from Bobby Frankel, he wouldn't release the papers to be sure the horse never ran again, too bad as he would have crossed beautifully with Warmblood mares, he went to a great home as a hunter and dressage prospect. As in all breeds if the horses are sold without papers, you can not simply ask for new ones, the owner on record has to have a transfer of ownership signed and dated.
Old 02-14-2007, 11:50 AM
Oaklawn

The point is that the papers make horses eligible for certain other registries. Mares w/TB papers are eligible for certain warmblood registries' main books etc. For many folks outside the racing world, those papers are important. They prove age, parentage and provide a history of the animal's whereabouts. The problem is that since the JC will replaced marked papers the only way to keep a horse away from racing is to destroy the papers. Trainers who are doing so are doing it for a good reason, yet they may be doing a disservice (indirectly) to the horse, or future owners.

If the JC would acknowledge the "NON RACING" designation (ie, honor the racing owner's wishes) then the horse could keep his or her papers and still never be able to race again.
Old 02-14-2007, 12:06 PM
Washington Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucon17
In the lastest Bloodhorse magezine there is a big article
about Robert L. Cole Jr.

He has a quote about Shake You Down

He says "All I know is that he will always have home when he is done racing, that I can asuure you. I already have a home picked out for him at Tim Salzman farm in Carrol County. We're not going to run him any cheaper than $14,000, and obviously, we're not going to send him out there if we feel he can't win or if we feel his health is compromised. But we don't feel that way now"
Check out his races racereplays.com and judge for yourself if he wants run any longer.

Shame
Old 02-14-2007, 12:59 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by paisjpq
no it isn't...there is another 'national show' on every saturday.

I realize that Haskin was talking about you but lets not lose sight of the facts.
yeah but no one listens to that show....at least they dont twice
Old 02-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Hawthorne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linny
The point is that the papers make horses eligible for certain other registries. Mares w/TB papers are eligible for certain warmblood registries' main books etc. For many folks outside the racing world, those papers are important. They prove age, parentage and provide a history of the animal's whereabouts. The problem is that since the JC will replaced marked papers the only way to keep a horse away from racing is to destroy the papers. Trainers who are doing so are doing it for a good reason, yet they may be doing a disservice (indirectly) to the horse, or future owners.

If the JC would acknowledge the "NON RACING" designation (ie, honor the racing owner's wishes) then the horse could keep his or her papers and still never be able to race again.
I completely agree with you, I breed dogs and on the registration papers they have a box the breeder can check if they don't want the dog to be bred, it doesn't prevent them from participating in other events or make them lose their pedigree, just prevent careless back yard breedings. The Jockey Club could just as easily have this option on their papers.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:47 AM
FairPlay

I agree that he should be retired, but where did any one get the idea that he belongs at the Kentucky Horse Park. They have a Hall of Champions and Shake You Down was never a champion. Was he ever a statebred champion? Absent some champion status, I see him more at Old Friends or Rerun than at the KY Horse Park.
Old 02-21-2007, 10:54 AM
Churchill Downs

just out of curiosity how did he run in that 4 and a half furlong race at ct for $7500 a few days ago?
Old 02-21-2007, 10:55 AM
Saratoga

Can someone post a link to that article regarding Cole getting pissed off, I would LOVE to read it...I might turn this into a mission regarding this jerkoff
Old 02-21-2007, 11:07 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERGEE
just out of curiosity how did he run in that 4 and a half furlong race at ct for $7500 a few days ago?
Charles Town canceled that night because of bad weather
Old 02-21-2007, 11:34 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
Can someone post a link to that article regarding Cole getting pissed off, I would LOVE to read it...I might turn this into a mission regarding this jerkoff
Scav is that bloodhorse article about Cole you are looking for
Old 02-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucon17
Scav is that bloodhorse article about Cole you are looking for
yeah, I am hoping someone has a link of Haskin mentioning it
Old 02-21-2007, 11:55 AM
Randwyck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scav
yeah, I am hoping someone has a link of Haskin mentioning it
The name of the article is called "Cole's Claims" and it's in Feb 10, 2007
Bloodhorse. Been searching online for it and I can't find it. Maybe you can
find it, if you don't maybe I can scan the article and PM it to you because
I got that issue of the Bloodhorse
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 AM
Ellis Park

$10,000 tag this time.

Shake You Down is entered to run on February 25, 2007 at CHARLES TOWN RACES & SLOTS

Race: 6 Distance: Four And One Half Furlongs Surface: Dirt Age: 9 Sex: Gelding
Race Type: Claiming Purse: $24000
Jockey: J. D. Acosta
Trainer: Scott A. Lake
Race conditions:FOR FOUR YEAR OLDS AND UPWARD. Weight, 121 lbs. Non-winners of a race since January 25 Allowed 3 lbs. A race since December 25 Allowed 5 lbs. Claiming Price $10,000, For Each $1,000 To $8,000 2 lbs. (Races where entered for $7,500 or less not considered).
Last Raced: 01/18/2007 at LAUREL PARK in Race 6
Finish Position: 5th
Last Reported Workouts:
12/22/2006-LAUREL PARK-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:80 Breezing 11/22/2006-BOWIE-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:80 Breezing 09/23/2006-BOWIE-Three Furlongs-Dirt Fast-37:60 Breezing