Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Stakes Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-07-2020, 05:51 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
McKinzie would need every bit of Baffert magic to be close to Omaha Beach IMO and Gift Box couldn’t warm him up.
All the speed figures I’ve looked at indicate that Omaha Beach is a notch below both of them.
Old 01-07-2020, 07:46 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
The guy is a polarizing figure, a jerk that pisses a community off and a guy who does wonderful things for the community. Who the heck would want to go to Saudi other than a trainer looking for a huge payday or guy who is still pissed his 16 claimer didn't win the derby
I don’t think it’s Servis looking for a big payday but maybe
Old 01-08-2020, 04:41 AM
Steve Byk

With Bravazo heading to Hot Springs for a campaign towards the Oaklawn H., they're down to these 11 assuming Magic Wand runs on the 'turf' which Horse Racing Ireland indicated Tuesday..

1. Omaha Beach
2. Higher Power
3. Mr Freeze
4. Roadster
5. Seeking the Soul
6. Spun to Run
7. Tax
8. Mucho Gusto
9. War Story
10. Diamond Oops
11. True Timber

Magic Wand

Last edited by Kasept : 01-08-2020 at 05:02 AM.
Old 01-08-2020, 02:14 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddymo View Post
The guy is a polarizing figure, a jerk that pisses a community off and a guy who does wonderful things for the community. Who the heck would want to go to Saudi other than a trainer looking for a huge payday or guy who is still pissed his 16 claimer didn't win the derby
Isn't it reasonable to guess that Coolmore, who just bought in, is playing a role in him going to the Saudi race?

It didn't sound like a breeding only deal, more like they bought a half interest, but I could be wrong.

As for West....polarizing jerk? I've never heard him described as a jerk. For that matter, polarizing either. What do you know that I don't? I don't know him at all.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:00 PM
Steve Byk

Gary & Mart West have channeled $223,000,000 into their foundation, so far..

West Health Foundation: https://www.westhealth.org/successful-aging/

Old 01-08-2020, 06:21 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post

That’s pretty impressive.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:23 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Isn't it reasonable to guess that Coolmore, who just bought in, is playing a role in him going to the Saudi race?

It didn't sound like a breeding only deal, more like they bought a half interest, but I could be wrong.

As for West....polarizing jerk? I've never heard him described as a jerk. For that matter, polarizing either. What do you know that I don't? I don't know him at all.
He definitely acted like a jerk in the days and weeks following the Derby.

I get it, but that was a bad look.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:26 PM
Keeneland

Quote:

What kind of tax break do you think they get for this?
Old 01-08-2020, 07:05 PM
Steve Byk

Quote:
What kind of tax break do you think they get for this?
Here's a website about foundation establishment and giving that provides insight to the social and personal benefits: https://www.foundationsource.com/lea...te-foundation/
Old 01-08-2020, 07:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Here's a website about foundation establishment and giving that provides insight to the social and personal benefits: https://www.foundationsource.com/lea...te-foundation/

It was rhetorical but I have a feeling you knew that
Old 01-10-2020, 07:41 AM
Sam Houston

Default Tom's Detat

Invited last year and runs and this year he wins the G1 Clark and doesn't get an invite....Explain that one.
Old 01-10-2020, 07:59 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchexNola View Post
Invited last year and runs and this year he wins the G1 Clark and doesn't get an invite....Explain that one.
He's not interested in running, thus an invite wasn't necessary. It's not like a 6YOs birthday party where everyone in the class gets invited. They essentially "invite" horses that are interested in coming. I'm sure if Tom's D'Etat was interested in running, he could have cracked that list of superstars.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:49 PM
Goodwood

Quote:

That's a giant number, I knew what their charity was but no idea of the scale. My father has written a lot of grant requests to them for elder care initiatives in NYS.

I don't know anything about the guy otherwise.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:06 AM
Steve Byk

Tenfold, Midcourt and Bodexpress added Sunday to the formal list of invitees.

Diamond Oops, True Timber and War Story moved up into the main body of the race.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:25 AM
Steve Byk

As of today..

1. Omaha Beach
2. Higher Power
3. Mr Freeze
4. Seeking the Soul
5. Spun to Run
6. Tax
7. War Story
8. Diamond Oops
9. True Timber
10. Tenfold
11. Midcourt
12. Bodexpress

And Turf as of today..

1. Arklow
2. Magic Wand
3. Henley's Joy
4. Next Shares
5. Sadler's Joy
6. Channel Cat
7. Instilled Regard
8. Mo Forza
9. Without Parole
10. Zulu Alpha
11. Sacred Life
12. Admission Office

New Reserve invitees: Synchrony, Tusk, American Tattoo.
Old 01-13-2020, 07:56 PM
Ellis Park

Default No Chad Brown in turf?

No Sister Charlie,Uni or Bricks and Morter?
Old 01-13-2020, 11:01 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Kind of easy to be charitable when you’re a billionaire, no? Not that it has anything to do with my post.

They’ve been VERY careful with him since the Derby, protecting him, running him in spots where he can’t lose (but did.)

I guess the fan in me would rather see them take on a legitimate contender than run in Saudi Arabia against no one, but I’m crazy that way.
Well, when I asked the question before “do fans deserve any consideration?”, you answered no. So why go questioning the motives of owners here?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-13-2020, 11:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
Well, when I asked the question before “do fans deserve any consideration?”, you answered no. So why go questioning the motives of owners here?
Dahoss doesn't need me to defend him, but you are twisting his comments. When did he demand they should run him somewhere because the "fan" in him wishes they would? He never denied fans have a right to wish for things.

But you knew all that.
Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Dahoss doesn't need me to defend him, but you are twisting his comments. When did he demand they should run him somewhere because the "fan" in him wishes they would? He never denied fans have a right to wish for things.

But you knew all that.
When did I demand it? I don’t have the right to demand it. I only said what I wished for and what I thought would be best for the sport from a fan’s perspective. I don’t see the difference here.
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-14-2020, 09:48 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
We’re talking about two different things.

Your desire for Bricks and Mortar to run in the Classic (on a surface he’d never run on and a surface his trainer didn’t think he could stand up on) and my opinion that the West’s/Servis are protecting Maximum Security by avoiding real competition on a track he’s 3 for 3 on are very different things.

It’s like the Zenyatta thing we discussed in that thread. I think the Moss’s did the sport a disservice protecting Zenyatta like they did but at the end of the day hard to argue with the results. IMO Maximum Security is being coddled, but it’s worked so far.