Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Santa Anita

Default York

Impressive win by Declaration Of War in the International! Happy for him. Didn't know he was up to that quality.

BC Classic now being considered. http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/raci...onal-1.1501208

Toronado was disappointing.
Old 08-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Saratoga

Will catch the replay later.

Can't wait for the Nunthorpe on Friday!

Shea Shea (3/1), Sole Power (4/1), Moviesta (5/1), Swiss Spirit (7/1), Slade Power (10/1), Tickled Pink (10/1), Kingsgate Native (12/1), Ladies Are Forever (16/1), York Glory (16/1), Kingsgate Choice (20/1), Rosdhu Queen (20/1), Spirit Quartz (25/1), Hamish McGonagall (33/1), Jwala (33/1), Bungle Inthejungle (50/1), Caledonia Lady (50/1), Borderlescott (66/1), Dinkum Diamond (66/1), Miss Lahar (66/1), Tiddliwinks (66/1),

KInda cool seeing so many repeat winners here!
Old 08-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Havre de Grace

am in York maine right now.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alabama Stakes View Post
am in York maine right now.
Well wherever you are today you really should check out the Nunthorpe tomorrow cause that is going to pay huge and sorry but I don't think Shea Shea wins (I really hate it when people say who won't win so excuse me it's just that I think his odds will be even lower, especially here, and it's an awfully nice and BIG field!).

On Toronado...

http://www.racingpost.com/news/live....617&category=0
Old 08-22-2013, 06:50 PM
Saratoga

Looking at this when I can and am starting to feel pretty good about Slade Power (not Sole Power). (Although I do like the horse!)

I think that behind Shea Shea and Sole Power, Moviesta, Swiss Spirit and Spirit Quartz will be next by race time (in terms off odds). Slade Power might go up to like 12/1? 15/1 (or maybe I have my head up my ass)?

Hamish McGonagall (who I hope has a sister named Minirva ) should go right to the front and hopefully Mr. Channons nice runner Bungle will not be riiiight behind (I like him).

Anyway yeah... Slade Power is who I'm looking at.

Good luck to my favorite horse in the race, the cool old man Borderlescott, and to the Kingsgates and to the Channon runners Bungle Inthejungle and Miss Lahar (who are both at 66/1 and will go higher I'd imagine).
Old 08-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Santa Anita

I really have no idea in the Nunthorpe! Amazing field.

Great to see The Fugue win the Yorkshire Oaks - second in it last year. And she won it so easily, too!
Old 08-22-2013, 07:13 PM
Saratoga

Yeah, that was awesome that she won!
Old 08-23-2013, 10:04 AM
Saratoga

Geez hope one of you had this!

POS # Horse Win
Place
Show

1 16 Jwala $168.40 $38.00 -
2 6 Shea Shea (Saf) - $2.20 -
3 8 Sole Power - $4.60 -

$1.00 Exacta 16-6 $437.60
$1.00 Trifecta 16-6-8 $2122.70

What a nice girl she is. She fractured an eye socket last out (poor thing)... I guess she's feeling better!

I have Maggie's Diamond in the 5th (currently at 19/1) and Masarah in the final (m/l is 20/1).

Good luck if you're playing!
Old 08-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Saratoga

Congrats to Pat as I'd imagine he had City Style... a horse I gave up on long ago.

He paid pretty nicely.
Old 08-24-2013, 10:49 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Geez hope one of you had this!

POS # Horse Win
Place
Show

1 16 Jwala $168.40 $38.00 -
2 6 Shea Shea (Saf) - $2.20 -
3 8 Sole Power - $4.60 -

$1.00 Exacta 16-6 $437.60
$1.00 Trifecta 16-6-8 $2122.70

What a nice girl she is. She fractured an eye socket last out (poor thing)... I guess she's feeling better!

I have Maggie's Diamond in the 5th (currently at 19/1) and Masarah in the final (m/l is 20/1).

Good luck if you're playing!
Finally caught up with this and saw the replay. Cool race! Really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard of Jwala, but recovering from such a nasty injury with a G1 win is a nice story. Love it.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:43 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
Finally caught up with this and saw the replay. Cool race! Really enjoyed it. I hadn't heard of Jwala, but recovering from such a nasty injury with a G1 win is a nice story. Love it.
... and to make it even better (!)...

Excerpt...

Steve Drowne back from depths with Nunthorpe win on Jwala at York

• Jockey's career almost wrecked by freak illness
• 40-1 winner expected to run in Abbaye and retire

This was the sixth Group One success of Drowne's career, which is half a dozen more than most jockeys can hope to record, but also the first of what is effectively his second career, following a year on the sidelines in 2012. It was a season when most of his regular employers moved on to new riders and the greatest frustration for Drowne was that for much of the time he was not fighting his way back to fitness but instead trying to slash his way through a jungle of red tape.

Drowne passed out in his garden in March 2012, and was initially diagnosed as having suffered a seizure. A later diagnosis – that a viral infection had interrupted the blood supply to his brain – followed a few weeks later but by then the DVLA had removed his driver's licence. Without a licence to drive, a jockey cannot be insured to ride and it took many months of effort, and the intervention of his local MP, before the DVLA relented.

"I spent five months getting a second opinion to be proved right," the 41-year-old Drowne said after his victory, "and then another five months arguing with the DVLA. It was so frustrating, because what I had would have kept me out for a fortnight, that's all, but because [of the initial, different diagnosis] it just took so many tests to overturn it.

"When I put my report into the DVLA, it took them five months just to look at it. If you miss a month, you miss maybe 30% of your horses when they run but, if you miss a year, you miss 100% of them. If any good people win on them, they'll keep the ride, so you're left with the ones that can't win. I've basically had to start again."

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/201...unthorpe-jwala
Old 08-25-2013, 04:20 PM
Santa Anita

Wow, amazing! That's really great, after all he's been through. So happy for him.