Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Trip Notes
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 11-07-2009, 06:37 PM
The Curragh

Default Jambalaya

Eddie Castro special today. Turned a perfect trip just behind the front runners, into a nightmare.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfer
Eddie Castro special today. Turned a perfect trip just behind the front runners, into a nightmare.
o BOY.... I needed him to hit a pick 3 and I thought he had NOTHING.
Old 11-07-2009, 07:10 PM
The Curragh

Watch it again, he was trapped most of the stretch, due to a completely indecisive ride by Castro.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:18 AM
Arlington Park

To be honest, I"m not sure how much horse Castro had to get through that hole in mid-stretch when the split developed, if he did have something to draw on he certainly didn't go for the hole with too much vigor.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Del Mar

I thought the worst ride in the race belonged to Lezcano on Grand Couterier. Why he felt the need to make that move while they were still on the backstretch is puzzling. If he stayed where he is and let the horse run as he always does (from far back), he would have won. Instead Expansion, whose jockey rode him perfectly closed strongly and got the win.
Old 11-09-2009, 10:56 AM
Havre de Grace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
I thought the worst ride in the race belonged to Lezcano on Grand Couterier. Why he felt the need to make that move while they were still on the backstretch is puzzling. If he stayed where he is and let the horse run as he always does (from far back), he would have won. Instead Expansion, whose jockey rode him perfectly closed strongly and got the win.
Well put, that was a very nice ride by Channing Hill. Maybe Expansion has new life in the Chad Brown barn?

NT
Old 11-09-2009, 11:12 AM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTamm1215
Well put, that was a very nice ride by Channing Hill. Maybe Expansion has new life in the Chad Brown barn?

NT
Hill is a pretty good rider and I have had uncanny luck with him the few times I needed him for nice tickets. His most noted successes have come with Mike Hushion. I believe he was on Fiddlers Afleet when he won that out of town stake back in early October.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
To be honest, I"m not sure how much horse Castro had to get through that hole in mid-stretch when the split developed, if he did have something to draw on he certainly didn't go for the hole with too much vigor.

This was my point, he seemed to have nothing.
Old 11-09-2009, 03:49 PM
Del Mar

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHardTen1985
This was my point, he seemed to have nothing.
Not to redboard, but I thought Jambalya was a horrible bet going 2nd time off that kind of layoff, having run a bang up race in his comeback. Horses seldom pair up races like that after that kind of layoff. No, I lost but I just at least had to get that in!

I strongly feel Grand Couterier would have won with his regular rider.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:14 AM
Arlington Park

I'll say this about him, his trainer is very protective about her star pupil. If he runs at Gulfstream this winter, I fully expect some big runs from him in the winter meet.
Old 11-11-2009, 09:04 PM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSC
I'll say this about him, his trainer is very protective about her star pupil. If he runs at Gulfstream this winter, I fully expect some big runs from him in the winter meet.
I agree.. This was just a bad spot second off a really long layoff, and he ran huge 1st off.
Old 11-14-2009, 04:56 AM
The Curragh

Just watched it again. Jambalaya sat a perfect trip up until the final turn. At that point, Castro had the opportunity to go 4 wide around Mr Universo, and get the jump on the closers. He decided to wait, hoping a lane would open up. It NEVER did. Whether or not he was a good bet before the race is certainly debatable. I do agree Lezcano's decision to move early with Grand Coutourier was questionable. I was against both GC and Operation Red Dawn, which left me with Jambalaya.