Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-23-2007, 05:28 PM
Santa Anita

Default Teofilo bandwagon

its starting up: Jim Bolger gives some more encouraging news regarding his amazing, unbeaten superstar...

from the racingpost:
M BOLGER on Monday gave every indication that his attempt at a Guineas double was back on track after Teofilo trotted for the first time since his highly publicised injury scare eight days ago that sent his Guineas odds rocketing.

Bolger said at a press conference in County Carlow that "the sky is the limit" for Teofilo, the champion colt with the swagger, and offered a formidable case in support of him overcoming his setback last week and winning the Stan James 2,000 Guineas - for which he is 11-4 favourite with the sponsors - ahead of a shot at the Vodafone Derby.

"I know from his work this year that his speed hasn't diminished and nor has his appetite for work," said Bolger, as he also gave a glowing update on his ante-post 1,000 Guineas favourite Finsceal Beo.

Earlier, Teofilo had trotted for the first time since developing soreness behind his off fore knee eight days ago. Bolger said the colt would canter on Wednesday, work at half-speed 24 hours later before working at the weekend.

He looked an awesome physical specimen even at the trot, if a little fresh, and afterwards Bolger did little to dampen enthusiasm in a colt who he said had six suitors eager to buy, and who would, as previously hinted, contest the Ladbrokes St Leger for the long-dormant Triple Crown if winning the Guineas and Vodafone Derby in June.

Bolger said he was sure that the lameness identified last week had not held up Teofilo's schedule, though he stopped short of saying he was confident it would not recur.

He added: "As previously stated he was not quitecomfortable at the trot on Monday evening so we decided to go the careful route and leave him swimming for a week and walking only.

"He's started back trotting and is moving very well and I'm totally satisfied, and was totally satisfied before the hiccup that he is ready to go. I'm totally happy with the amount of work we got into him in the pool. He is fit and ready to go.

"My only concern at this stage is that with a niggling injury that it might recur, or could be the start of something more serious, but with him the sky is the limit."

That niggle aside, Bolger looked and sounded as if he had already visualised a Guineas victory for Teofilo, although one certainty he did disclose was that the son of Galileo will retire this year,and will stand in Ireland as a stallion whoever is the purchaser.

"I'd be amazed if he didn't get a mile and a half and if everything goes well in his race (in the Guineas) I don't see any problem going a mile.

"Don't forget he's run five furlongs at Newmarket in soft ground in 57.99 seconds, so I can't see any problems."

Bolger added that he was "very impressed" with Major Cadeaux's win in the Greenham Stakes but thought Adagio "a little tardy to pick up" in winning the Craven Stakes.

Bolger's studied commentary turned even more sweet when asked about Finsceal Beo, ante-post favourite for the 1,000 Guineas.

"I didn't see any filly since last October that I'd want to buy, or train, more than Finsceal Beo," Bolger said of the Prix Marcel Boussac winner.

"It would appear there is less competition (in the Guineas) for the filly than for Teofilo. She has had no problems whatsoever, everything has gone very well."

Finsceal Beo galloped on Monday morning after a workout over six and a halffurlongs at Leopardstown racecourse the previous evening. She looked immensely well, moving Stan James to trim her Guineas odds to 7-4 (from 2s).

"Both are very alike," Bolger added. "They are both very sound, both need an above average amount of work. They are both terrific athletes and as regards confirmation Teofilo is a standout and the filly also, but she wouldn't have the swagger of Teofilo."

Bolger talked enthusiastically of Teofilo's three-parts brother, the two-year-old Via Galilei who "moves like a horse with a lot of potential", and also pinpointed relatively unheralded Many Colours as a future winner.

Looking ahead to what could be a momentous season, Bolger said: "The only time I get really excited is the all-Ireland hurling final when my county is involved. As regards racing, I like to steer a level path. I never get low nor too high."

#Grand
Old 04-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Santa Anita

and Bolger's reasons behind the scare last week.. from the racingpost as well:

TEOFILO'S injury scare was kept from the public through nothing more than the need for sleep, his trainer Jim Bolger sought to maintain on Monday.

"I wasn't running or hiding from anybody, except I was human and had succumbed to sleep," said Bolger, clearly feeling the need to set the record straight after learning of the collapse of the Guineas and Derby markets when reading the front page of last Tuesday's Racing Post.

He said: "I am absolutely interested that the sport of racing should be able to understand that we have to take a cautious route. I am not in the least bit concerned about what price the horse is but when it makes the front page of the Racing Post I need to set the record straight."
Bolger, speaking at a press conference in Carlow, outlined in great detail his schedule leading up to the discovery of the injury last Monday evening.

He said his schedule had been so hectic since the previous morning that tiredness consumed him when he was ready to return calls from the many journalists who had tried to reach him.

Bolger added: “I sat down and thought, 'I'll deal with those in a few minutes'. My wife was in Dublin, the dog was outside, and I fell asleep. That was about 5pm, and I woke up at 10.30pm, and by then it was too late to callanyone.”

#Grand
Old 04-23-2007, 11:10 PM
Ak-Sar-Ben

JIM BOLGER.

No wonder they like it hot....
Old 04-26-2007, 05:38 AM
Santa Anita

His workouts have been fine according to Setanta Sports:

Teofilo showed no signs of his recent problems when given a canter ahead of next week's Stan James 2000 Guineas.

The son of Galileo caused a furore in the ante-post market last week when concern grew for his welfare. The betting was suspended for several hours before Jim Bolger confirmed that he had suffered a slight soreness behind his off-fore knee.

He was restricted to walking and swimming for a few days but was reported to be back on course for the Guineas after a gentle workout on Monday.

Bolger put him through a full canter on Wednesday, which he came through with flying colours.

"Teofilo cantered Tuesday and again this morning (Wednesday)," Bolger told the Racing Post, "and all is fine. He moved very well and seemed very comfortable.

"We'll step things up a bit on Thursday and he'll work near, or at, the weekend.

"The plan is to give him his final but of work on Wednesday."

Teofilo heads the 38 horses still engaged in the 2000 Guineas following the latest forfeit stage and the Dewhurst Stakes winner is as low as 2-1 to land the Classic on Saturday week.

#Grand