Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-09-2022, 02:11 PM
Steve Byk

Arrow 2021 Eclipse Award Ballot & Discussion

My 2021 Eclipse Ballot

Horse of the Year: 1st - Knicks Go, 2nd - Letruska, 3rd - Essential Quality

Two-Year-Old Male: 1st - Corniche, 2nd - Pappacap, 3rd - Jack Christopher, Modern Games-Ire
Two-Year-Old Filly: 1st - Echo Zulu, 2nd - Twilight Gleaming, 3rd - Juju's Map, Pizza Bianca

Three-Year-Old Male: : 1st - Essential Quality, 2nd - Life Is Good, 3rd - Hot Rod Charlie, Medina Spirit
Three-Year-Old Filly: 1st - Malathaat, 2nd - Search Results, 3rd - Clairiere, Santa Barbara-Ire

Older Dirt Male: 1st - Knicks Go, 2nd - Maxfield, 3rd - Silver State, Mystic Guide
Older Dirt Female: 1st - Letruska, 2nd - Shedaresthedevil, 3rd - Marche Lorraine

Male Sprinter: 1st - Jackie's Warrior, 2nd - Aloha West, 3rd - Golden Pal, Flightline
Female Sprinter: 1st - Ce Ce, 2nd - Gamine, 3rd - Bell's the One, Santa Barbara

Male Turf Horse: 1st - Yibir, 2nd - Space Blues, 3rd - Smooth Like Strait, Domestic Spending
Female Turf Horse: 1st - War Like Goddess , 2nd - Loves Only You, 3rd - Shantisara, Santa Barbara

Steeplechase Horse: 1st - The Mean Queen, 2nd - Snap Decision, 3rd - Down Royal, Baltimore Bucko

Owner: 1st - Godolphin, 2nd - Klaravich Stables, 3rd - Juddmonte
Breeder: 1st - Godolphin, 2nd - Stonestreet, 3rd - Calumet Farm

Jockey: 1st - Joel Rosario, 2nd - Luis Saez, 3rd - Flavien Prat, Irad Ortiz, Jr.
Apprentice Jockey: 1st - Jessica Pyfer, 2nd - John Hiraldo, 3rd - Charlie Marquez

Trainer: 1st - Brad Cox, 2nd - Steve Asmussen, 3rd - Michael W. McCarthy, Chad Brown

Last edited by Kasept : 02-11-2022 at 05:20 AM.
Old 01-09-2022, 02:13 PM
Steve Byk

2021 PP's & Statistics

Eclipse candidates past performances (Updated December 29)

Statistics

Horses
Jockeys
Trainers
Owners
Breeders
Apprentice Jockeys
2021 Grade 1 Stakes Winners
Old 01-09-2022, 09:27 PM
Jerome Park

Serious question.....who is Pappacap?
Old 01-09-2022, 09:29 PM
Jerome Park

Wait....you don't have Domestic Spending 1-2-3? Did you fall and hit your head?
Old 01-09-2022, 09:54 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
Come on...that is easily the best named horse of 2021.

Can't wait for him to be a sire (and there's a good chance it will only be 6-10 months from now).
Old 01-10-2022, 05:15 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Wait....you don't have Domestic Spending 1-2-3? Did you fall and hit your head?
Was honestly a terrible division for these purposes. As I explain yearly, the top tab is the only one that matters. Would have put him first with win at Arlington because I'm hardly bowled over by Yibir. Then flip-flopped between Domestic Spending & Space Blues for 2nd. Was going to have Smooth Like Strait 3rd no matter what as an acknowledgement of his complete, high quality campaign.
Old 01-10-2022, 05:19 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
Old 01-10-2022, 09:28 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept View Post
Was honestly a terrible division for these purposes. As I explain yearly, the top tab is the only one that matters. Would have put him first with win at Arlington because I'm hardly bowled over by Yibir. Then flip-flopped between Domestic Spending & Space Blues for 2nd. Was going to have Smooth Like Strait 3rd no matter what as an acknowledgement of his complete, high quality campaign.
A "complete, high quality campaign" where he mostly lost. Let's be honest, you are showing favoritism towards Michael McCarthy. I have the greatest respect for him as well, but it's hard to place him third for top trainer, and you should own it.
Old 01-10-2022, 09:32 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Now I know why I didn't know who he was.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:50 AM
Steve Byk

Quote:
A "complete, high quality campaign" where he mostly lost. Let's be honest, you are showing favoritism towards Michael McCarthy. I have the greatest respect for him as well, but it's hard to place him third for top trainer, and you should own it.
That's a curious critique from the voice that rightly advises players to not be overly results-oriented. I frequently use the 3rd place slot to show appreciation for candidates that won't have the numbers of perennial finalists Brown, Asmussen, Cox, Pletcher & Baffert. McCarthy became apparent to me as worth a nod when I realized he'd landed Ce Ce and Smooth Like Strait on my ballot. I own it happily. And isn't the whole exercise about merit-based favoritism?
Old 01-10-2022, 01:39 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
That's a curious critique from the voice that rightly advises players to not be overly results-oriented. I frequently use the 3rd place slot to show appreciation for candidates that won't have the numbers of perennial finalists Brown, Asmussen, Cox, Pletcher & Baffert. McCarthy became apparent to me as worth a nod when I realized he'd landed Ce Ce and Smooth Like Strait on my ballot. I own it happily. And isn't the whole exercise about merit-based favoritism?
There is a giant difference between handicapping and deciding awards. Maybe you should have Hot Rod Charlie ahead of Essential Quality because he ran a better race in the Belmont. Was Life as Good deserving of top Sprinter over Jackie's Warrior? He ran a better race in the Allen Jerkens. Smooth Like Strait, he was far and away my biggest bet BC weekend, had an absolute dream setup in the BC Mile....and still lost, yet somehow you have him third best turf horse, over a multiple Grade 1 winner, who ran a huge race to dead heat in the Turf Classic on Derby Day, despite an impossible trip, crushed in the Manhattan in arguably the single best performance all year in that division, and then almost overcame absurd conditions at Arlington. Apparently none of that matters when you can reward Smooth Like Strait, a very nice horse with not a great deal of overall accomplishments in 2021. Don't compare this to being result oriented, because in Domestic Spending's case, you have a clearly superior horse with more actual accomplishments.
Old 01-10-2022, 02:24 PM
Longchamps

I’m not a big awards guy in any sport so really don’t weigh in much on this. However Domestic Spending is a nice horse but a horse only running 3 races in a whole year should not be on any ballot.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:01 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
I’m not a big awards guy in any sport so really don’t weigh in much on this. However Domestic Spending is a nice horse but a horse only running 3 races in a whole year should not be on any ballot.
So Yibir is out too I guess.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:09 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Here's something else....honestly, which performance was more impressive....Space Blues in the Mile or Domestic in EITHER the Turf Classic or Manhattan?

It's hard to argue against this year's Mile being historically weak AND the first two had dream trips. Steve, two of your top three in the division didn't even run the best race in the BC ( that would be Ivar since you seem to have forgotten ). Suddenly, I guess, you're being result oriented.
Old 01-10-2022, 03:59 PM
Longchamps

Quote:
So Yibir is out too I guess.
I don’t who should be there but at least the horse ran 8 times even though it was not all in US. To use basketball reference Jordan should have been mvp every year but if he only played half a season I wouldn’t vote for him. 3 races doesn’t deserve any award in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:21 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I don’t who should be there but at least the horse ran 8 times even though it was not all in US. To use basketball reference Jordan should have been mvp every year but if he only played half a season I wouldn’t vote for him. 3 races doesn’t deserve any award in my opinion.
If this were 20 years ago I’d agree with you. Abbreviated campaigns are a reality.

Where is your sweet spot on number of starts? Is 4 award worthy?

I haven’t put a whole lot of thought into it, but looking at what each of the finalists accomplished, Domestic Spending’s resume is as good as any in that division. He didn’t show up often, but he made it count when he did.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:39 PM
The Curragh

So if Domestic Spending is definitely top 3, shouldn’t Colonel Liam be discussed?
Old 01-10-2022, 07:49 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
So if Domestic Spending is definitely top 3, shouldn’t Colonel Liam be discussed?
No
Old 01-10-2022, 08:31 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44 View Post
If you definitely believe Domestic is number one, you might make an argument for Colonel Liam. I'm not one, as he was outrageously lucky when he dead heated Domestic and got drowned in the Manhattan when they both got fair trips. The Pegasus Turf has always been a dubious Grade 1. It's the Gulfstream Park Turf, which was always a questionable Grade 1, and beating Largent in a photo wasn't overly impressive. Having said that, however, he does have some credentials.

I get the Yibir support. I'm not a huge fan, but he's not a terrible choice. Space Blues? No thanks. Perfect trip in a dreadful BC Mile and it's not like he had a wildly impressive European campaign ( though better than Yibir did ). It's a flawed division, to say the least, and even Domestic is a shaky champion. It is fair to point out that he only ran three times, but I just think he did more in those three races than any others. How is Yibir winning an uncompetitive ungraded race at Belmont against overmatched horses good enough to make his BC win, against one good Euro who was essentially eased, more impressive than Domestic's three races? To me, it isn't...but I can't argue too strongly against it.

Taking a stand for Smooth Like Strait is indefensible in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2022, 11:01 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
I can understand this position but it goes against history. Many horses have been named champions off of only one race in this country. Many people forget that not only was Arazi named 2yo champion but he was also one of the three finalists for HOY in 1991 and that was with only one race in this country. People forget that Singspiel was voted champion turf horse in 1996 and never won a race in the United States. So with history to look back on, rewarding horses that only run here once is ok. I’ve always believed that the awards should come with more qualifying criteria, chief among them being number of starts in this country. But until that day comes, the ballots say that in order to be qualified, you only need one start in North America (unless it’s been changed and I’m unaware), and it makes it so subjective. Is it the “best” horse? Is it the most accomplished horse? Is it the horse that had the best and most complete season?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine