Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2021, 09:31 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
No, I don't believe that Life is Good had a championship campaign. But I do believe that he was by far the most talented and with no other candidate separating themselves in my book, I go with the most talented. If either Essential Quality or Medina's Spirit would have won the Classic, I would have picked that horse.
In what way is Life is Good the most talented 3yo? Because he can run the fastest 6 furlongs (of course Jackie's Warrior was equally as fast if not faster)? Because he's an uncontrollable run-off that has trouble running straight down the stretch? Because he has had the most soundness issues? Because he failed to start in a classic or any route race of consequence?

You have all these grandiose and nitpicky theories of how a horse is trained and what races are most important and yet it all goes out the window because a horse won some second tier races in sensational fashion.

Shouldn't Flightline be your 3yo champion?
Old 11-12-2021, 09:35 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Yes, that is his point but no, I don't agree that it's not worth considering. It's just as with any other sport. You train to peak for the biggest games, the championship level events. The Saints beat the Buccaneers twice in the regular season but Tampa didn't bring Brady there to be at his best for those games. They wanted to peak in the playoffs and when they played NO in the playoffs, Brady won. Maybe you guys believe that if one horse beats the other in the Swale and Holy Bull but then the other horse turns the tables in the Florida Derby and Kentucky Derby, that makes them level. I don't. The latter won the more important races and that carries more weight in my book. I don't think it's realistic to think all races are equal and they want to win all of them equally as bad. So since we all know some races are more important than others, I don't think it's silly to think that a trainer would have their horse more prepared for the more important races and I think that it means something when a horse is set to run their best and they lose when all others are set to run their best too.
For a guy who doesn’t view all races as equal you sure aren’t giving much credence to the Belmont, Jim Dandy and Travers. Which is odd because you seem to think the worst running of the Kelso of all time and the worst running of the BC Dirt Mile earned Life Is Good a championship.

Makes perfect sense. Almost as much sense as the football analogy.
Old 11-12-2021, 09:37 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by RolloTomasi View Post
In what way is Life is Good the most talented 3yo? Because he can run the fastest 6 furlongs (of course Jackie's Warrior was equally as fast if not faster)? Because he's an uncontrollable run-off that has trouble running straight down the stretch? Because he has had the most soundness issues? Because he failed to start in a classic or any route race of consequence?

You have all these grandiose and nitpicky theories of how a horse is trained and what races are most important and yet it all goes out the window because a horse won some second tier races in sensational fashion.

That’s what it all boils down to. The flashier the win, the more credit he gives it. Competition doesn’t matter. Race dynamics don’t matter. Just win by open lengths and you’ve earned a spot in his signature.
Old 11-13-2021, 06:01 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I was about to ask the same question.
Old 11-13-2021, 12:34 PM
Gulfstream Park

St Mark's Basilica or Baaeed
Old 11-13-2021, 01:52 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitan View Post
St Mark's Basilica or Baaeed
Old 01-08-2022, 08:50 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:

I don’t think Flightline should be the 3yo champion but I’d like to ask you if you think he is the best 3yo? Not best resume but best horse?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-09-2022, 12:14 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
I don’t think Flightline should be the 3yo champion but I’d like to ask you if you think he is the best 3yo? Not best resume but best horse?
Sprinters are always inferior to routers. Stamina is a key component of the classic Thoroughbred. That's why back in the days of logic and common sense there were no Grade 1 sprints except for maybe the Vosburgh.

That's not to say Flightline is a sprinter, but he has only run in sprints up to this point. And just because he is by Tapit or has won geared down in sprints that weren't even conducted like true sprints (more like team workouts) doesn't mean he is certain to stretch out with no problems.

On top of that his inexperience and lack of consistent racing makes him vulnerable in a route even if he is ultimately capable of it.

He might be no better than Rail Trip, who was a fine racehorse with a somewhat similar late-starting profile (until his career was needless de-Railed by his silly owner). I highly doubt he is as good as Formal Gold and certainly won't come close to emulating that one's 4yo campaign.

In this day and age, given the silly hype that has been showered on this horse and his connections, Flightline will be retired with a bullet if he happens to get beat like Formal Gold did in the 1996 Pennsylvania Derby or Rail Trip in the 2009 Mervyn LeRoy, even though it wasn't the end of the world for the latter two.

So let's hope he doesn't struggle in his next start if he happens to race before the Met Mile.
Old 01-09-2022, 01:53 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Sprinters are always inferior to routers. Stamina is a key component of the classic Thoroughbred. That's why back in the days of logic and common sense there were no Grade 1 sprints except for maybe the Vosburgh.

That's not to say Flightline is a sprinter, but he has only run in sprints up to this point. And just because he is by Tapit or has won geared down in sprints that weren't even conducted like true sprints (more like team workouts) doesn't mean he is certain to stretch out with no problems.

On top of that his inexperience and lack of consistent racing makes him vulnerable in a route even if he is ultimately capable of it.

He might be no better than Rail Trip, who was a fine racehorse with a somewhat similar late-starting profile (until his career was needless de-Railed by his silly owner). I highly doubt he is as good as Formal Gold and certainly won't come close to emulating that one's 4yo campaign.

In this day and age, given the silly hype that has been showered on this horse and his connections, Flightline will be retired with a bullet if he happens to get beat like Formal Gold did in the 1996 Pennsylvania Derby or Rail Trip in the 2009 Mervyn LeRoy, even though it wasn't the end of the world for the latter two.

So let's hope he doesn't struggle in his next start if he happens to race before the Met Mile.
So then you think Essential Quality is the best horse? Do you also think Hot Rod Charlie and Midnight Bourbon, Mandaloun, and Rombauer are all better horses than Life is Good and Flightline?
Manila, Java Gold, Alysheba, Sunday Silence, Go for Wand, In Excess, Paseana, Kotashaan, Holy Bull, Cigar, Alphabet Soup, Formal Gold, Skip Away, Artax, Tiznow, Point Given, Azeri, Candy Ride, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Curlin, Zenyatta, Zenyatta, Goldikova, Havre de Grace, Wise Dan, Wise Dan, California Chrome, American Pharoah, Arrogate, Gun Runner, Accelerate, Maximum Security, Gamine
Old 01-09-2022, 03:57 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
So then you think Essential Quality is the best horse? Do you also think Hot Rod Charlie and Midnight Bourbon, Mandaloun, and Rombauer are all better horses than Life is Good and Flightline?
Essential Quality was clearly the best 3yo in 2021 in terms of class, consistency, stamina, number of wins, and winning speed figures at classic distances. Also, one of only three top-rated dirt 3yos (the others: Medina Spirit and Hot Rod Charlie) that ran a full campaign.

Life is Good wasn't even the best 3yo sprinter of 2021.

Americanrevolution did more as a 3yo in 2021 than Flightline.

Hot Rod Charlie ran the fastest middle distance 3yo race in the PA Derby, but he tailed off miserably and is now being overraced and will probably be toast if he makes it to the summer especially if he ships internationally.

Midnight Bourbon was not a top 3yo; he might end up like stablemate Tenfold. Mandaloun is widely inconsistent; did not finish first in any race of consequence.

In a full field at a classic distance with both Flightline and Life is Good in the field (and none of that Ghostzapper-Roses in May gentlemen's BS agreement...), I would give an in-form Rombauer a close look...
Old 01-09-2022, 09:31 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
In a full field at a classic distance with both Flightline and Life is Good in the field (and none of that Ghostzapper-Roses in May gentlemen's BS agreement...), I would give an in-form Rombauer a close look...
So Rombauer's retirement doesn't deter you?
Old 01-09-2022, 09:50 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
So Rombauer's retirement doesn't deter you?
I "would have given" an in-form Rombauer a close look...

At any rate, that wasn't even the most nonsensical part of that sentence.

Like Flightline and Life is Good would ever be in the same race over a classic distance...

...or that there would be a full field in a major race for older horses.
Old 01-10-2022, 07:47 AM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I "would have given" an in-form Rombauer a close look...

At any rate, that wasn't even the most nonsensical part of that sentence.

Like Flightline and Life is Good would ever be in the same race over a classic distance...

...or that there would be a full field in a major race for older horses.
The latter being the most hilarious.