Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > The Paddock
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2022, 07:48 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Glorious View Post
I can understand this position but it goes against history. Many horses have been named champions off of only one race in this country. Many people forget that not only was Arazi named 2yo champion but he was also one of the three finalists for HOY in 1991 and that was with only one race in this country. People forget that Singspiel was voted champion turf horse in 1996 and never won a race in the United States. So with history to look back on, rewarding horses that only run here once is ok. I’ve always believed that the awards should come with more qualifying criteria, chief among them being number of starts in this country. But until that day comes, the ballots say that in order to be qualified, you only need one start in North America (unless it’s been changed and I’m unaware), and it makes it so subjective. Is it the “best” horse? Is it the most accomplished horse? Is it the horse that had the best and most complete season?
All I know is I wouldn’t vote for a horse that only ran 3 times in a year only wining twice. I dont have a vote so it doesn’t matter.
Old 01-11-2022, 09:24 AM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickslions2 View Post
All I know is I wouldn’t vote for a horse that only ran 3 times in a year only wining twice. I dont have a vote so it doesn’t matter.
None of it matters but it’s a fun discussion. We used to have lots of discussions here.

You’ve said 3 starts is too few…had Domestic Spending not gotten injured and ran in the Breeders Cup and ran a troubled 2nd would that have been enough? Just trying to figure out how many starts is enough.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:25 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dahoss View Post
You’ve said 3 starts is too few…had Domestic Spending not gotten injured and ran in the Breeders Cup and ran a troubled 2nd would that have been enough? Just trying to figure out how many starts is enough.
Ignoring number of 2021 starts, it seems reasonable to expect Domestic Spending, Colonel Liam, and Yibir as the 3 finalists (with United as an alternate, though CA no longer has any turf Grade 1s beyond a mile).

But with a minimum starts criteria the finalists should be:

Rockemperor, Gufo, and Two Emmys. Those 3 just beating out Japan and any English Channel horse of your choosing (Channel Maker, Bizzee Channel, or Spooky Channel).

Arklow would have made the cut if he had just one more also-ran performance...
Old 01-11-2022, 11:50 AM
Gulfstream Park

I can never forget Easy Goer/Sunday Silence 3yr old campaign. IMHO Easy Goer had the better body of work (just like EQ.) But SS beat EG more times. (just like Medina Spirit beat EQ, both times they raced against each other). And SS was voted champion. I would crown Medina Spirit Champion 3yr old.
Old 01-11-2022, 11:53 AM
Belmont Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATPIANO View Post
I can never forget Easy Goer/Sunday Silence 3yr old campaign. IMHO Easy Goer had the better body of work (just like EQ.) But SS beat EG more times. (just like Medina Spirit beat EQ, both times they raced against each other). And SS was voted champion. I would crown Medina Spirit Champion 3yr old.
Good point Whittingham was a notorious juicer. lol
Old 01-11-2022, 11:55 AM
Longchamps

Quote:
None of it matters but it’s a fun discussion. We used to have lots of discussions here.

Good question. I would like to have seen 4 or 5 total. Its hard to judge. I know horses dont run like the used to but to me 3 races with 1 win, 1 tie and a 2nd doesnt seem like the horse should win the award. Say 4 races with 3 wins and another solid showing or 5 races with three wins and I would feel better. I think the horse is really good but not deserving of an eclipse.
Old 01-13-2022, 12:11 PM
Keeneland

I just looked at Ed Derosa’s eclipse ballot.

Didn’t think it was possible to think he was more of a clown than I already did…but he proved me wrong!
Old 01-13-2022, 01:34 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I just looked at Ed Derosa’s eclipse ballot.

Didn’t think it was possible to think he was more of a clown than I already did…but he proved me wrong!
While mostly Ed just likes to get attention, other than Loves Only You, and the irresponsible abstaining, was he way off anywhere? Did he have Smooth Like Strait in his top three?
Old 01-13-2022, 01:50 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind View Post
While mostly Ed just likes to get attention, other than Loves Only You, and the irresponsible abstaining, was he way off anywhere? Did he have Smooth Like Strait in his top three?
No Jackie's Warrior?
Old 01-13-2022, 02:18 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
No Jackie's Warrior?
Oh, yeah, I forgot that. That was indefensible. He's just looking for attention. Whatever.
Old 01-15-2022, 11:57 AM
Steve Byk

2yo Male: Corniche (Baffert), Jack Christopher (C. Brown), Modern Games-Ire (Appleby)
2yo Filly: Echo Zulu (Asmussen), Juju's Map (Cox), Pizza Bianca (Pletcher)

3yo Male: Essential Quality (Cox), Life Is Good (Pletcher), Medina Spirit (Baffert)
3yo Filly: Clairiere (Asmussen), Malathaat (Pletcher), Santa Barbara-Ire (A. O'Brien)

Older Dirt Male: Knicks Go (Cox), Maxfield (Walsh), Mystic Guide (Stidham)
Older Dirt Female: Letruska (Gutierrez), Marche Lorraine-Jpn (Yahagi), Shedaresthedevil (Cox)

Male Sprinter: Aloha West (Catalano), Flightline (Sadler), Jackie's Warrior (Asmussen)
Female Sprinter: Bella Sofia (Rodriguez), Ce Ce (McCarthy), Gamine (Baffert)

Male Turf Horse: Domestic Spending-GB (C. Brown), Space Blues-Ire (Appleby), Yibir-GB (Appleby)
Female Turf Horse: Loves Only You-Jpn (Yahagi), Santa Barbara-Ire (A. O'Brien), War Like Goddess (Mott)

Steeplechase: Baltimore Bucko-GB (Brion), Snap Decision (Fisher), The Mean Queen-Ire (Brion)

Owner: Godolphin LLC, Juddmonte Farms Inc., Klaravich Stables Inc.
Breeder: Calumet Farm, Godolphin LLC, Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC

Jockey: Irad Ortiz, Jr., Flavien Prat, Joel Rosario
Apprentice Jockey: John Hiraldo, Charlie Marquez, Jessica Pyfer

Trainer: Steve Asmussen, Chad Brown, Brad Cox

Last edited by Kasept : 01-15-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 05:20 AM
Steve Byk

My 2021 Eclipse Ballot

Horse of the Year: 1st - Knicks Go, 2nd - Letruska, 3rd - Essential Quality

Two-Year-Old Male: 1st - Corniche, 2nd - Pappacap, 3rd - Jack Christopher, Modern Games-Ire
Two-Year-Old Filly: 1st - Echo Zulu, 2nd - Twilight Gleaming, 3rd - Juju's Map, Pizza Bianca

Three-Year-Old Male: : 1st - Essential Quality, 2nd - Life Is Good, 3rd - Hot Rod Charlie, Medina Spirit
Three-Year-Old Filly: 1st - Malathaat, 2nd - Search Results, 3rd - Clairiere, Santa Barbara-Ire

Older Dirt Male: 1st - Knicks Go, 2nd - Maxfield, 3rd - Silver State, Mystic Guide
Older Dirt Female: 1st - Letruska, 2nd - Shedaresthedevil, 3rd - Marche Lorraine

Male Sprinter: 1st - Jackie's Warrior, 2nd - Aloha West, 3rd - Golden Pal, Flightline
Female Sprinter: 1st - Ce Ce, 2nd - Gamine, 3rd - Bell's the One, Santa Barbara

Male Turf Horse: 1st - Yibir, 2nd - Space Blues, 3rd - Smooth Like Strait, Domestic Spending
Female Turf Horse: 1st - War Like Goddess , 2nd - Loves Only You, 3rd - Shantisara, Santa Barbara

Steeplechase Horse: 1st - The Mean Queen, 2nd - Snap Decision, 3rd - Down Royal, Baltimore Bucko

Owner: 1st - Godolphin, 2nd - Klaravich Stables, 3rd - Juddmonte
Breeder: 1st - Godolphin, 2nd - Stonestreet, 3rd - Calumet Farm

Jockey: 1st - Joel Rosario, 2nd - Luis Saez, 3rd - Flavien Prat, Irad Ortiz, Jr.
Apprentice Jockey: 1st - Jessica Pyfer, 2nd - John Hiraldo, 3rd - Charlie Marquez

Trainer: 1st - Brad Cox, 2nd - Steve Asmussen, 3rd - Michael W. McCarthy, Chad Brown

The First Place Voting

Horse of the Year (Name, First-Place Votes)– Knicks Go, 228; Letruska, 2; Loves Only You (JPN), 2; Essential Quality, 1; Lil Latigo, 1; Medina Spirit, 1.

Two-Year-Old Male – Corniche, 214; Jack Christopher, 12; Modern Games (IRE), 2; Tiz the Bomb, 2; Frosty Storm, 1; Gunite, 1; Voter Abstentions, 3.
Two-Year-Old Filly – Echo Zulu, 233; Baytown Valleygirl, 1; Twilight Gleaming (IRE), 1.

Three-Year-Old Male – Essential Quality, 131; Medina Spirit, 84; Life Is Good, 18; Hurricane Nation, 1; Hot Rod Charlie, 1.
Three-Year-Old Filly – Malathaat, 227; Going Global (IRE), 3; Shantisara (IRE), 2, Bella Sofia, 1; Eida's Storm, 1; Santa Barbara (IRE), 1.

Older Dirt Male – Knicks Go, 232; Maxfield, 2; Lil Latigo, 1.
Older Dirt Female – Letruska, 221; Marche Lorraine (JPN), 11; Damisela, 1; Gamine, 1; Monomoy Girl, 1.

Male Sprinter – Jackie's Warrior, 110; Aloha West, 50; Flightline, 33; Golden Pal, 19; Dr. Schivel, 18; Extravagant Kid, 1; Life Is Good, 1; Voter Abstentions, 3.
Female Sprinter – Ce Ce, 136; Gamine, 97; Bella Sofia, 1; Voter Abstention, 1.

Male Turf Horse – Yibir (GB), 135; Domestic Spending (GB), 33; Space Blues (IRE), 33; Golden Pal, 14; Colonel Liam; 11; Smooth Like Strait, 6; Town Cruise, 1; Voter Abstentions, 2.
Female Turf Horse – Loves Only You (JPN), 136; War Like Goddess, 70; Santa Barbara (IRE), 10; Going Global (IRE) 6; Althiqa (GB), 5; Shantisara (IRE), 2; Con Lima, 1; My Sister Nat (FR), 1; Regal Glory, 1; Voter Abstentions, 3.

Steeplechase Horse – The Mean Queen (IRE), 210; Snap Decision, 2; Voter Abstentions, 23.

Owner – Godolphin LLC, 216; Klaravich Stables LLC, 7; End Zone Athletics Inc, 2; Korea Racing Authority, 2; Gary Barber, 1; Calumet Farm, 1; LNJ Foxwoods, 1; St. George Stable LLC, 1; Voter Abstentions, 4.
Breeder – Godolphin LLC, 205; Calumet Farm, 8; Angie Moore, 7; Stonestreet Thoroughbred Holdings LLC, 6; Gail Rice, 3; Nick Alexander, 1; Fred W. Hertrich III and John Fielding, 1; Spendthrift Farm LLC, 1; Voter Abstentions, 3.

Jockey – Joel Rosario, 213; Irad Ortiz Jr., 17; Paco Lopez, 1; Flavien Prat, 1; Luis Saez, 1; Voter Abstentions, 2.
Apprentice Jockey – Jessica Pyfer, 156; John Hiraldo, 46; Charlie Marquez, 12; Voter Abstentions, 21.

Trainer – Brad Cox, 189; Steve Asmussen, 33; Charlie Appleby, 3; Bob Baffert, 2; Chad Brown, 2; Karl Broberg, 1; Michael McCarthy, 1; Todd Pletcher, 1. Voter Abstentions, 3.