Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > Contests > Call to the Post
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2020, 08:32 PM
Oriental Park

Default Venue for February 1 - Gulfstream Park

As we move into February, the Derby prep season gets more and more active. This Saturday will offer the Withers at AQ, the Robert B. Lewis at SA and the Holy Bull at GP. While it is still early and entries aren't available, I'm inclined at this point to keep our contest journey at Gulfstream Park for the Holy Bull and the rest of a quality card.

DRF provided the following description: "The Holy Bull and the $150,000 Swale are among five stakes, all for 3-year-olds, to be run on another busy Saturday at Gulfstream. The others are the filly counterpart to the Swale, the $150,000 Forward Gal, along with the $100,000 Dania Beach and $100,000 Sweetest Chant, both at a mile on turf. All but the ungraded Dania Beach are Grade 3 races."

Just wanted to let you know which way I'm leaning. I'll post the actual race card once entries are out, probably late Wednesday afternoon.

Last edited by JolyB : 01-29-2020 at 07:07 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 09:38 PM
Oriental Park

Whats the weather forecast there in the NE for the weekend?
Old 01-27-2020, 10:20 PM
Havre de Grace

I was wondering how we did this particular weekend last year with the possibility of 3 different venues, but couldn't remember. I have trouble remembering what I did last week let alone last year. Went back and looked and we did the same thing. We went to GP. I have no problem with that even though GP wasn't too kind to me last weekend, can't blame the track. It was just poor handicapping on my part. Maybe I will do better this time.
Old 01-28-2020, 07:25 AM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonGuido View Post
Whats the weather forecast there in the NE for the weekend?
Don, right now the weather in NE is tranquil - no precip and cool, but not frigidly cold. Of course, we are all familiar with the Mark Twain quote about New England weather, "if you don't like it, wait 5 minutes and it will change." It appears that the calm pattern will change this weekend, but exactly when and to what is still an open question. It sounds as if there will be a mixture of rain changing over to snow sometime on Saturday, probably starting late Saturday afternoon and continuing overnight. We are a bit too far out to get an accurate fix on what to expect. As you probably recall, this time of year it only takes a burst of colder air from Canada to convert a rainy day into a major snowmaker.

If your question concerns the Withers at AQ, I don't think that the Saturday card is in any jeopardy.
Old 01-28-2020, 10:17 AM
The Curragh

THE CAT MEOWS
“BULL “ IS MY VOTE
HOLY OR UNHOLY IS PURRRRRFECT

AKA = GULFSTREAM PARK

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 01-29-2020, 07:12 PM
Oriental Park

Entries have been drawn. Let's go to Gulfstream Park for Holy Bull day.

While there is a 12 race card, I'd like to limit our contest to only Races 3 through 12. That will include all of the stakes races but will omit a $6,250 claimer and a 6 furlong sprint for 3 year old maidens. I think that the 10 contest races should suffice.

Scheduled post time for Race 3 is 1:04 PM Eastern time.

Hope to see you all there.