Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Main Forum > International Racing
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-11-2011, 01:58 AM
Santa Anita

There were reports of an 8.9 magnitude earthquake and a tsunami in Japan. Obviously the priority is to save lives, bury the dead, remain safe during aftershocks, and repair the damage. If, when we have an opportunity to get a better handle on the situation, there's any information about Japanese racetracks or horse farms that anybody hears about, please pass it on. It sounds as if the Miyagi prefecture took a bit hit from the wave. From my brief efforts to google, there is not a racetrack there. Tokyo does have one, and I heard 4 million are without power there.

I believe a lot of stud farms are in Hokkaido. It's an island on the northeastern point of Japan. I haven't heard whether there is damage there, but they did receive a tsunami warning.
Old 03-11-2011, 03:54 AM
Santa Anita

8.9 is absolutely horrific. I've already seen some terrible footage of the tsunami damage.

There's not much you can say at the moment. NZ has been through its own earthquake tragedy this year, but this looks even worse. Struggling to find words.
Old 03-11-2011, 04:01 AM
Santa Anita

I'm just staring at the television and the internet feeds in horror. The devastating visuals are so hard to process. You see people on tv as they replay footage of the tsunami, and I can't imagine they're still alive. It's not just water rushing at them, it's the debris that the water is carrying. The tsunami warnings are being extended. Taiwan's just gotten a wave. The western US is now on warning. Prayers for everyone involved. So many injured, dead, and awaiting news of evacuation. More than 50 countries are on alert.

Update: They're now reporting there were tsunami waves as far as Hokkaido. I would imagine that's less populated, but again, the horse farms. They probably aren't near the beaches, but I don't know the area very well. Who knows where the workers live. I hope they're okay.
Old 03-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Fairgrounds

Japan cancels weekend racing after quake, tsunami

Japan’s breeding industry appears unscathed by disaster
Old 03-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Fairgrounds

http://www.thoroughbredtimes.com/rac...ima-meets.aspx
Old 03-22-2011, 12:14 PM
Saratoga

The Takamatsunomiya Kinen will be run at Hanshin Racecourse this year but that was alreeady planned as Chukyo is being rennovated. Beside Hanshin, Kokura Racecourse is open.

I feel bad listing pp's and stuff with all that's going on over there but here they are anyway...

http://japanracing.jp/_news2011/pdf/110317.pdf

Nice field. I've done nothing more than to look at names but see no reason why Kinshasa no Kiseki can't repeat here. (Here's hoping A Shin Forward does well too).
Old 03-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Santa Anita

I'm still kind of overwhelmed by the World Cup result. So perfect. I hope it brought a smile to the faces of racing fans throughout Japan.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:53 PM
Saratoga

Agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
/110317.pdf[/url]
Nice field. I've done nothing more than to look at names but see no reason why Kinshasa no Kiseki can't repeat here. (Here's hoping A Shin Forward does well too).
Well he won and am kinda surprised that he was 3rd chouce in the betting (?).

I hope Western Venus is okay. Haven't watched the replay yet... maybe i wont bother.

THE 41ST TAKAMATSUNOMIYA KINEN (G1)

1 2 4 Kinshasa no Kiseki(AUS) H8 57 Fuji KisekiKeltshaan U. Rispoli
N. Hori Kazumi Yoshida
Arrowleave Joint Venture 1:07.9
(34.0) 4.5
(3)
2 4 8 San Carlo(JPN) H5 57 Symboli Kris SDiva Y. Yoshida
Y. Okubo Shadai Race H.
Shadai Corporation Inc. 1-1/4
(33.3) 10.5
(4)
3 3 6 Urbanity(JPN) H7 57 Manhattan CafeLegacy of Strength H. Shii
M. Koga Shadai Race H.
Shadai Farm Head
(33.6) 86.8
(11)
4 6 12 B B Guldan(JPN) H7 57 Chief BearhartAll the Chat T. Sato
M. Ryoke Bando B.
Bando Bokujo Neck+Head
(33.7) 71.4
(10)
5 1 1 Red Spada(JPN) H5 57 Taiki ShuttleBarbicat N. Yokoyama
K. Fujisawa TokyoHorseRacingCo. Ltd
Shimokobe Farm 1-1/2
(34.5) 10.9
(5)
6 1 2 Shonan Alba(JPN) H6 57 War EmblemXianlang M. Ebina
Y. Ninomiya Tetsuhide Kunimoto
Kuwata Bokujo 1/2
(33.7) 125.1
(13)
7 4 7 Spring Song(JPN) H6 57 Sakura Bakushin OSpring Ticket K. Ikezoe
A. Tsurudome Teruya Yoshida
Shadai Farm Neck
(33.4) 30.7
(8)
8 6 11B Symboli Gran(IRE) H9 57 Grand LodgeValixa H. Kitamura
Y. Hatakeyama Symboli Stud
Takahiro Wada 1/2
(33.7) 293.6
(15)
9 7 14 A Shin Forward(USA) H6 57 Forest WildcatWake Up Kiss Y. Iwata
M. Nishizono Eishindo Co. Ltd.
Edition Farm 1/2
(34.0) 12.7
(6)
10 3 5 Jo Cappuccino(JPN) H5 57 Manhattan CafeJo Psykhe K. Fujioka
K. Nakatake K.Ueda
Keiko Ueda 1-1/2
(34.7) 2.8
(1)
11 7 13 Dasher Go Go(JPN) C4 57 Sakura Bakushin ONegano Y. Kawada
T. Yasuda Shin Ashida
Shimokobe Farm DQ&D
(34.5) 4.3
(2)
12 5 9 Headliner(JPN) G7 57 Sakura Bakushin OHebba H. Miyuki
M. Nishizono Shadai Race H.
Shadai Corporation Inc. 1
(35.5) 218.2
(14)
13 2 3 Sandalphon(JPN) H8 57 Sakura Bakushin OKoyu Love Y. Take
M. Matsunaga North Hills Co. Ltd.
Kenji Takimoto Neck
(33.8) 86.9
(12)
14 5 10 Summer Wind(JPN) H6 57 Taiki ShuttleShin Wind Y. Fukunaga
Y. Shono K.Hidaka Breeders Union
Makimoto Bokujo Neck
(34.5) 34.8
(9)
15 8 15 One Carat(JPN) M5 55 FalbravBaldwina Y. Fujioka
K. Fujioka Yoichi Aoyama
Shadai Farm 2-1/2
(35.6) 17.7
(7)
FF 8 16B Western Venus(JPN) M8 55 Boston HarborWestern Sharp Y. Shibata
Y. Suzuki Ken Nishikawa
Ken Nishikawa - 422.7
(16)

http://japanracing.jp/_news2011/110327-03.html
Old 04-01-2011, 12:05 PM
Saratoga

Ugh this sucks.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...international/
Old 05-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Saratoga

PP's for The Victoria Mile (Saturday night) which has a crazy good field...

http://japanracing.jp/_news2011/pdf/110506.pdf
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 PM
Saratoga

Good luck to anyone playing the Derby tonight.

PPs...

http://japanracing.jp/_news2011/pdf/110518.pdf

I kinda like Tosen Reve and Win Variation who should be at pretty decent odds (Northern River for a huge longshot) and think I'll use them both on top.

Not seeing Orfevre or the Sheikhs horse, Debonair, winning here.

Come home safe everyone.
Old 05-29-2011, 02:48 AM
Saratoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by my miss storm cat View Post
Not seeing Orfevre or the Sheikhs horse, Debonair, winning here.
Oh shut up.
Old 05-31-2011, 12:26 PM
Saratoga

On the HONG KONG RAIDERS...

Training Report of Foreign Entrees
61st Running of the Yasuda Kinen (G1)
May 31, 2011 (Tuesday)

Tokyo Race Course
Weather: Cloudy Going: Sloppy (dirt course)

Beauty FlashBEAUTY FLASH (NZ, G6, chestnut)

- jogged 1/4 lap, cantered 1 lap and walked on dirt course
(exercised from 7:38 AM to 7:48 AM, ridden by Kin Wai Cheung)

"His training this morning went well and he is in good shape. Compared to last year, he's more mature and has gained more muscles, which is why he is bigger and heavier this year."

(comments taken from Kin Wai Cheung)

Thumbs UpTHUMBS UP (NZ, G7, bay)

- jogged 1/4 lap, cantered 1 lap and walked on dirt course
(exercised from 7:36 AM to 7:49 AM, ridden by Dale Bussey)

"I saw the horse for the first time in Japan today and he looks good. I'm happy with him. Tomorrow, he's going to go 1,200m, finishing strong last half a mile. This season has been a bit frustrating by means that he's pretty one-dimensional in the sense that he needs speed in his races, which he has not been getting in Hong Kong. He's always reeled off either the fastest or the second fastest in the last quarter in his races—he's got a very good finishing time. But all he needs is pace and hopefully he'll get that here in the Yasuda Kinen. He's a good closer. I'm not worried about the left-handed course, and as long as it's not a real heavy track, he'll handle the wet surface—no problem. He's got big feet and he has handled it in the past."

(comments taken from Caspar Fownes)
Old 06-01-2011, 02:14 PM
Saratoga

June 1, 2011
June 1, 2011 (Wednesday)

Tokyo Race Course

Weather: Cloudy Firm (turf course), Standard (dirt course)

- jogged 1/4 lap, cantered 1 lap and jogged (dirt course)
(exercised from 7:30 AM to 7:40 AM, ridden by Kin Wai Cheung)

"The horse was very relaxed this morning and I'm very pleased with him. Our trainer Anthony Cruz will be here tomorrow morning to see him do a 400m dash after starting from the gate on the turf course. Since it's his second time here, we're not worried about him running the left-handed course."

(comments taken from Kin Wai Cheung)

Thumbs UpTHUMBS UP (NZ, G7, bay)

jogged, cantered and galloped from 1,200m out, stronger on stretch (turf course)
(exercised from 6:31 AM to 6:40 AM, ridden by Dale Bussey)
[fractional time] 6F (79.2 – 64.7 – 50.0 – 35.8 – 11.7)

"Obviously he missed some work in the quarantine, so we gave him a nice bit of work this morning. He's had a nice bit of a blow there, so we hope that it'll bring him on even more, and we're happy with him.
There are no worries about the grass, he's handled it very well. He's just a little bit lazy by himself but I'm happy with the fractional time I've been shown. He'll do some light work on the dirt tomorrow. "

(comments taken from Caspar Fownes)
Old 06-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Saratoga

The barrier draw...

http://japanracing.jp/_news2011/110603.html

Perfect for both boys from HK.

You know I'm a little surprised to see Jo Cappuccino here but I'm a fan and I wish him well as well as Reach the Crown, A Shin Forward and Apapane.

Not posting any pick yet but Danon Yoyo is awfully good.

I really do think the HK runners are very strong.

We'll see.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:14 AM
Saratoga

June 4, 2011
June 4, 2011 (Saturday)
<At Tokyo Race Course>
Weather: Fine Going: Standard (dirt course)

- jogged 1/4 lap, cantered 1 lap (dirt course)
(exercised from 6:50 AM to 7:01 AM, ridden by Kin Wai Cheung)

"Everything is going as planned and I'm happy about it. Draw number nine is right in the middle and we'll just go with the flow."
(comments taken from Anthony Cruz)

"With the experience of riding in the Yasuda Kinen (and the Japan Cup) before, I believe that you need not only an honest and proper Group One horse that can do 1,600 to 1,800m, which is best suited because of the genuine speed of this prestigious race, but a horse that also can travel well without any problems.
I'm riding for the best trainer in the world—he was champion trainer in Hong Kong and champion jockey and I trust him very much. I have a very good horse, a champion miler, and since he's traveled very well to Japan we're all looking forward to a good run on Sunday."
(Comments taken from Weichong Marwing)

Thumbs Up

THUMBS UP (NZ, G7, bay)

- jogged 1/4 lap, cantered 1 lap (dirt course)
(exercised from 6:51 AM to 7:01 AM, ridden by Dale Bussey)

"Thumbs Up is one of the best travelers I've brought to Japan. He also enjoys the undivided attention and thrives here. He's relaxed and he moved smoothly this morning.
There are no excuses now - we have a great draw, good weather and as long as we get a steady pace, we can see exactly how good a horse he is because he has not had one race work out for him in Hong Kong due to a slow pace. I just want him to get what he deserves."

Yasuda Kinen (G1) - comments from Japanese runners' connections

A Shin ForwardA Shin Forward
Masato Nishizono (trainer)
"I'm seeing a good fighting spirit in him now. Last year's Yasuda ended in a 10th-place finish but he had finished third in the Hankyu Hai with the same time as the winner Kinshasa no Kiseki and he had a fourth in the Keio Hai Spring Cup. I think he was tired. I thought on that a bit and this time after some time off it's only his second race back so he's fresh. I want people to once again see him as the G1 horse he is."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ApapaneApapane
Katsumi Sato (assistant trainer)
"Oken Sakura set a nice pace for us in the Victoria Mile and Apapane was able to get into a good rhythm. She made her move ahead of the others but was able to hold on well till the finish. This time the schedule is a tight one so I don't think too much fast work will be in order. That day, she was at 504 kg and looked to have recovered. She is well toned with a nice firmness. We worked up the hill over last weekend and after that have just breezed her. This is the first time we've only had two weeks racing between her races, but I don't think it will be a problem. If she can get a run like she had last time out I think we can expect good results."

Masayoshi Ebina (jockey)
"She beat (Buena Vista) and that, in itself, is a huge confidence booster."

Sakae Kunieda (trainer)
"She did well up against a Horse of the Year and in the mile, so I think she'll do well against the boys."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B B GuldanB B Guldan
Makoto Usami (assistant trainer)
"In the Takamatsunomiya Kinen he was going along with the pace but then couldn't move going into the turn because a horse had broken down. But even so he was able to quicken and I'd say he showed some of his best effort so far. We had a lot of time until the Yasuda so we put him out for a spell. He came back on May 4 and we started working him right away again. Because we have the long haul to the track, we did our fast work last week. The going was bad but his movement and time were still good. He's in good condition. He's had experience over a left-handed track at Chukyo so I don't think there's a problem there. It will be his first time at Tokyo but the long stretch will be a welcome factor for him. "

Masazo Ryoke (trainer)
"He's in good shape. As for the distance, I'd say since he's been kind of lazy lately, he'll be able to handle it."

Clever ToshoClever Tosho
Yujiro Sakiyama (assistant trainer)
"Early on, he'd been rather weak, but now his weight has been holding around the 500 kg mark and he's stronger. And that has been reflected in his recent results. I had thought he wouldn't really be ready until the fall, but he has improved from about two races back. I think if he gets a good trip he has a chance."

Cosmo SensorCosmo Sensor
"He's feeling good. He's a speed horse, just like the way he won in record time in the fall as a 2-year-old. I want a fast track."

Danon YoyoDanon Yoyo
Hidetaka Otonashi (trainer)
"Last time out he was just back from some time off and I can't say we were going into the race with confidence, but he broke well and went to the front and if you look at the pace, it was good we'd given him some races before that. As it turned out the frontrunners held their ground. After the Yomiuri Milers Cup we kept him at the training center since we were aiming for this race. We worked him in tandem last week and this week we took him out alone. He ran perfectly straight and there was no problem with his movement. He's the type that improves the more you race and now, one race in after the time off, he will be back in best of form. This time out we're better prepared to do battle and I think you can expect good results. He's good at Tokyo and I'd even have to say he's better to the left. He'll be up against foreign-based horses he hasn't seen before but he beat Apapane last time out. Then there's the jockey, riding for the first time. We'll see if they work well together. Two times in three he'll lose it at the gate. Williams schooled him this week in the gate and says the horse has learned the gate well now. In any case, this is our main goal for the spring and he is definitely in good shape so we are going for the win."

Jo CappuccinoJo Cappuccino
Kazuya Nakatake (trainer)
"He gets better each time out. A lot will depend on the pace at the mile, but he takes better to a left-handed track than a right-handed one. However, he was able to relax more as a 3-year-old. Now, he's been a bit keen. Tokyo is good but I can't say he's especially good at the mile. Still, after the Keio Hai Spring Cup, (Yuichi) Fukunaga said he needed another furlong. My staff agreed. Luckily, after that race, he has been in good shape and actually looking better so I decided to go ahead and give it a try. I had originally planned to already rest him for the summer."

Live ConcertLive Concert
Toshiaki Shirai (trainer)
"This has been our goal all along and he's come along to plan. I'd like him to race ahead of midfield. A trip like two races ago would be ideal, so I'm hoping for an inside draw. Even though he's 7 years old, there is no drop in power."

Reach the CrownReach the Crown
Kojiro Hashiguchi (trainer)
"Like usual, his movement is good. There is no damage or fatigue from the last race. He was second in the Derby so I'm not worried about the course. He has done well on a slow track, but I'd prefer a fast one. I'll be watching the weather over the weekend. I'm writing off last year's Yasuda since he suffered a break in the race."

Real ImpactReal Impact
Atsunori Hashimoto (assistant trainer)
"He was kept waiting in the gate for the NHK Mile Cup, got agitated and broke late. We wanted to get a good position but had to forget about that, then in the stretch when we brought him out he wasn't running balanced. The inside draw backfired on us but on the whole I think he gave it his best. I had the choice of the Derby, the Yasuda Kinen or the Radio Nikkei Sho but, with an eye to the fall, I decided without hesitation on the Yasuda. It'd have been fine if he'd stayed in the same shape as he'd been in, but after three races now I still think he is improving. I don't think there's a great difference in level between this race and the Satsuki Sho or the NHK Mile, so his third-place finish last time out (in the NHK Mile) can put him in the upper ranks I think. Of course, the competition will be among older horses, but there I hope he'll be able to use the weight allowance to his advantage."

RidillRidill
Kojiro Hashiguchi (trainer)
"His last race was a good race. The mile is an easier race than the 2,000. We've been training, naturally, specifically for the Yasuda. He's moving well. He could use a bit more weight but he's maintained his condition. Last time out, we had a second over 2,000 meters for the first time in a while. There's no problem with the course and his selling point is his ability to respond well. I hope we can have a fast track on race day. He had a break and so we had to rest him for quite a while. If he hadn't had the break I always felt he could have won a graded race. It's a strong field, but I'm looking forward to seeing how he does."

San CarloSan Carlo
Yokichi Okubo (trainer)
"He was a bit heavy so I worked him pretty hard this week. We'd planned to run him in blinkers but (Norihiro) Yokoyama said he didn't need them. Yokoyama knows him well, so I'm going to trust him. If the pace is fast, he's actually easier to ride in a 1,200 or 1,400-meter race, but if the pace is fast, it should be interesting."

Silk EarnestSilk Earnest
Masakazu Sakai (assistant trainer)
"He is ready. If we hadn't gotten into the lineup, we had planned to go to the Epsom Cup. But we had him ready for this week and had planned to just maintain his condition."

SilportSilport
"In the Keio Hai Spring Cup, only the first furlong was 12.4 seconds. After that, everything was in the 11-second range. It was quite a sprint. He's not the type that can hold back and then change gears in the end. The rider was his regular one so I hadn't given him any special instructions. In any case, I thought he'd take the lead. If only he'd been ahead another 3 cm at the finish line. He worked up the hill the other day and everything was fine. He's held his condition for a long time now with no change. He's very competitive. If there's a horse in front of him he will try his best to catch it. The Yasuda is the same distance as the Kyoto Kimpai and Milers Cup, both of which he won, so I have expectations."

Smile JackSmile Jack
Tomokazu Shibasaki (assistant trainer)
"Last time out he took up a position much further back than I'd expected and ran from the back. He really gave it his all for the finish, but I guess because the pace had been slow, the frontrunners held their ground. The trip didn't suit him but I don't think he lost for any lack of ability. A week ago on the 25th Kosei Miura rode him in tandem with another and they got some hard work in. This time we don't have the long haul to the track, so I pushed him hard. He seemed a bit fat so with two weeks' of hard work, I think he's in good shape. We've aimed him at this race all along. I think he has the ability to win a G1 race. I want Miura to be able to enjoy himself and ride with confidence in the horse. If he does that, I think it'll show in the results."

Strong ReturnStrong Return
Atsunori Hashimoto (assistant trainer)
"He's come along to plan since last time out. Mentally and physically he's in good balance now and I think he's improved. Unlike earlier, where he'd kind of lose his head, he's learned to calm down and find his rhythm. He has matured. Power is key and there'll be the difference in weight he's carrying. Let's hope he can get some good results."
Old 06-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Saratoga

From DRF...

Okaaaay.

06/02/2011 3:29PM
Tokyo: Apapane looks solid in Yasuda Kinen

and there appears to be no horse of that quality among her rivals Sunday.
– Marcus Hersh
Old 06-04-2011, 07:41 PM
Saratoga

So apparently Tony was asked about Beauty Flash and if he's on the level of Bullish Luck.

My respect for him just went up again cause he answered honestly.

Bullish Luck was the better horse.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:46 AM
Saratoga

Nice win by Real Impact.

Aaah well.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Saratoga

Japan: Victoire Pisa, who had been around a 16-1 chance for the Qatar Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at Longchamp on October 2, will miss the race through injury.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse...ry/901719/top/