Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-06-2007, 11:34 AM
Narragansett Park

Doubt there'd be room and board - fly him in, fly him out the same day.

Air fare - guesstimate $400.

He'll need to get from the airport to the track, and back..... rental car or car/driver?

If he isn't licensed in NJ, I would assume we'd cover that fee ($50) for him.

Would his agent expect a trip too?

We'd get off cheap on the food bill though - those guys don't eat, do they?

Safe to assume we'd cover Chuck's expenses too? I would hope so.

Then there's licensing - owner, stable, trainer, groom - all need licensed.

It all adds up very fast!!!
Old 06-06-2007, 11:48 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Doubt there'd be room and board - fly him in, fly him out the same day.

Air fare - guesstimate $400.

He'll need to get from the airport to the track, and back..... rental car or car/driver?

If he isn't licensed in NJ, I would assume we'd cover that fee ($50) for him.

Would his agent expect a trip too?

We'd get off cheap on the food bill though - those guys don't eat, do they?

Safe to assume we'd cover Chuck's expenses too? I would hope so.

Then there's licensing - owner, stable, trainer, groom - all need licensed.

It all adds up very fast!!!
LOL - that one cracked me up.

Wow... I didn't realize how much went in to "going out of town." Seems like staying in Churchill is more practical. The negative to this would be the small fields for 3YO fillies, if the race fills at all.

Thanks for all the info.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:09 PM
Oriental Park

I get the sense many of you dont realize how much it really costs to own a racehorse. You are looking at 3000 just for her daily care. Any shipping expense is extra, any medication is extra, blacksmith is extra, vet is extra, sending a groom out of town is extra, its all EXTRA. Its not a cruise where its an all inclusive deal. I send a horse to Mountaineer I pay my standard 3k day rate for the month, the vet was another 500, sending the groom was 300 vanning the horse up and back was 1000, scoping after it got its ass kicked and having the doctor take a good look was another couple hundred. So here the monthly bill for (1) horse is 5000.00 and thats without its lubrysin(300), without its shoes(100) so a grand total of 5400.

I see some of you talking about flying a jockey in which would be another 2000 or so. So youre looking at 2k to ship, 2k to fly in a jock, 3k for her daily care, and lets just say 1000 for misc expense. Thats an 8000 dollar bill. I mean shes ran great, but she has covered costs, and thats pretty much it. You need to be realistic when you own a horse, once you start dreaming you can get in trouble
Old 06-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
I get the sense many of you dont realize how much it really costs to own a racehorse.
Which is why the initial DeeTee Stables partnership offer was structured as it is - a bit differently than "the usual" arrangements.

It is also why DeeTee seems to be well-serving it's purpose and intent: to have a whole lot of fun meeting new people who love the sport, to allow those who cannot afford $35-45K/year an opportunity at ownership; and incidentally giving an education in race horse ownership to those both involved and having fun observing.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Narragansett Park

Wow - you're paying $100 a day. And running at Moutaineer? Hope it was a stake race.

If you ship to Mountaineer, where are you stabled? KY?

Your vet bills sounds a litttle high.

Through Feb, my trainer was $50 a day in MD. Vet bills avg $120 to $150/mo. I never had a vet bill that was more than $300. I never owned anything good enough to get lubrysin.

I'd estimate that we spent an average of $1700/mo to keep a horse in training. Summer it was more because of shipping to Charles Town or Delaware Park.

No doubt there's a broad spectrum of costs that vary from trainer-to-trainer.

Hope you are seeing good results.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Oriental Park

I understand that Riot, I think its great. Just reading through some of the ideas and they dont make any economic sense
Old 06-06-2007, 01:11 PM
Oriental Park

The only time you ship into Mountaineer is for an allowance or stake race. My horses are in Kentucky. Between 80-100 a day is standard. Im sure Cannon can attest to what it costs to train a horse at CHD. You can cut corners or you can do it the right way.

Lubrysin 300
Blacksmith 125
Day Rate 2500-3000
Vet 500
Vanning (1trip) 1000
Misc 500

My point is despite how well Sumone has ran chuck is probably OUT money on her, while people are talking about flying in jockeys and questioning a vanning bill to New Jersey.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:17 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
I understand that Riot, I think its great. Just reading through some of the ideas and they dont make any economic sense
A little hard reality from those who have gone before, regarding the facts of life of horse ownership, is part of our education process

"Yikes! It costs HOW freakin' much ?? "
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
I get the sense many of you dont realize how much it really costs to own a racehorse. You are looking at 3000 just for her daily care. Any shipping expense is extra, any medication is extra, blacksmith is extra, vet is extra, sending a groom out of town is extra, its all EXTRA. Its not a cruise where its an all inclusive deal. I send a horse to Mountaineer I pay my standard 3k day rate for the month, the vet was another 500, sending the groom was 300 vanning the horse up and back was 1000, scoping after it got its ass kicked and having the doctor take a good look was another couple hundred. So here the monthly bill for (1) horse is 5000.00 and thats without its lubrysin(300), without its shoes(100) so a grand total of 5400.

I see some of you talking about flying a jockey in which would be another 2000 or so. So youre looking at 2k to ship, 2k to fly in a jock, 3k for her daily care, and lets just say 1000 for misc expense. Thats an 8000 dollar bill. I mean shes ran great, but she has covered costs, and thats pretty much it. You need to be realistic when you own a horse, once you start dreaming you can get in trouble
That's exactly the point. And we won't find out unless we ask questions (and dare to look foolish in the asking). I knew absolutely zip about horse ownership before the start of the Dee Tee Stable partnership. Now, I know a little more. I still have a lot more to learn.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:41 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
You can cut corners or you can do it the right way.
No offense, but I hate it when someone insinuates that if you aren't paying the same day rate they are, then someone isn't doing a good job for you and you aren't seeing any results. If you feel ok with the deal you are getting, that's great. I liked the results I got for what I spent and we didn't cut corners. I'm a big believer that just because you pay more doesn't mean you get more.

Quote:
Lubrysin 300
A pint of Lubrysin is $70. 15ml per dose per day is the common dosage. 1 pint = 473 mls. 473mls divided by 15mls per day comes out to 31 doses per pint. And you are paying $300 per month? Even if you double the dose that's still only $140 per month. Or, is my math totally wrong here?
Old 06-06-2007, 03:31 PM
Del Mar

So how can there be $3000 claimers..sounds like there's no way it makes sense or cents? This is a real learning experience and glad everyone is sharing this information...really good stuff!

Spyder
Old 06-06-2007, 07:10 PM
Oriental Park

Your math isnt wrong, you are. The big jug of Lubrysin is over 300.
3k claimers run at Thistledown where the day rate is 30 bucks a day, thats how you can make it work.

You must have misunderstood me, Im not knocking how anyone does it. Im not saying because X trainers rate is 3k a month, and Y trainers is 2k, x is better. What Im saying is to do right by the horse there is an inherent expense
Old 06-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Your math isnt wrong, you are. The big jug of Lubrysin is over 300.
But you don't use a big jug every month per horse, do you?. The numbers you showed us are based on monthly expenses for one horse, or at least that's how you portrayed it.

My vet bill numbers were higher in the months I had to buy Cosequin or a bottle of Clenbuterol, or for a bottle of bute. But I never bought one of each every month. And, actually, I never bought my Cosequin through my vet - I used to buy it off of Ebay and save $100.....

Do you have all of your monthly bills mailed directly to you or do you have them sent to the trainer and then you reimburse him/her?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:33 PM
top predator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
But you don't use a big jug every month per horse, do you?. The numbers you showed us are based on monthly expenses for one horse, or at least that's how you portrayed it.

My vet bill numbers were higher in the months I had to buy Cosequin or a bottle of Clenbuterol, or for a bottle of bute. But I never bought one of each every month. And, actually, I never bought my Cosequin through my vet - I used to buy it off of Ebay and save $100.....

Do you have all of your monthly bills mailed directly to you or do you have them sent to the trainer and then you reimburse him/her?
if you buy the gallon jug of lubrisyn it is obviously the most economical....and I believe when I did the math for my own horses it came out to about $1.50 per day per horse...if that helps.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Oriental Park

Im just trying to put into perspective what it usually costs if you arent part of a group like this. To be honest Ive been shocked by some of the messages Ive seen here, even more shocking to me is how gracious Chuck has been. If I were footing the bill monthly and someone said...hey lets fly in Willie Martinez, I would tell them to go eat a shoe. If you fly a guy in its a Gomez, or Prado, someone like that. Only Buff Bradley flys Martinez around the world and I bet on more than one occasion he wishes the plane would have gotten stuck somewhere. Im not saying the guy is horrible, Im just saying if you are going to roll out 2k to fly in a jockey its not Chilly Willie Martinez

The other thing Im saying is hypothetically you Fly Willie in, thats an expense, whos going to foot the expense? You van Sumone up, which is 2k, whos going to foot the expense, you take a team up there with sumone, whos going to foot the expense. You dont just show up through a telewarp, there is real money involved when you send a horse 12 hrs from home

I wish you guys the best with the filly, Im glad everyone is having a goodtime and enjoying ownership. Im just surprised by some of the questions, and assumptions Ive seen. I have no interest in the filly, but the question about a billing statement, or earnings statement lead me to believe someone may be in the dark about how much it really costs to have a racehorse

One last thing, when you buy a horse at the price this filly was purchased 999 times out of 1000 you dont end up with a horse of this quality. A lot of guys spend 30 times what you spent and dont even get a race out of their horse, needless to say they have no residual either. The managment has put you in a spot with this horse where its nearly impossible to lose money unless you start flying jockeys around, and finding spots 12hrs from home.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:18 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Im just trying to put into perspective what it usually costs if you arent part of a group like this. To be honest Ive been shocked by some of the messages Ive seen here, even more shocking to me is how gracious Chuck has been. If I were footing the bill monthly and someone said...hey lets fly in Willie Martinez, I would tell them to go eat a shoe. If you fly a guy in its a Gomez, or Prado, someone like that. Only Buff Bradley flys Martinez around the world and I bet on more than one occasion he wishes the plane would have gotten stuck somewhere. Im not saying the guy is horrible, Im just saying if you are going to roll out 2k to fly in a jockey its not Chilly Willie Martinez

The other thing Im saying is hypothetically you Fly Willie in, thats an expense, whos going to foot the expense? You van Sumone up, which is 2k, whos going to foot the expense, you take a team up there with sumone, whos going to foot the expense. You dont just show up through a telewarp, there is real money involved when you send a horse 12 hrs from home

I wish you guys the best with the filly, Im glad everyone is having a goodtime and enjoying ownership. Im just surprised by some of the questions, and assumptions Ive seen. I have no interest in the filly, but the question about a billing statement, or earnings statement lead me to believe someone may be in the dark about how much it really costs to have a racehorse

One last thing, when you buy a horse at the price this filly was purchased at 999 times out of 1000 you dont end up with a horse of this quality. A lot of guys spend 30 times what you spent and dont even get a race out of their horse, needless to say they have no residual either. The managment has put you in a spot with this horse where its nearly impossible to lose money unless you start flying jockeys around, and finding spots 12hrs from home.
The only reason we're talking about shipping to Monmouth is because Steve and Chuck mentioned that as a possibility.

Chuck seems to have been happy with the way Willie Martinez is riding Sumwon. So, of course, we are going to ask if he will be riding her if she does ship out of town.

Most of us in the partnership had no idea about the harsh realities of ownership. We're getting educated. Chuck and Steve have been gracious. For that, we are thankful.

There is no book on horse ownership etiquette (that I know of). If one of the partners is getting out of line, we have some people with more experience who can clue us in. For that, we are also thankful.

I know it would be easier for Chuck and Steve if we would all just "shut up and sit down." But that is not the nature of this partnership (thankful for that too). If we are truly annoying Chuck and Steve, they'll either let us know, or make changes in any future partnership agreement when this one dissolves at the end of the year.

So far, it's been a wonderful ride.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:19 PM
Ellis Park

BTW, thanks for all the info you have provided, Bid. It is appreciated.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:38 PM
The Curragh

Chuck and Steve are certainly the ones calling all the shots. So any comments we make are really just points for discussion.

Think a big part of what's going on is some education for many folks that have not been involved in ownership before. Been a great experience thus far and hope to lean more as we progress.

As long as stupid questions don't bother the bosses, don't see how discussing them can be a bad thing.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:39 PM
Dee Tee Stables

i know that we all realize it costs a lot, or else most of us would be doing this on our own.
steve also knows that most of us are rank novices when it comes to this, and set this up so that many of us who may never get the opportunity to get further into ownership can have a small piece of a small pie.

as for the questions, comments, etc, what else would you expect from people who don't know? that's how we find out...it's also why it was set up from the get go with steve and chuck calling the shots, since they do know.
otherwise, we wouldn't have run in the first race yet, as we'd all still be arguing over silks patterns!

besides, like my dad says, stupid questions are the easiest to answer.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy
Chuck and Steve are certainly the ones calling all the shots. So any comments we make are really just points for discussion.

Think a big part of what's going on is some education for many folks that have not been involved in ownership before. Been a great experience thus far and hope to lean more as we progress.

As long as stupid questions don't bother the bosses, don't see how discussing them can be a bad thing.
so funny, while you were posting, i was as well--similar thinking! whadya know