Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-05-2007, 08:45 AM
The Curragh

Default Will Willie Travel?

I know nothing is set regarding our Girl's next start.

That being said, I was finally able to clear my calander and am super excited about the prospect of Monmouth.

Question is, would we expect Willie Martinez to be interested in traveling to ride Sumwon at Monmouth, Toga or wherever she lands outside CD.

Really having a blast and looking forward to seeing action in person.

Thanks
Old 06-05-2007, 09:16 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy
I know nothing is set regarding our Girl's next start.

That being said, I was finally able to clear my calander and am super excited about the prospect of Monmouth.

Question is, would we expect Willie Martinez to be interested in traveling to ride Sumwon at Monmouth, Toga or wherever she lands outside CD.

Really having a blast and looking forward to seeing action in person.

Thanks
I'd be interested in hearing about this also.

John (AeWingnut) wrote on the Dee Tee Stable blog that he asked Chuck if Willie would travel to Prarie Meadows if Sumwon were entered in the Iowa Oaks. The answer was in the affirmative, so I hope that means that he would also travel if Sumwon ran in Monmouth and Saratoga, because I think he works well with Sumwon (and I don't know how common that is).

I've already booked a flight to New Jersey that weekend. Too hard to book it last minute. If she doesn't run in the Without Feathers Stakes, then I still get to see Monmouth (the site of this year's Breeders' Cup) and make a side-trip to NYC. If she runs 6 days later in Iowa, I'll try to make that race also. The only way my "vacation" can get messed up is if they decide to card a race at Churchill Downs that weekend and Sumwon is entered there.

I knew that horseracing was a gamble... I just didn't think that included my travel plans....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstable
I'd be interested in hearing about this also.

John (AeWingnut) wrote on the Dee Tee Stable blog that he asked Chuck if Willie would travel to Prarie Meadows if Sumwon were entered in the Iowa Oaks. The answer was in the affirmative, so I hope that means that he would also travel if Sumwon ran in Monmouth and Saratoga, because I think he works well with Sumwon (and I don't know how common that is).

I've already booked a flight to New Jersey that weekend. Too hard to book it last minute. If she doesn't run in the Without Feathers Stakes, then I still get to see Monmouth (the site of this year's Breeders' Cup) and make a side-trip to NYC. If she runs 6 days later in Iowa, I'll try to make that race also. The only way my "vacation" can get messed up is if they decide to card a race at Churchill Downs that weekend and Sumwon is entered there.

I knew that horseracing was a gamble... I just didn't think that included my travel plans....
You are racking up the frequent flyer miles. I'm sure Willie will go to ride her. The issue is funding the trip.....
Old 06-05-2007, 10:35 AM
Flemington

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
You are racking up the frequent flyer miles. I'm sure Willie will go to ride her. The issue is funding the trip.....
I can't make the trip if she runs at Monmouth but I would be certainly willing to help fund Willie if others would too. He's been good to her.
Old 06-05-2007, 11:06 AM
The Curragh

Hope I'm not speaking out of turn, but personally I think it could be a good idea to get Willie up there if it is feasable for us. If she has a legit shot, it would be nice to have him on board given his familiarity and willingness to work with her.

Obviously defer to the experts on this. However, if we are just talking airfare and a room, thinking it could be worth our while.

Just an opinion and I will be happy as a pig in sh*t whatever the decision is....
Old 06-05-2007, 12:02 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
. The only way my "vacation" can get messed up is if they decide to card a race at Churchill Downs that weekend and Sumwon is entered there.

I hear ya I haven't committed to NJ just yet, but may jump in within the next few days.

I'm hoping CD miraculously manages to card something for Sumwon at the end of the month. It would be nice to have another chance at a purse without the shipping $$/jock travel issues, before going on to more/bigger/better/elsewhere this summer and fall.

Guess we'll just have to stay loose for a bit here, see how the girl is doing, wait and see what Chuck and Steve feel is the next best move as it develops.
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 06-05-2007, 12:03 PM
Suffolk Downs

Unstable,looking forward to seeing you at Monmouth,traveling man. Hope it happens.
Old 06-05-2007, 12:50 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerndutch
Unstable,looking forward to seeing you at Monmouth,traveling man. Hope it happens.
I'll be there, whether it happens with Sumwon or not, as long as she isn't entered somewhere else that week-end.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:11 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
Yeah, shipping Sumwon to NJ and back can't be cheap. That's why I'm not holding my breath that Sumwon runs there (only that she doesn't run somewhere else that week-end). If she runs there, great! It would also be great for her to have a race (and victory) over the track before the Gr. III Monmouth B/C Oaks in August (if that is even on the radar).

How much would it cost to ship her to NJ? Prarie Meadows? (Is that still a possibility?) Arlington? Is the turf experiment over for the time being?
Old 06-05-2007, 01:19 PM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
I hear ya I haven't committed to NJ just yet, but may jump in within the next few days.

I'm hoping CD miraculously manages to card something for Sumwon at the end of the month. It would be nice to have another chance at a purse without the shipping $$/jock travel issues, before going on to more/bigger/better/elsewhere this summer and fall.

Guess we'll just have to stay loose for a bit here, see how the girl is doing, wait and see what Chuck and Steve feel is the next best move as it develops.
The next Condition Book for Churchill should be coming out in the next week or two. I originally thought about travelling to Louisville for closing week-end, but flights/hotels were problematic. And, after what happened last time, I'm not making any further travel plans unless they coincide with other whims.
Old 06-05-2007, 01:44 PM
Hollywood Park

I am hoping for a Monmouth appearance, I can get there with a quick 4 or 5 hour drive to get there. Of course, I need to defer my desires to what is best for the filly. It would be great if our best interests dovetailed in New Jersey!
Old 06-05-2007, 02:02 PM
Randwyck

Riot, I'm with you on this one. I hope something develops at Churchill. She seems to like it there and we know she's not in over her head.
Old 06-05-2007, 02:39 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
How much would it cost to ship her to NJ?
Four years ago, it cost me $1500 to ship (by van) from Bowie to Keeneland, RT. Five years ago it cost me $1200 to ship (by van) from Bowie to Aqueduct, RT.

That was when gas was much cheaper.

On Black Eyed Susan Day I was speaking with the owner of Kettleoneup and he said it'd cost either $4500 or $5k to ship (fly) her to Pimlico, and I think he said that was a shared load....

Might depend if you go as a load or solo, but either way, I would guess somewhere around $2500 from Louisville to Monmouth.
Old 06-05-2007, 05:00 PM
Atlantic City Race Course

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Four years ago, it cost me $1500 to ship (by van) from Bowie to Keeneland, RT. Five years ago it cost me $1200 to ship (by van) from Bowie to Aqueduct, RT.

That was when gas was much cheaper.

On Black Eyed Susan Day I was speaking with the owner of Kettleoneup and he said it'd cost either $4500 or $5k to ship (fly) her to Pimlico, and I think he said that was a shared load....

Might depend if you go as a load or solo, but either way, I would guess somewhere around $2500 from Louisville to Monmouth.
That's ridiculous.
How much to ride her to NJ ?

Chuck - how much to fund the trip for Willie?
Old 06-05-2007, 06:46 PM
Oriental Park

It will cost you around 2000-2500 if shes shipped special to Jersey. If you can get her in with another maybe a little less
Old 06-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bid
It will cost you around 2000-2500 if shes shipped special to Jersey. If you can get her in with another maybe a little less
Holy moly, them's some simoleons. I was looking forward to a jaunt to Jersey to see our girl run in person, and meet some of the gang, but I guess I can wait another month and a half until 'toga.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:22 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowRoll
Holy moly, them's some simoleons. I was looking forward to a jaunt to Jersey to see our girl run in person, and meet some of the gang, but I guess I can wait another month and a half until 'toga.
Me too (even though I have a stupid wedding that day), hopefully Churchill cards something. That's a lot of money to ship for a purse that won't be that much more than a Churchill allowance. Obviously there is black type to consider so not sure in terms of value how much that offsets things. Either way Chuck and Steve are doing great with her so I'm sure everything works out. Can't wait for her to get up to Saratoga.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:45 AM
Goodwood

Default My $.02

I know I am in a minority here, but I'd save the money on Willie and get one of the locals.

Bravo
Lezcano
DeCarlo (if he is there on that day)
Castro (if he is there on that day)
Centeno

Not horrible options. I'm sure Bravo would have something lined up, but it never hurts to ask....
Old 06-06-2007, 07:57 AM
The Curragh

Hey Pointman - Push comes to shove, we could also always ask your boy Tommy Turner...

Last edited by pmacdaddy : 06-06-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 AM
Ellis Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmc
I know I am in a minority here, but I'd save the money on Willie and get one of the locals.

Bravo
Lezcano
DeCarlo (if he is there on that day)
Castro (if he is there on that day)
Centeno

Not horrible options. I'm sure Bravo would have something lined up, but it never hurts to ask....
Well, since we have a rough idea how much it will cost to ship Sumwon, maybe now it's time to find out how much it costs to "ship" a jockey. What is the expense? Flight? Room and board? Additional fee?