Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Dee Tee Stables
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Woodbine

Default New York bred for Dee Tee Stables?

Steve --

Still thinking about getting another horse for the partnership? If so (and if it's the same deal), I'm in!

Maybe now's not the best time to bring this up. On the other hand, since it's the eve of our glorious victory, why not?
Old 04-29-2007, 09:17 AM
Steve Byk

S/R,

Will get the Prospectus/Agreement on the NY-Bred ready after I return from the Derby! But we're going to one... Same package...
Old 04-29-2007, 09:23 AM
The Curragh

Great News Steve!
Old 04-29-2007, 09:33 AM
Dee Tee Stables

sweet.

a guy who works with my husband was asking us about it the other day. said if we do another, he wants in.

we had several people asking about it--i think it's a good thing telling others about racing, the ins and outs--one lady was horrified that horses run in claiming races, where you might lose your horse.
another guy has sumwon in his stable watch--a lot of folks here go to oaklawn, finding fans every day.
Old 04-30-2007, 09:12 PM
Saratoga

Love it, maybe a 2 year old?
Old 05-07-2007, 05:29 AM
Steve Byk

Default NY-bred Partnership Update

Chuck has been doing some investigation, and is dissatisfied with the potential quality of NYB horse in training (claimer, etc.) we could likely purchase for the estimated $20,000-$25,000 we would raise.. The reason is that there simply are few NY-breds for this price that would have any potential or conditions to run through, as no one would sell one that could be grabbing the NY-bred money available if they had..

A good example is the colt that I was involved with, Funny Boy. He was sold privately for $25k, but had been sidelined a year with a serious injury which could re-surface at any time. He broke his maiden two weeks ago at AQU, and is 3/1-1-1, but John Parisella will have to be very careful with him to keep him whole.

The inclination if people are interested, is to buy a NY-bred yearling at the August NY-bred Select Yearling Sale instead. That means of course that partners would not see this purchase run until summer of 2008.. A second Dee Tee horse, a non-NYB, is also a possibility. We'll keep the ball in the air on this and address it further once I return to NY Thursday.. Thanks for the continued interest, as I know a number of you want to get into another horse.
Old 05-07-2007, 07:35 AM
The Curragh

Our group would be very interested in getting a NYB yearling. Would love to go to the sales too.

Is Chuck willing to do the same deal with a Horse that will be training so long before seeing action? Or will we have a different arrangement in that scenario?

Thanks
Old 05-07-2007, 07:38 AM
Woodbine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasept
...The inclination if people are interested, is to buy a NY-bred yearling at the August NY-bred Select Yearling Sale instead. That means of course that partners would not see this purchase run until summer of 2008...
Does this mean that you would modify the contract to make the partnership agreement longer term than the last one?

Sorry, habit of my profession.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:57 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
The inclination if people are interested, is to buy a NY-bred yearling at the August NY-bred Select Yearling Sale instead. That means of course that partners would not see this purchase run until summer of 2008.. A second Dee Tee horse, a non-NYB, is also a possibility.
My supposition is that a main desire regarding the next horse is to get something that would primarily race more centrally within the east coast, for Dee Tee partners there to enjoy?

If so, doesn't matter to me what Chuck Simon thinks would be most appropriate - I'm in
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Sha Tin

As Steve stated before getting an acceptable horse in our likely price range is going to be difficult if we limit ourselves to NY breds. We would need to gamble on a physical wreck or get really lucky. I dont like depending on luck and I want to be upfront with everyone before we start raising funds. I think that I can find a nice NY bred yearling for a minimal cost. But trying to find a NY bred for sale that is actually worth $25000 is almost impossible.

Sumwon is going to work on Wed. Probably 1/2 mile in around 50-51.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:02 PM
Churchill Downs

is there a 2yo sale of ny breds?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:30 PM
The Curragh

Is there a seperate sale for NYB Yearlings or are they entered as part of the standard sales?

I would be curious to look over last year's results if there is a particular auction we would target.

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Keeneland

[quote=Sumwon is going to work on Wed. Probably 1/2 mile in around 50-51.[/QUOTE]

She's that full of herself? Great! What time, may be able to stop by?
"Have the clean racing people run any ads explaining that giving a horse a Starbucks and a chocolate poppyseed muffin for breakfast would likely result in a ten year suspension for the trainer?" - Dr. Andrew Roberts
Old 05-07-2007, 03:33 PM
Narragansett Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannon Shell
I think that I can find a nice NY bred yearling for a minimal cost. But trying to find a NY bred for sale that is actually worth $25000 is almost impossible.
Chuck,

Can you give us a ballpark breakdown of what the costs would be to train a yearling up to a race, please?

Plenty of 2 yr olds in the Timonium Fas-Tip sale catalog.......8-)

Thanks!

Last edited by phystech : 05-07-2007 at 03:44 PM.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Chuck has been doing some investigation, and is dissatisfied with the potential quality of NYB horse in training (claimer, etc.) we could likely purchase for the estimated $20,000-$25,000 we would raise.. The reason is that there simply are few NY-breds for this price that would have any potential or conditions to run through, as no one would sell one that could be grabbing the NY-bred money available if they had..

A good example is the colt that I was involved with, Funny Boy. He was sold privately for $25k, but had been sidelined a year with a serious injury which could re-surface at any time. He broke his maiden two weeks ago at AQU, and is 3/1-1-1, but John Parisella will have to be very careful with him to keep him whole.

The inclination if people are interested, is to buy a NY-bred yearling at the August NY-bred Select Yearling Sale instead. That means of course that partners would not see this purchase run until summer of 2008.. A second Dee Tee horse, a non-NYB, is also a possibility. We'll keep the ball in the air on this and address it further once I return to NY Thursday.. Thanks for the continued interest, as I know a number of you want to get into another horse.
Steve,
You have my e-mail. We can talk.
I have a very sweet deal on a 4 yo in training (bad partner that wants to bail). Also a very nice 2yo filly and a very good yearling.

We''ll talk if you think there's a good deal for you and the DT'ers.

Regards,
Wayne
Old 05-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTERGEE
is there a 2yo sale of ny breds?
not strictly for nyb's
Old 05-07-2007, 05:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmacdaddy
Is there a seperate sale for NYB Yearlings or are they entered as part of the standard sales?

I would be curious to look over last year's results if there is a particular auction we would target.

Thanks!
The Saratoga sale is called the preferred sale because the horses must meet some criteria. There is another open sale also but it is really spotty.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riot
She's that full of herself? Great! What time, may be able to stop by?
8:30
Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phystech
Chuck,

Can you give us a ballpark breakdown of what the costs would be to train a yearling up to a race, please?

Plenty of 2 yr olds in the Timonium Fas-Tip sale catalog.......8-)

Thanks!
assuming we bought one in August or Sept...
If I break the horse and do all of its early training in KY then it will be pretty minimal. If we send it to Ocala then it gets more costly. If we assume that a NYB race for 2 yo's wont go until July (possible) then there is no rush to get the horse to the track before May.

Timonium is a good sale
Old 05-07-2007, 05:19 PM
Idlewild Airport

Depending on the prospectus I'd be interested in a NY bred.