Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > Breeders' Cup Archive
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-19-2007, 09:04 AM
The Curragh

Default Which (if any) 3-yr-olds will run next year?

I've been a big Street Sense fan since his BC win last year. But I can't root for him this year if he's going to take the win into the breeding shed.

Are any of the 3-yr-olds in the Classic committed to racing as 4-yr-olds?

--Dunbar
Old 10-19-2007, 12:13 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunbar
I've been a big Street Sense fan since his BC win last year. But I can't root for him this year if he's going to take the win into the breeding shed.

Are any of the 3-yr-olds in the Classic committed to racing as 4-yr-olds?

--Dunbar
I think Tiago will be back. Curlin could be as well. Any Given Saturday is an outside chance but doubtful and certainly won't be back if he wins the Classic. No way Street Sense or Hard Spun will be back, I think it is in their contract that they get turned over to Darley for stud duty after the Classic. What is interesting is that Lawyer Ron could be back. He doesn't become the property of Stonewall until he finishes out of the top two in back to back races or the Hines estate decides to retire him for stud.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:17 PM
Santa Anita

I think it's ridiculous not to root for Street Sense because he's going off to breed. Either he's good enough or he's not. If he is and this is your reasoning, it's pure spite which is crazy.

Regarding next year, I think they're thinking Dubai World Cup with Lawyer Ron and frankly I enjoy seeing him do what he's been doing. This isn't some sad attempt to eek out another race, he's G1 caliber and seems to thoroughly enjoy himself. They get the purse money (which let's face it, is why he's still going), we get to keep seeing him, and should he start to wind down before they choose to retire--which I doubt--the finish position contractually limits him from being driven into the ground.

Doesn't Any Given Saturday already have a stud deal? They bought shares in his dad too. Maybe we could see AGS and LR go at it in Dubai if they opt to keep him going. I wonder what's going on with Curlin--does he not have a deal due to his owner-situation craziness? It's either that or they're playing hard to get. It would be nice to see him too but I'll wait for the announcement.

Nobody's brought up Rags to Riches who I figure would've been retired already if they were going to. I think they've had more than enough opportunities. I realize they'd probably send Rags to Riches to Storm Cat or something but maybe they could consider Smart Strike (I just hope $75,000 isn't under breeding in their minds, I think the pedigree holds up). Pulls in Mr. Prospector and Curlin has that over Deputy Minister who's Rags' BM. You'd get a similar family mix in addition to the Mr. P/AP Indy that works out so well so often. That's another reason I think they'll try to bring her back, Storm Cat's no spring chicken so if they wanted to go that route they'd be trying to do that now. His book's already going down.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:19 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlinsky
Nobody's brought up Rags to Riches who I figure would've been retired already if they were going to. I think they've had more than enough opportunities. I realize they'd probably send Rags to Riches to Storm Cat or something but maybe they could consider Smart Strike. Pulls in Mr. P and Curlin has that over Deputy Minister who's Rags' BM so you'd get a similar family mix combined with the Mr. P/AP Indy that works out so well so often. That's another reason I think they'll try to bring her back, Storm Cat's no spring chicken so if they wanted to go that route they'd be trying to do that now. His book's already going down.
They have plenty of time with Rags. It isn't like a stallion where you need time to fill their book. They can bring her back in the spring and see how she looks and even in April or May if she has another setback there is still time to breed her.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:22 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
They have plenty of time with Rags. It isn't like a stallion where you need time to fill their book. They can bring her back in the spring and see how she looks and even in April or May if she has another setback there is still time to breed her.
Very true. And I'm sure even with a book limitation they'd squeeze her in.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:40 PM
Dee Tee Stables

Quote:
I think it's ridiculous not to root for Street Sense because he's going off to breed. Either he's good enough or he's not. If he is and this is your reasoning, it's pure spite which is crazy.

Regarding next year, I think they're thinking Dubai World Cup with Lawyer Ron and frankly I enjoy seeing him do what he's been doing. This isn't some sad attempt to eek out another race, he's G1 caliber and seems to thoroughly enjoy himself. They get the purse money (which let's face it, is why he's still going), we get to keep seeing him, and should he start to wind down before they choose to retire--which I doubt--the finish position contractually limits him from being driven into the ground.

Doesn't Any Given Saturday already have a stud deal? They bought shares in his dad too. Maybe we could see AGS and LR go at it in Dubai if they opt to keep him going. I wonder what's going on with Curlin--does he not have a deal due to his owner-situation craziness? It's either that or they're playing hard to get. It would be nice to see him too but I'll wait for the announcement.

Nobody's brought up Rags to Riches who I figure would've been retired already if they were going to. I think they've had more than enough opportunities. I realize they'd probably send Rags to Riches to Storm Cat or something but maybe they could consider Smart Strike (I just hope $75,000 isn't under breeding in their minds, I think the pedigree holds up). Pulls in Mr. Prospector and Curlin has that over Deputy Minister who's Rags' BM. You'd get a similar family mix in addition to the Mr. P/AP Indy that works out so well so often. That's another reason I think they'll try to bring her back, Storm Cat's no spring chicken so if they wanted to go that route they'd be trying to do that now. His book's already going down.
yeah, i'm pretty sure they're thinking dubai for lawyer ron. i wouldn't be surprised to see any given saturday stay in training for the same target, while street sense and hard spun go to the shed.
Old 10-19-2007, 07:59 PM
Sha Tin

Hacker Craft will run next year
Old 10-19-2007, 08:04 PM
Oaklawn

AGS was reported to be listed on the WinStar roster for next season. I just looked and he's not there. That could be a good sign.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:06 PM
The Curragh

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't feel either crazy or ridiculous. Possibly spiteful, though. Why should I root for a result that will add prestige to a horse who's been retired too early?

I'd rather get to watch winners of the Breeder's Cup races run another year, especially when they are just 3-yr-olds. And I'd rather see a 4-yr-old like Lawyer Ron win it than a 3-yr-old whose connections can't wait to cash in. I'm not sure why that seems so ridiculous to you.

--Dunbar
Old 10-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Sha Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaHoss9698
Strub Series bound I assume?
Probably skip the Malibu but maybe the 2 turn races........or $7500 NW3L
Old 10-19-2007, 08:17 PM
The Curragh

The Green Monkey
Old 10-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Santa Anita

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't feel either crazy or ridiculous. Possibly spiteful, though. Why should I root for a result that will add prestige to a horse who's been retired too early?

I'd rather get to watch winners of the Breeder's Cup races run another year, especially when they are just 3-yr-olds. And I'd rather see a 4-yr-old like Lawyer Ron win it than a 3-yr-old whose connections can't wait to cash in. I'm not sure why that seems so ridiculous to you.

--Dunbar
I don't hold the horse responsible for whatever I might dislike about his management...I didn't hold it against Smarty Jones or Toccet and I got over issues with Point Given too. I don't cheat myself out of enjoying a top horse because of the future (hey now don't mess with Toccet, he could've been better). Horse of the Year doesn't mean how well or if he's gonna run next year, it's how well he's running now. I want him to have a great race. Can you still enjoy Secretariat's Belmont given he didn't run on at age 4? I mean let's apply this retroactively.

Quote:
Originally Posted by letswastemoney
The Green Monkey
Done enough my friend, he's done enough There's no one for him to beat...because everyone's beating him but hey, semantics.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:55 PM
Benevolus

Not classic horses this year, but I think four very goods ones for next year are going to be Going Ballistic, Delightful Kiss, Zanjero, and Grasshopper.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:58 PM
Hialeah Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benevolus
Not classic horses this year, but I think four very goods ones for next year are going to be Going Ballistic, Delightful Kiss, Zanjero, and Grasshopper.
I'm still hopeful Ketchikan will join that list too. I guess Ravel is another that should be mentioned as well as the injured O'Neill horses (Notional and Great Hunter).
Old 10-22-2007, 03:18 PM
The Curragh

Is Chelokee retired yet?
Old 10-22-2007, 03:22 PM
Coach Pants

Sightseeing will be back for 2008. LOL
Old 10-22-2007, 03:31 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes44
Is Chelokee retired yet?
I don't think so. I think he had a minor injury and will be back at 4.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:32 PM
Benevolus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SniperSB23
I'm still hopeful Ketchikan will join that list too. I guess Ravel is another that should be mentioned as well as the injured O'Neill horses (Notional and Great Hunter).
Ravel could be anything. It wouldn't shock me if he turned out to be the top horse in the country next year. Hopefully he runs in the Clark at Churchill.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:40 PM
Sunshine Park

Quote:

--Dunbar
What most of you still can't get into your heads is that it costs TONS of money to insure these beasts! Street Sense is worth MILLIONS and for smaller operations (not Coolmore or Darley or Shadwell....) it is just not economically feasible to keep them in training. While Im sure the connections of Street Sense are not starving for money, they have much more to lose by keeping him in training another year. They are not in any way cashing in...they have had a good run, and are getting out while they are ahead. Bernardini on the other hand last year was a whole different story. I just can't look at Street Sense the same way.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:55 PM
Dee Tee Stables

it's not that the horse is suddenly valuable and ins is the problem, it's the potential loss of millions in stud fees. look at curlin, due to legal issues, he's got no deals. if there were no shadows being cast by lawyers, he'd also have a stud career worked out. so, his insurance is affordable and street senses isn't? no, it's that his potential value as a stud isn't on paper yet. there is a perceived value, but not a real value. of course his insurance may be high, but it's hard to believe that these millionaires (or in jacksons case, billionaires) are going to cry poor over insurance. another thing that gets me is that porter hurried to sign a deal for hard spun, and then bemoans the fact he can't run the horse at four. he wants a deal quick, before the horse possibly runs up the track, but then can't understand why darley might see a career at four as a problem?! of course HE can't, he no longer has a risk, only a reward.