Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > The Charles Hatton Reading Room
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-02-2006, 02:35 PM
Jerome Park

Godolphin just spent $56 Million dollars for horses in 3 days at Keeneland.

They better get some of the best horses in the world.

They also bought Comonmom ( I think that was the slug's name ) for $3 Million after he finished second in the Remsen. He never hit the board again.

You want to know why we don't get many good horses in America anymore? Because the Sheik and Coolmore have pretty much bought a high percentage of our best horseflesh and until recently all of the best horses they bought raced in Europe. Now, I know they bred Bernardini, but where do you think her dam, Cara Rafael, came from.

Hey, it's business, and I understand it. The Sheik has the money and the right to pay whatever he wants, and if I was a breeder I would love them for making me rich as well. But, because of their obscene wealth they have effectively cornered the market and made it very hard for others to compete. But, please don't try and convince me that they have done anything brilliant, as all they have really done is simply massively outspent everyone else.

I mean, honestly, how much have they spent for both yearlings, unraced 2YOs AND raced ( and sometimes proven ) 2YOs and this is the first year they have made a serious dent in American racing? Pardon me if I'm not impressed.

But, let's be honest, I have never forgiven the Sheik for running Lamterra four times and declaring after the Arc, in reference to why he was retiring him and skipping the BC, " he's done enough ". Yeah, why race 'em when you can retire 'em.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:37 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
He didn't just pick the sheiks horses to do well. He said that they were the best horses in the world, and he specifically named them...

What does BFD stand for? I'm probably going to feel really stupid when you tell me because it is probably really simple and obvious....
Thus my comparison to picking the Yankees to win the world series. And if he picked these horses back in May well that's not that bold of a prediction considering Discreet Cat annihilated his competition in the UAE Derby and there was talk of Bernardini way before the Preakness.

I hit a $20 pick 4 Travers Day by singling the three sheikh horses but I don't go around tooting my own horn on predicting the outcome correctly. Nor do I want praise for being right. BFD for picking the obvious.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:39 PM
Del Mar

Wow, you singled Ashkal Way, Henny Hughes and Bernardini? That takes balls. How'd you ever come up with those 3?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:42 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gander
Wow, you singled Ashkal Way, Henny Hughes and Bernardini? That takes balls. How'd you ever come up with those 3?
I looked at the Sheikhs and noticed they had big muscles and were too strong for us lowly americans. I collected my winnings and tooted my own horn repeatedly in private. Just wish others would toot their horns in private as well.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:44 PM
Keeneland

My point is this:

BFD that he likes the Sheikh's horses. Why bust his balls over it every minute?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:45 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajungator26
My point is this:

BFD that we bust his balls about liking the sheikh's horses.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
My point is this:

That's ridiculous and you know it. Nobody is coming close to busting " his balls over it every minute ". EVERY time anyone brings it up it is in response to yet another thread from him about how great the Sheiks horses are. If he wants to promote them he should be prepared to have to defend his thoughts.

And, frankly, he is.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:50 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackthroatedwind
That's ridiculous and you know it. Nobody is coming close to busting " his balls over it every minute ". EVERY time anyone brings it up it is in response to yet another thread from him about how great the Sheiks horses are. If he wants to promote them he should be prepared to have to defend his thoughts.

And, frankly, he is.
Funny, because I thought this thread was about Discreet Cat... not how great the colts' connections were.

And to be completely honest, I'd rather read a hundred threads about DC and Bernardini if it meant avoiding just ONE of the garbage posts (like the one this morning.)
Old 10-02-2006, 02:55 PM
Jerome Park

Didn't catch this morning's garbage post.

Like I said before, I like when Joel gets out the Godolphin pom-poms, as I am always eager to jump on them. I don't like them and I doubt I ever will. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Bernardini and Discreet Cat ( who they simply outbid everyone for after he had raced...the price is from $4 million to $10 million depending on who you believe ), among others, but I have no idea why people are impressed by Godolphin unless they have their hands in the Godolphin wallets.
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Yup, Joel, we all have our rooting interests. Myself, I root for my friends. I root for the Baltimore Orioles and I root for Nick Zito's horses. But, I don't constantly trump up their chances while ignoring reality. I am sure I am in some ways blinded but I try to at least keep my personal rooting interests in check when posting...or at least I am up front about it.

I like that you love Godolphin, it gives me constant opportunities to tease you, and you have to admit you open yourself up for it. My actual question is what is the genesis of this affection...if you don't mind.
Again, I like their HORSES...if Hitler owned Discreet Cat and Bernardini I would be a fan of the horses...I can't help who owns them..

I have never met or done business with ANYBODY affiliated with that group, so it isn't for any other reason other than they have the right horses that make me appreciate their operation as a fan of horse racing...period...

Hell, I know plenty of semi-big owners out there who I would much rather root for, but they don't have the right horses...it is one thing to root for people you want to see do well and it is another thing ton appreciate the beauty of greatness (Bernardini and Discreet Cat and Henny Hughes, etc.) when you see it - regardless of who owns it....the freakin' horses cannot control who owns them for God's sake
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM
oracle80

Quote:
Funny, because I thought this thread was about Discreet Cat... not how great the colts' connections were.

And to be completely honest, I'd rather read a hundred threads about DC and Bernardini if it meant avoiding just ONE of the garbage posts (like the one this morning.)
what was the garbage post cajun?
Old 10-02-2006, 02:58 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing
Again, I like their HORSES...if Hitler owned Discreet Cat and Bernardini I would be a fan of the horses...I can't help who owns them..

I have never met or done business with ANYBODY affiliated with that group, so it isn't for any other reason other than they have the right horses that make me appreciate their operation as a fan of horse racing...period...

Hell, I know plenty of semi-big owners out there who I would much rather root for, but they don't have the right horses...it is one thing to root for people you want to see do well and it is another thing ton appreciate the beauty of greatness (Bernardini and Discreet Cat and Henny Hughes, etc.) when you see it - regardless of who owns it....the freakin' horses cannot control who owns them for God's sake

I wouldn't root for horses that Hitler owned no matter how good they were....but that's just me. Maybe I only feel that way because it's Yom Kippur....but I doubt it.

By the way, not the analogy I would have made when defending my love of Godolphin.
Cunningham Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
Brass Hat IS a super horse. What he's accomplished is absolutely incredible considering the injury he had to come back from.
We are all entitled to our opinions here.....
Keeneland

Quote:
Didn't catch this morning's garbage post.

Like I said before, I like when Joel gets out the Godolphin pom-poms, as I am always eager to jump on them. I don't like them and I doubt I ever will. That doesn't mean I don't appreciate Bernardini and Discreet Cat ( who they simply outbid everyone for after he had raced...the price is from $4 million to $10 million depending on who you believe ), among others, but I have no idea why people are impressed by Godolphin unless they have their hands in the Godolphin wallets.
I don't like Godolphin either. Still... you can't hate their horses because they're owned by them. (Or I guess you could.) LOL What would happen if Bernardini got bought by Coolmore. Would you like him more or less then?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:00 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunningham Racing

So if Hitler would have owned Bernardini and DC you would have titled the travers thread...

Hitler will show his strength this weekend at the Spa

ROTFLMMFAO!
Old 10-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Jerome Park

Quote:
I don't like Godolphin either. Still... you can't hate their horses because they're owned by them. (Or I guess you could.) LOL What would happen if Bernardini got bought by Coolmore. Would you like him more or less then?
Who likes Coolmore? Certainly not me.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:02 PM
Churchill Downs

Where is the Hitler remarks coming from...

It's not like Joel was actually comparing the sheiks to Hitler

He was just using Hitler as an e x a m p l e.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Coach Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckyrosesinmay
Where is the Hitler remarks coming from...

It's not like Joel was actually comparing the sheiks to Hitler

He was just using Hitler as an e x a m p l e.
You seem upset. Are you and Joel having an online relationship?
Old 10-02-2006, 03:05 PM
Churchill Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow Pants
You seem upset. Are you and Joel having an online relationship?
No, I'm not upset. An internet message board rarely makes me upset. Its just that I know how he feels because people do the exact same thing to me.

No, other than friends. I would like to meet him one day though.

Last edited by kentuckyrosesinmay : 10-02-2006 at 03:09 PM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:07 PM
Keeneland

Quote:
Originally Posted by oracle80
what was the garbage post cajun?
The meras one.