Opinions Are Like Noses
Everybody Has One

But Each Smells Differently ~

WEB SITE LINK => www.RUFFIAN333.com
Old 04-29-2024, 04:38 PM
Oriental Park

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal828 View Post
We are probably all hoping we can make you and Digger work even harder this coming weekend.and that will probably be a certainty because of the extra money we will have to play with, but to tell the truth, I can't recall any gigantic scores for the Derby. Maybe this is the year that all changes.
Cal, I can only speak from personal experience, but I have often done much better on the Derby undercard and have then proceeded to give back my winnings on the Derby itself. There are just too many combinations and one of the bottom rungs of the tri or super slots will invariably be taken by a high priced horse who just runs evenly and lasts the 1 1/4 miles. The dilemma is figuring out which one that will be. I will admit to a couple of successes at decent prices on the Oaks/Derby double. One of the wonderful aspects of Derby day is how you can get really generous prices on very good horses on the undercard races, perhaps because of the infusion of money from once a year bettors.

Real Quiet might be able to tell us whether any of our group have made big ROI hits on the Derby contest or on the Derby itself. His records and recollection never fail to amaze me.

Last edited by JolyB : 04-29-2024 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-29-2024, 07:33 PM
Havre de Grace

I think the best I've done in recent years is to play a pick 3 ending in 7 or 8 of what seemed like logical Derby horses. Payed fair the first time I tried that, but not so good in later attempts because horses in the other two legs didn't pay much. Seems like it was Cody's Wish last year in one of the legs which brought the whole payoff down to a pittance, but it might have been some other horse and I don't think last year's winner Mage was very big odds either as I recall. Might give that a shot again in the chance that Fierceness has a chink in his armor, but I have to say, on paper, he looks like a world beater, if only we could be sure he will show up and run like he is obviously, capable of running.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:45 AM
The Curragh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolyB View Post
Real Quiet might be able to tell us whether any of our group have made big ROI hits on the Derby contest or on the Derby itself. His records and recollection never fail to amaze me.
My records are intact JB but my memory isn't quite what it never was. Anyway you are mostly right about Derby Day. In 16 years the last big hit was in 2011. Dance Smartly hit a big $1 trifecta and ended the day $1941 to the good . That is still good for 10th place on the list but Derby Day hasn't produced a lot of big hits. In fact the year after Dance Smartly hit the group got swept with a slew of minus $200's. The next best Derby Day was Ruffian's with a plus $785 (big shock.....her winner was Camelot Kitten). There were a mid range hits between $400 and $600 but all and all with a $200 bankroll the hits have been mid range.