Derby Trail Forums

Go Back   Derby Trail Forums > "At the Races with Steve Byk"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-20-2009, 09:49 AM
Cahokia Downs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdjcom
It's not one of the 10 factors for a strike. Steve Haskins does poke a little fun at John and I'm sure it's in the spirit of fun, however have you notice Steve Haskins nevers commits to his pick for any race anywhere anytime. At least Jon will speak his choice state why and stand by it.
and i've said i think he's right and we might see a west coast triple in derby. just my opinion. good-luck to you on derby day
I am just having some fun as well, It is one thing to make a pick, state why and stand by it. It is another thing to somehow bring your pick into every conversation. I can listen to Jon talk all day long, but when you here the same thing over and over it gets to the point where it is painful. Kinda like the guy that screams "Go in the Hole" after every Tiger shot...it gets old. We all know John likes POTN, like I said there will be possibly 19 other horses that can be discussed.
For me I would like to see a Triple Crown, I was too young to remember Affirmed and it looks like this years crop is fairly decent. After listening to all the talk, I feel if you like POTN, you may also want to throw in Hold Me Back in as well. For me, I am sticking with Desert Party.
What are the 10 strike factors and how exactly is a not running on dirt not one of them? I think I was mistaken with POTN's name, it looks like Pioneer and "of" are all one word...
Old 04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
Oaklawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogygian
I am just having some fun as well, It is one thing to make a pick, state why and stand by it. It is another thing to somehow bring your pick into every conversation. I can listen to Jon talk all day long, but when you here the same thing over and over it gets to the point where it is painful. Kinda like the guy that screams "Go in the Hole" after every Tiger shot...it gets old. We all know John likes POTN, like I said there will be possibly 19 other horses that can be discussed.
For me I would like to see a Triple Crown, I was too young to remember Affirmed and it looks like this years crop is fairly decent. After listening to all the talk, I feel if you like POTN, you may also want to throw in Hold Me Back in as well. For me, I am sticking with Desert Party.
What are the 10 strike factors and how exactly is a not running on dirt not one of them? I think I was mistaken with POTN's name, it looks like Pioneer and "of" are all one word...
The 10 factors are posted on xpress-bet under Jon's column, you do not have to be a member to view.
Old 04-30-2009, 02:56 PM
The Curragh

just heard his interview on tuesday...... wow he lays it on thick. To put it lightly he is very pround of his handicap abilities and thinks the world of his 3 strike system. after all he did call 1 of the 2 last triple crown winners, i fear the day steve has him back if pioneer of the nile takes down the kentucky derby..... brocco eh? tooooo much

-bt-
Old 05-05-2009, 04:59 PM
Newmarket

It's 6pm on Tuesday 5/5, time for MUST LISTEN radio!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
Del Mar

Here we go~
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hickory Hill Hoff
It's 6pm on Tuesday 5/5, time for MUST LISTEN radio!
Old 05-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Del Mar

Wait a minute, what did he just say....something like..he notced a horse as they turned for home on the rail and asked someone who it was, and it was Mind the Bird.

ahhhhh, sure, he caught that move as they turned for home.

Anyone else do that?
Old 05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
Newmarket

Strikes??? what about the pitch counts!

http://www.hickoryhillhoff.blogspot.com/
Old 05-06-2009, 10:31 AM
Coach Pants

I particularly loved the redboards. He's amazing.